Anybody ever get a deviated septum from Muay Thai/Boxing/Fighting?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by cptsteve21, Jul 9, 2010.

1. cptsteve21

cptsteve21 Purple Belt

So I just got back from the doctor's office, and apparently I have a pretty bad deviated septum, which has caused me to not been able to breath right for about 2 months.

Anybody else get something similar from fighting?

I'm supposed to get surgery soon. After I take a good amount of time off to let the nose fully heal, I want to know how reasonable it is to go back to Muay Thai/MMA? I'm super passionate about the sport, but can't even afford this surgery let alone another if it happens again.

I'm really bummed about this :icon_sad:

2. SAAMAG

SAAMAG San Antonio Applied Martial Arts Group

A person can have a deviated septum even without being involved in combat sports. Some people have it as a congenital byproduct. It's common.

I wouldn't think you'd really have to worry about it again. Even in Muay Thai...I don't see too many broken noses in the gym. In fights, that another story.

3. bragglefraggle

bragglefraggle Purple Belt

i never knew i had one. i got my nose broken by a knee the doctor said "it is broke in 4 places.. oh and you have a deviated septum" i was like what the fuck

4. Cdn_Fight_Fan

Cdn_Fight_Fan Green Belt

Got one from boxing in my third or fourth time sparring. Stupid coach didn't teach me any defense before he put me in the ring. Sparred the first couple times with more experienced guys and got hit alot but had no problems cause they held back cause they knew I was new. Then I went in with another noob and he went nuts and I got cracked right on the nose.

Deviated septum so I can't breathe out of my right nostril very well, and it's hard to breathe at all out of my nose when I got even a slight cold or have allergies.

Went to the doctor and he said that unless it's really effecting my stamina or my comfort, there's no point doing surgery if I'm gonna keep boxing cause it could just happen again.

That was almost two years ago. I've had 23 fights with it and it's not a big issue, but my stamina has never been quite the same since. I usually end up breathing out of my mouth the enitre time. Thankfully I have a great chin haha.

5. Gorack

Gorack Purple Belt

I had my nose pushed off on the side of my face by a kick when I was sparring a friend in college. Doc reset it and it's been crooked ever since. I've thought about getting it fixed but figured I'd wait until I'm completely done with martial arts (which may be never.) I've had it broken twice since then(both times in training) so it was the right decision.

My present doc gave me a script for singulair which helps open up my nasal passages and lets me breath easier. I don't take it very often though as I don't have that much of an issue breathing typically.

I would tell your doc that you do mma. Once your nose heals you may be breathing a bit easier and I think it's kind of pointless to get work done on your face that could just get smashed the next time you train. (Unless you can't keep your mouth closed and breath in which case I'd get it fixed before I started getting knocked out from my jaw hanging open.)

6. Gorack

Gorack Purple Belt

The days I do take singulair my stamina seems to be better as I breath a lot easier. You might want to ask your doc about it. It's a low impact med like aspirin.

7. cptsteve21

cptsteve21 Purple Belt

Any other opinions?

One more thing to consider, I'm planning on upping my boxing rather than Muay Thai very soon. Lots more blows to the face once I start sparring again. How much has fighting w/ one nostril hindered you guys?

8. SteelHammer

SteelHammer Green Belt

parts unknown Occupation: asskicker TrainingStyle:
    Dude just get it fixed and then wear one of those clear plastic facial masks while sparring.

9. Boxer123

Boxer123 Guest

Exact same thing with me, I got caught with a right hook by an MMA glove and instead of hitting my chin/jaw it just CLIPPED my nose and crunch, deviated septum. Still can't breathe for shit out of my right nostril, it is very annoying and has effected stamina a bit, but my doctor said no point in fixing it if i'm going to continue fighting.