Anybody have insight on the ATOS Strength and Conditioning Program?

Lol. He went up one weight class. The dude's put on 13 lbs at most, come competition time. Hardly the case study for PED use, even if he is on them.

3 of those lbs were bone in his jaw and forehead. lol

He's burning fat as well, also probably at a calorie deficit so 13 lbs is better than I'd expect.

Most people just get skinny that way, burn too many calories and not recover enough.

I doubt you can even train 3 times a day without steroids for any length of time unless you had nothing else to do.

One way I keep my weight up is keep the weight up on my main lifts but I gained my muscle a long time ago.

i've been training twice a day & 4-5 days a week for the last 6 months. I also have a very demanding career as well....and i'm 30.

If i can do it, then those medal chasers in their early 20s with no job should not have a problem.

ATOS/AOJ guys train a lot, but they spend the majority of their time drilling instead of going balls to the wall sparring.

i've been training twice a day & 4-5 days a week for the last 6 months. I also have a very demanding career as well....and i'm 30.

If i can do it, then those medal chasers in their early 20s with no job should not have a problem.

ATOS/AOJ guys train a lot, but they spend the majority of their time drilling instead of going balls to the wall sparring.

That's not really the point, you ain't gaining no mass that way without very unusual genetics

Perhaps a naturally heavy guy could pull it off but some of these guys are skinny.

Nah.

Once I had a conversation with both Rafa & Gui over their training routine and regular jiujitsu days.

Basically what they told me was how they train 3 times a day every single day except weekend, sleep between training and eat clean. Now I know this is not breaking news but most of these guys from Atos: Keenan, Carbullido, Torres, etc they do exactly the same, they are not like regular folk training 2 hours a couple of nights a week with 8 to 5 jobs.

I

3 of those lbs were bone in his jaw and forehead. lol

He's burning fat as well, also probably at a calorie deficit so 13 lbs is better than I'd expect.

Someone planning to go up a weight class probably isn't training at a caloric deficit. At least, not if they expect to gain any weight.

Andre and Rafa have passed World Anti Doping Agencey drug tests(same ban list as the Olympics but only day of testing)(obviously testing can be beat but I'm kind of skeptical that people in a sport that doesn't pay anything have the resources to get cutting edge undetectable stuff).

edit: Fixed my post to point out that it wasn't true "olympic style" drug testing. Even still, in my mind the fact that they passed those tests means you should probably have something more than a picture if you want to accuse someone of cheating.

anyone who has a better body than me or is better at grappling than me AND is not on my team is cheating. this is known. so lots of cheaters out there.

Someone planning to go up a weight class probably isn't training at a caloric deficit. At least, not if they expect to gain any weight.

Exactly and 3x a day puts you there in most cases.

Other problems that come into play here like testosterone levels falling due to overtraining, even if you had the calories your hormones are shot. It's not very realistic.

You don't see pro bodybuilders on boatloads of steroids doing that much cardio because they'll kill their gains.

Pro BBs take grams of steroids a week, I would guess these guys are in the 2-500mg range. Any more would kill their cardio.

Last edited:
for the guys at my gym, the main benefits of steroids is mostly the amount of training and recovery they can now do, although the increase in size obviously helps

Andre and Rafa have passed World Anti Doping Agencey drug tests(same ban list as the Olympics but only day of testing)(obviously testing can be beat but I'm kind of skeptical that people in a sport that doesn't pay anything have the resources to get cutting edge undetectable stuff).

edit: Fixed my post to point out that it wasn't true "olympic style" drug testing. Even still, in my mind the fact that they passed those tests means you should probably have something more than a picture if you want to accuse someone of cheating.

AFAIK Ibjjf has no random drug testing. It's almost impossible to catch someone juicing when you tell him what dates he will be tested.

bicycle, nomsayin?

This. Repped.

Once I had a conversation with both Rafa & Gui over their training routine and regular jiujitsu days.

