Anybody here ever been to Croatia?

Yuval Levy

Yuval Levy
@purple
Reaction score
So, I'm planning my vacation with my family there for the next month, I came across a celebrity's page who has been there and I've seen comments like

"If you're already there, go to the centre of Split and shout: "Ja te volim Dinamo." You'll see the real generosity of Croatian people "

'Volim te Crveno Zvezdo!'

Za dom spremni with 3 finger up for the best results

Sing "Mars na Drinu"

Anybody have clues on what those phrases/things are? I'm pretty sure the reactions will not be nice but why?

Not yet, but it's near the top of my list of places to visit soon.

I have - more than once. The coast is beautiful and you will certainly have a great time.

I wouldn't advise using the second phrase in Split. #1. Crvena Zvezda is a Serbian team from Belgrade. #2 The Torcida are batshit crazy fans and will likely knife you.

The three finger salute is probably a bad idea too.

You should hit up the national park Plitvica. One of the most beautiful places that I've ever seen.

There is also Holocaust memorial in Jablanica - if you are into that kind of thing.

I have - more than once. The coast is beautiful and you will certainly have a great time.

I wouldn't advise using the second phrase in Split. #1. Crvena Zvezda is a Serbian team from Belgrade. #2 The Torcida are batshit crazy fans and will likely knife you.

The three finger salute is probably a bad idea too.

You should hit up the national park Plitvica. One of the most beautiful places that I've ever seen.

There is also Holocaust memorial in Jablanica - if you are into that kind of thing.

They have hooligans too?

Yes. Traveling the coast is great. Check out Korcula and Dubrovnic which was one of my favourite places in Europe. Just a fun fortress to explore and great water to swim in. Korcula is a mini Dubrovnic but a quiet small place to explore for a night.

They have hooligans too?

Sort of. They hate the English. I was hanging out with a group of 4 English guys and 2 from Copenhagen in Zagreb and we all went to a local bar. The english are typically loud as fuck and the locals hated us from the moment we arrived. When we finally left we were followed by maybe a dozen locals who started kicking them/us. Their biggest guy put me in a not so friendly headlock and said somthing about being english to me. I said I was canadian and was visiting my friend Mirko (as in crocop) he got confused after hearing me say those things and let me go. The others got kicked and punched but nothing serious, it was like barking dogs letting us know to get the fk outta their town.

If you are not trolling, then I'd suggest skipping everything you've been told to say.

"Ovo je SRBIJA" means "This is Serbia" ...you won't have a nice time going around saying this.

"Torcida" is hooligan group from Split, so saying it up north in the continental region won't get you any fans. Same goes for saying "ja te volim Dinamo" down south. Dinamo is a football club from the capitol, Zagreb. Torcida and Bad Blue Boys(Dinamo hooligans) don't like each other that much.

"Zvezda" is a Serbian footbal team. Yeah, skip that one also.

Three finger salute while saying "za dom spremni" oh man, someone really hates you. Three finger salute has Serbian meaning in Croatia and "Za dom spremni" is a Ustash salute(youtube it if youre curios enough).

The coast is awesome, if you're into partying and meeting chicks the season is kinda winding down. However if you wanna just chill and go sight seeing the booking prices are like cut in half this late into the summer. I'd suggest visiting the mainland up north once winter hits. It has it's charms. Lot of stuff to do and see.

Best advice for settling the language barrier is buying booze. No one says no to free drinks.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks a lot :)

No problem, If you're with local people that are kind enough to be your guide you'll get away with saying silly stuff like that. However you'll send the wrong message if you go on your own saying those things. But seriously, best way to get people to like you is buying them booze. There isn't a person who will wish you ill will once you buy them drinks. It's a safe investment.

whatever website is giving you phrases, I would shit can it.

Previous poster had very good advice.

To be fair, it isn't that uncommon to troll foreigners with those phrases. Look at what Werdum learned from training with Cro Cop. Too us, it's hilarious shit.
[YT]9U7mk-PTEj0[/YT]

whatever website is giving you phrases, I would shit can it.

Previous poster had very good advice.

It's Vitalyzdtv's fanpage. He posted a picture about him being in Croatia, and people have been telling him to say those phrases because he will experience "The Generosity of the Croatian nation"

If you have a death wish, then use those phrases lol.
Croatia beaches are awesome, at least what I remember from my childhood days. I'm from Bosnia btw

So, I'm planning my vacation with my family there for the next month, I came across a celebrity's page who has been there and I've seen comments like

"If you're already there, go to the centre of Split and shout: "Ja te volim Dinamo." You'll see the real generosity of Croatian people "

Sing "Mars na Drinu"

Anybody have clues on what those phrases/things are? I'm pretty sure the reactions will not be nice but why?

Everyone will think you are a serb, and pelt you with stones.

Sing "Mars na Drinu"

If you're trying to get killed than this would be a good start.

Only been to Split and it was a backpacker, out of season.

Notes

1) I met some awesome people at my hostel but outside of that, nobody (this was say, May)....the hostel has since won the award of best worldwide hostel. And rightfully so. Owner would show up with a keg of Heineken each night, and watch football with us, free of charge, before we went out and he returned to his family.

2) Beautiful city, but after 11pm, the old town (the most stunning part) shuts down and youre forced to enter shocking Croatian clubs.

Id heard Vlar was amazing but full of millionaires...only a short boat from Split but my shorts and t-shirt made sure I never felt confident I could actually penetrate that island.

Back