Anybody ever get a deviated septum from Muay Thai/Boxing/Fighting?

cptsteve21

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So I just got back from the doctor's office, and apparently I have a pretty bad deviated septum, which has caused me to not been able to breath right for about 2 months.

Anybody else get something similar from fighting?

I'm supposed to get surgery soon. After I take a good amount of time off to let the nose fully heal, I want to know how reasonable it is to go back to Muay Thai/MMA? I'm super passionate about the sport, but can't even afford this surgery let alone another if it happens again.

I'm really bummed about this :icon_sad:

A person can have a deviated septum even without being involved in combat sports. Some people have it as a congenital byproduct. It's common.

I wouldn't think you'd really have to worry about it again. Even in Muay Thai...I don't see too many broken noses in the gym. In fights, that another story.

i never knew i had one. i got my nose broken by a knee the doctor said "it is broke in 4 places.. oh and you have a deviated septum" i was like what the fuck

Got one from boxing in my third or fourth time sparring. Stupid coach didn't teach me any defense before he put me in the ring. Sparred the first couple times with more experienced guys and got hit alot but had no problems cause they held back cause they knew I was new. Then I went in with another noob and he went nuts and I got cracked right on the nose.

Deviated septum so I can't breathe out of my right nostril very well, and it's hard to breathe at all out of my nose when I got even a slight cold or have allergies.

Went to the doctor and he said that unless it's really effecting my stamina or my comfort, there's no point doing surgery if I'm gonna keep boxing cause it could just happen again.

That was almost two years ago. I've had 23 fights with it and it's not a big issue, but my stamina has never been quite the same since. I usually end up breathing out of my mouth the enitre time. Thankfully I have a great chin haha.

I had my nose pushed off on the side of my face by a kick when I was sparring a friend in college. Doc reset it and it's been crooked ever since. I've thought about getting it fixed but figured I'd wait until I'm completely done with martial arts (which may be never.) I've had it broken twice since then(both times in training) so it was the right decision.

My present doc gave me a script for singulair which helps open up my nasal passages and lets me breath easier. I don't take it very often though as I don't have that much of an issue breathing typically.

I would tell your doc that you do mma. Once your nose heals you may be breathing a bit easier and I think it's kind of pointless to get work done on your face that could just get smashed the next time you train. (Unless you can't keep your mouth closed and breath in which case I'd get it fixed before I started getting knocked out from my jaw hanging open.)

That was almost two years ago. I've had 23 fights with it and it's not a big issue, but my stamina has never been quite the same since. I usually end up breathing out of my mouth the enitre time. Thankfully I have a great chin haha.

The days I do take singulair my stamina seems to be better as I breath a lot easier. You might want to ask your doc about it. It's a low impact med like aspirin.

Any other opinions?

One more thing to consider, I'm planning on upping my boxing rather than Muay Thai very soon. Lots more blows to the face once I start sparring again. How much has fighting w/ one nostril hindered you guys?

Dude just get it fixed and then wear one of those clear plastic facial masks while sparring.

Got one from boxing in my third or fourth time sparring. Stupid coach didn't teach me any defense before he put me in the ring. Sparred the first couple times with more experienced guys and got hit alot but had no problems cause they held back cause they knew I was new. Then I went in with another noob and he went nuts and I got cracked right on the nose.

Deviated septum so I can't breathe out of my right nostril very well, and it's hard to breathe at all out of my nose when I got even a slight cold or have allergies.

Went to the doctor and he said that unless it's really effecting my stamina or my comfort, there's no point doing surgery if I'm gonna keep boxing cause it could just happen again.

Exact same thing with me, I got caught with a right hook by an MMA glove and instead of hitting my chin/jaw it just CLIPPED my nose and crunch, deviated septum. Still can't breathe for shit out of my right nostril, it is very annoying and has effected stamina a bit, but my doctor said no point in fixing it if i'm going to continue fighting.

Hello ,good day!Sorry for the bother.
Did anyone have a 100% enlarged nasal perforation due to the operation to straighten the nasal septum?
Does it bleed all the time and you can't breathe through your nose?
Thank you

I had my nose pushed off on the side of my face by a kick when I was sparring a friend in college. Doc reset it and it's been crooked ever since. I've thought about getting it fixed but figured I'd wait until I'm completely done with martial arts (which may be never.) I've had it broken twice since then(both times in training) so it was the right decision.

My present doc gave me a script for singulair which helps open up my nasal passages and lets me breath easier. I don't take it very often though as I don't have that much of an issue breathing typically.

I would tell your doc that you do mma. Once your nose heals you may be breathing a bit easier and I think it's kind of pointless to get work done on your face that could just get smashed the next time you train. (Unless you can't keep your mouth closed and breath in which case I'd get it fixed before I started getting knocked out from my jaw hanging open.)
agreed, a broken jaw is a lot worse than a broken nose.

So I just got back from the doctor's office, and apparently I have a pretty bad deviated septum, which has caused me to not been able to breath right for about 2 months.

Anybody else get something similar from fighting?

I'm supposed to get surgery soon. After I take a good amount of time off to let the nose fully heal, I want to know how reasonable it is to go back to Muay Thai/MMA? I'm super passionate about the sport, but can't even afford this surgery let alone another if it happens again.

I'm really bummed about this :icon_sad:

you can fight again.......if you want to. I say go for it.

There are guys out there fighting with one arm. You're passionate, i'm sure you can find a work around easily.

I have one, it's common. I got it when I was 18 after I took a knee right to the face. Doctor said the inside of my nose looks like my cauliflower ear and the septum is push all the way to the right. I couldn't breath out of it correctly for a year but now...either i'm use to it cause I know it seems I can breath better. Hardly get bloody noses now too since then which is cool. Doctor said surgery would fix it but no sense if you're going to get punched in the face again. Continued to train/fight the next 10 years or so with it with no problems

I opted out of surgery. Surgery didn't sound fun and there's a good chance i'll spar again.

Back