Anybody ever been humbled but thankful for it?

Matt Majorz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I didn't realize how stagnant my game has gotten until I rolled with somebody about my own size/ strength tonight.(I'm 6'4" about 245 or so, he was about 6'1" 230) I have been training for about 6 months now, and him about a month or so I think, but this is the first time I rolled with him. Since I am usually much taller/stronger than the other guys I roll with I have gotten VERY lazy because I can just get on my back and work from there. Well I tried all of the same lame stuff with him, but he kept his posture and his arms tucked in. Granted he just postured up and played only defense the whole time, but man was it frustrating not to even be able to secure an arm.

Looking back I should have just opened up, tried to sweep, get him off balance and go to work, but for the whole roll I just sat there like a damn bump on a log trying to do the same move over and over again with no success. But afterwards I was happy about it in a sick sense because he will force me to up my game and get way more active and better. So it was a frustrating day but a good day at the same time. Anybody else ever have those types of days?

congrats progression is the key man

At least 1/2 the days I train, maybe all of them =)

um when i get tore up when im rolling im thankful
cuz then it is like humble pie.
It just shows me how much i suck.

um when i get tore up when im rolling im thankful
cuz then it is like humble pie.
It just shows me how much i suck.

That's pretty much how I felt....like "dumbass, you accomplished absolutely nothing"... I was getting way toooo comfortable, even though I am still very new to the game. This was a big wake up call, and I am very thankful it happened. I think having him in the class will up both of our games in the future.

I was at an open mat today, and rolled with some other blue belts for a while, working my normal game and training hard. A white belt, who was a good bit bigger than me was sitting doing nothing, so I asked him if he wanted to roll.

I weigh about 160 right now, and he is probably around 200. Usually if I am going versus a bigger guy around my level, I don't notice it too much, as I am working very hard.

Anyway, I was being very relaxed and just letting him work moves and going slowly in between transitions, telling him some stuff as we went. I found out it was his first day he was allowed to roll (you must go to 20 fundamental classes before rolling at my gym). I also found out he just got done getting tapped every 10 seconds by two of the more aggressive, egotistical guys
there. I swept him, then let him recompose his guard. He in my lack of attention, he latched on a kimura and started working to finish. At first I was feeling okay, but I couldn't get out of it. I ended up using his lack of balance and rolling to my back where he didnt have as much leverage, then ending back up in his guard where I eventually passed and freed my arm. During the whole endeavor, he even said that he didn't want to push too hard and hurt me, to which I responded I would tap if it was too bad.

That is the only time ego has ever gotten in the way of me tapping, and that is probably only because it was his first actual time rolling. I feel pretty silly about the whole thing, especially after he was telling me about how great the aggressive guys were. I will definitely pay more attention in the future, and hopefully not just zone out versus a new guy again. Lesson learned, slice of pie eaten.

I had a similar experience rolling with a brown belt the other day...

I can hang with the blues/purples at my school, so I was getting too comfortable with my usual half-guard/x-guard game. Then he destroyed it mercilessly. It was a great (and humbling) learning experience that I wish could happen more often.

Nope never!Only been subbed 8 times and each time it was close and usually back and forth!

Also I've only been subbed by advanced guys,blues and purples!

I'm not joking at all I've been doing Jiu-Jitsu,Submission Grappling for going on 3 years and training MMA for over a year!Maybe it will happen one day but I doubt anytime soon!

If you seriously have only been subbed 8 times, you need to start training with more people that are better than you.

I'm not joking at all I've been doing Jiu-Jitsu,Submission Grappling for going on 3 years and training MMA for over a year!Maybe it will happen one day but I doubt anytime soon!

you need to go to a better gym...

Either you are the next BJ Penn or your gym is not even close to top notch. I'm guessing you should get out to a new place that has some better jiujitsu guys. Or are you pulling a Kramer and only going to the kids classes?

i remeber when i first joined muay thai... i went in there thinking i'd be able to hold my own... i scrapped a lot in bars and the streets and thought i would run shit....

i was wrong, i was humbled and it made me a better person haha

Back