Basically what they told me was how they train 3 times a day every single day except weekend, sleep between training and eat clean. Now I know this is not breaking news but most of these guys from Atos: Keenan, Carbullido, Torres, etc they do exactly the same, they are not like regular folk training 2 hours a couple of nights a week with 8 to 5 jobs.

I

Why the animosity my friends? I'm not accusing anyone of any wrong doing at all. I just find these results amazing. You don't?

As I assumed when you made this post, its a thinly veiled attack on Atos.

In any case, even if steroids were a prereq to join Atos steroids are better than rape.

Or are you just upset that JT and Keenan are doing better than ever since they left? And that DJ is doing terribly?

Can we ban this clown again?

Last edited:

Suppose that someone IS doing steroids and they go through a remarkable change in physique. And, because they can now train far more often, get much better.

Do you really think they'll tell you "I got this good because steroids let me train much more frequently than the average person" or "I got this good because I got all my shit together perfectly"?

If nothing else, trusting what people say outright is silly.

And given that there are MANY illegal supplements that are virtually undetectable out there, you'd be naive to think that they haven't tried at least some of them. Especially given what is at stake for these people.
i doubt high level BJJ blackbelts have enough money to buy high tech undetectable enhancement drugs. remember, these are BJJ athletes, not baseball/basketball/football millionaires

looking at the posted pics, i would be highly suspicious of those body transformations. Not normal gains for any athlete, pro or recreational.

i doubt high level BJJ blackbelts have enough money to buy high tech undetectable enhancement drugs. remember, these are BJJ athletes, not baseball/basketball/football millionaires

Your random-ass amateur and pro-BBers use steroids on a daily basis, and BBing pays you jack shit too.

The issue isn't so much with the money it takes to get "good" steroids, but rather the testing.

If the testing is stringent and random, then your claim may have a case. But many here are saying that the testing done by the IBJJF is anything but stringent and random.

And steroid users have a fun saying that I'll paraphrase here because I don't remember it correctly - if you fail a blood test that you know is coming, then you're a dumb-ass.

Exactly and 3x a day puts you there in most cases.

Other problems that come into play here like testosterone levels falling due to overtraining, even if you had the calories your hormones are shot. It's not very realistic.

These guys have a huge level of freedom in what they can do. Sleep for 10+ hours a day, eat as much as necessary, etc. Professional athletes the world over manage to do this same stuff without issue.

Frankly, if any profession was in the position to radically change their physique, it'd be a professional athlete, PED's or not. And these guys undoubtedly train like professionals.

Funny that when I saw JT a few months ago, he looked exactly the same as he did when he trained under a rapist.

Of course, he has been training at the black belt level for much longer than these other guys. Could that possibly have anything to do with it? Weird!

Funny that when I saw JT a few months ago, he looked exactly the same as he did when he trained under a rapist.

Of course, he has been training at the black belt level for much longer than these other guys. Could that possibly have anything to do with it? Weird!

Not to mention that he is also older than these other guys.

I mean we act surprised that a teenager gains weight as he gets into his 20s :rolleyes:

I don't know if any of them are on PEDs or not but its very natural and easy for someone 18-19 to gain 20+ lbs of lean mass by the time they are 21-22, especially if that person does nothing but train for a living.

edit: One more thing - Mike Carb never competed as a middleweight, AFAIK. He was a small heavy weight, then went down to middle heavy for a while and back and forth. Now he is a solid heavyweight.

And Keenan is still at Middle-heavy, where he has been for a while.

I don't know if any of them are on PEDs or not but its very natural and easy for someone 18-19 to gain 20+ lbs of lean mass by the time they are 21-22, especially if that person does nothing but train for a living.

It is one thing to gain 20+lb of lean mass over a period of 3-4 years (Already a remarkable thing in of itself and something most physique trainers would say is pretty damned good) and another to gain 20+lb of lean mass while gaining no fat at all along with it or otherwise not doing anything that looks like a cut or a diet phase.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not think competitive BJJ folks would be taking the time to do a diet phase, since that would probably cut into their training time.

Back