Anybody familiar with BTT professor Ricardo Marques? and his student Leo Saggioro?

JonTheJudger

Gouki
@Green
Reaction score
I realized since the big focus to MMA back in the early 2000s, it seems like the BTT don't shine as much at the podium like they used to.

One guy I have been recently a fan of is Leo Saggioro. I'll be honest, I didn't really hear of him before him taking the gold at the 2012 Brasileiro. But I kept an eye on him during the 2012 worlds and he tore through one guy at the quarter finals with a RNC! (even with the gi :p) Anyways, his run came short against Cobrihna in the semis after getting choked. But he did score a nice takedown/sweep before getting caught.

Anyways, on a side note, I recently purchased the 2012 Worlds and he put Justin Rader out cold via triangle within the first couple minutes at the qualifiers!

Unfortunately, there is not much footage on him, I came across this video against Rafa at the 2011 worlds. He was doing good putting pressure, and Rafa could not initiate his berimbolo, but unfortunately Leo gets caught in a highlight reel inverted triangle ala Braulio at the end...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7edbJgTbfI

I wanted to find out who is his professor, apparently its Ricardo Marques. Who I also am not familiar with, but it appears he gave Diego Gamonal's BB. And also, as a fun fact, he was the one who trained Bernardo Faria before his switch to Alliance!

Does anybody know more about Ricardo's school? It seems to me, amongst a BTT school, these guys seems to be the one in few who train heavily in sports BJJ and make it to the podium (and Renan Borges).

Back