Anybody else shave their legs?

c0r1nth14n

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So, as the title implies, since I started Muay Thai I've started shaving my legs. Before MT I never really wore shorts anywhere, but once I started I was showing off this jungle of leg hair every time I went to class. I train with Koreans, and whether they shave or just naturally have no leg hair, these guys are all smooth as a baby's bottom. On top of that, I was bandaging my legs with pas whenever they'd get bruised up (at least once a week), then removing the pas would tear out a chunk of hair, leaving me looking like I had mange or something. So one day I grabbed my electric razor, shaved them down, and I've kept them like that ever since.

I know lots of guys would say this was "gay" or whatever, but I was curious if this is common with fighters.

That actually sounds like a good idea, since I'm asian I don't have much hair but I think it might make kicking just a TINY bit more comfortable.

if you need hair to prove you' re a man, you' re a pussy anyway

That's pretty much exactly how I feel, but I'm anticipating at least a few replies explaining how shaving your legs is terrible, complete with barely-concealed misogyny and homophobia :p

u can probably kick their asses since u actually fight.

no need to get upset over a few internet tough guys with latent homosexuality

Competitive cyclists and swimmers shave their legs to reduce wind drag, and they say it improves their times, so "technically" speaking, it should also make your kicks faster. Of course, I wouldn't want to count on the additional speed. :icon_lol:

:icon_chee

i shaved my legs for some time, but stopped, way too much effort for basically nothing imo, at least in my case.

shave them if it makes taking off bandages less painful. Who cares what people think nahmsayin. Seems like alot of effort tho

As long as your boyfriend is OK with it, nobody else's opinion matters.

:icon_chee

OMG dude, seriously, you shave your legs? Hell no, I would never do that! I am too proud of my manliness to effeminate myself like that. I bet you shave your chest too don't you? I bet you are a real smooth boy, perfectly groomed like a gay model. Embrace that inner woman! :icon_lol:

I used to shave for wrestling and for cycling... No need to do for Jiu Jitsu... if I was doing no gi I would though, not gonna lie.

While I was bandaging up my ankles, I shaved both legs so that it didn't hurt to pull the tape back off, now I only shave the leg with my tattoos to keep them nicer looking.

So, as the title implies, since I started Muay Thai I've started shaving my legs. Before MT I never really wore shorts anywhere, but once I started I was showing off this jungle of leg hair every time I went to class. I train with Koreans, and whether they shave or just naturally have no leg hair, these guys are all smooth as a baby's bottom. On top of that, I was bandaging my legs with pas whenever they'd get bruised up (at least once a week), then removing the pas would tear out a chunk of hair, leaving me looking like I had mange or something. So one day I grabbed my electric razor, shaved them down, and I've kept them like that ever since.

I know lots of guys would say this was "gay" or whatever, but I was curious if this is common with fighters.

Well i'll tell you something thats kinda funny.

Me, I've got thick leg hair (but not on my chest ...go figure). Now , when i kick the bag , i can just murder it. The only thing is if i've taken some time off (even a week) its not the impact that hurts , its my bloody hair getting ripped out 2 or 3 at a time. Even then its not like it gets ripped like in a waxing. Its like slow torture.
When the impact happens , all my shin hair gets pulled but doesnt come out (think like a snakebite/indian burn to the arms we'd do as kids). Then maybe one or two gets yanked. It doesnt kill but when that happens over a 60-70 kicks it does.

So what i do is i just shave the front of my shins ....all along the impact zone :icon_lol:
The hair then , shaped by the repeated bag trauma, grows the way it should (those that take the brunt of the force dont grow, others grow flat or away).

Of course for a week or two i probably look pretty stupid but hey it works....i can hit that heavy bag maximum power for as long as i want and not be constrained by pain.

OMG dude, seriously, you shave your legs? Hell no, I would never do that! I am too proud of my manliness to effeminate myself like that. I bet you shave your chest too don't you? I bet you are a real smooth boy, perfectly groomed like a gay model. Embrace that inner woman! :icon_lol:

I think ppl who start their sentence with 'OMG' shouldnt be calling out other ppl about their supposed manliness or ........lack of.

Normally I would say its romo, but you seem to have a good practical reason to do it.

Man up and get your girlfriend to wax them.
The pain will make you stronger!

i did it once or twice but it wasn't worth it for me. but I also got remarks about it being kinda gay. I didn't care.

Man up and get your girlfriend to wax them.
The pain will make you stronger!

haha, just yesterday she said i should come get a wax with her next time she goes.

As for everyone saying it's a lot of work - if you have an electric razor, it seriously takes maybe 5 minutes a week, and I'm a pretty hairy guy. They don't need to be perfectly smooth, you just go over the legs once a week with an electric, and it's all good. By now I've just come to like the way it looks. It seems a bit sharper than when I had leg hair all over.

Back