Anybody else shave their legs?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by c0r1nth14n, Oct 23, 2010.

1. c0r1nth14n

c0r1nth14n Blue Belt

So, as the title implies, since I started Muay Thai I've started shaving my legs. Before MT I never really wore shorts anywhere, but once I started I was showing off this jungle of leg hair every time I went to class. I train with Koreans, and whether they shave or just naturally have no leg hair, these guys are all smooth as a baby's bottom. On top of that, I was bandaging my legs with pas whenever they'd get bruised up (at least once a week), then removing the pas would tear out a chunk of hair, leaving me looking like I had mange or something. So one day I grabbed my electric razor, shaved them down, and I've kept them like that ever since.

I know lots of guys would say this was "gay" or whatever, but I was curious if this is common with fighters.

2. FadeIntoViolenc

FadeIntoViolenc Orange Belt

That actually sounds like a good idea, since I'm asian I don't have much hair but I think it might make kicking just a TINY bit more comfortable.

3. My little Tony

My little Tony Orange Belt

if you need hair to prove you' re a man, you' re a pussy anyway

4. c0r1nth14n

c0r1nth14n Blue Belt

That's pretty much exactly how I feel, but I'm anticipating at least a few replies explaining how shaving your legs is terrible, complete with barely-concealed misogyny and homophobia :p

5. FadeIntoViolenc

FadeIntoViolenc Orange Belt

u can probably kick their asses since u actually fight.

no need to get upset over a few internet tough guys with latent homosexuality

6. Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi Ryukyu Damashi

No need to stop at the legs, shave you boys too :)

7. ECS123

ECS123 Purple Belt

Competitive cyclists and swimmers shave their legs to reduce wind drag, and they say it improves their times, so "technically" speaking, it should also make your kicks faster. Of course, I wouldn't want to count on the additional speed. :icon_lol:

:icon_chee

8. kinchan

kinchan Guest

i shaved my legs for some time, but stopped, way too much effort for basically nothing imo, at least in my case.

9. BigInJapan

BigInJapan Green Belt

shave them if it makes taking off bandages less painful. Who cares what people think nahmsayin. Seems like alot of effort tho

10. Cannon_6

Cannon_6 Green Belt

As long as your boyfriend is OK with it, nobody else's opinion matters.

:icon_chee

11. UltimateOllie

UltimateOllie White Belt

OMG dude, seriously, you shave your legs? Hell no, I would never do that! I am too proud of my manliness to effeminate myself like that. I bet you shave your chest too don't you? I bet you are a real smooth boy, perfectly groomed like a gay model. Embrace that inner woman! :icon_lol:

12. Spoken

Spoken Gold Belt

I used to shave for wrestling and for cycling... No need to do for Jiu Jitsu... if I was doing no gi I would though, not gonna lie.

13. Clint07

Clint07 You like blood? Violence? Freaks of nature?

While I was bandaging up my ankles, I shaved both legs so that it didn't hurt to pull the tape back off, now I only shave the leg with my tattoos to keep them nicer looking.

14. NuTzOnSwOll

NuTzOnSwOll Purple Belt

Well i'll tell you something thats kinda funny.

Me, I've got thick leg hair (but not on my chest ...go figure). Now , when i kick the bag , i can just murder it. The only thing is if i've taken some time off (even a week) its not the impact that hurts , its my bloody hair getting ripped out 2 or 3 at a time. Even then its not like it gets ripped like in a waxing. Its like slow torture.
    When the impact happens , all my shin hair gets pulled but doesnt come out (think like a snakebite/indian burn to the arms we'd do as kids). Then maybe one or two gets yanked. It doesnt kill but when that happens over a 60-70 kicks it does.

So what i do is i just shave the front of my shins ....all along the impact zone :icon_lol:
    The hair then , shaped by the repeated bag trauma, grows the way it should (those that take the brunt of the force dont grow, others grow flat or away).

Of course for a week or two i probably look pretty stupid but hey it works....i can hit that heavy bag maximum power for as long as i want and not be constrained by pain.

15. NuTzOnSwOll

NuTzOnSwOll Purple Belt

I think ppl who start their sentence with 'OMG' shouldnt be calling out other ppl about their supposed manliness or ........lack of.

16. Sohei

Sohei Manning the air

Normally I would say its romo, but you seem to have a good practical reason to do it.

17. thirteen

thirteen Brown Belt

Man up and get your girlfriend to wax them.
    The pain will make you stronger!

18. Douglas Funnie

Douglas Funnie Green Belt

i did it once or twice but it wasn't worth it for me. but I also got remarks about it being kinda gay. I didn't care.

19. UltimateOllie

UltimateOllie White Belt

Like whateverrr :icon_chee

20. c0r1nth14n

c0r1nth14n Blue Belt

haha, just yesterday she said i should come get a wax with her next time she goes.

As for everyone saying it's a lot of work - if you have an electric razor, it seriously takes maybe 5 minutes a week, and I'm a pretty hairy guy. They don't need to be perfectly smooth, you just go over the legs once a week with an electric, and it's all good. By now I've just come to like the way it looks. It seems a bit sharper than when I had leg hair all over.