Anybody else guilty of Breaking "Gym Dates"

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Jack Handy jr, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Jack Handy jr

Jack Handy jr Silver Belt

I use to love working out with a Partner but seems when I got involved in other commitments I started breaking gym dates. I felt worse about this than standing up some chick I'd had agreed to meet on some dating site.

Then it started happening to me and I was pissed. never knew how much I "fed" off of my lifting partner's energon. Now that I'm older and lift by myself . I have to reeaally get my self psyched up intensity wise. Now mind you I've been in a gym of some sort since 1992. And though I'm a solo lifter now when I work in with someone I feel the same inexplicable energy bump. anybody else experience this?

2. Rex Poppa Pump

Rex Poppa Pump BANG BANG NINERS GANG Platinum Member

Nope, I always lift alone. My friends don't even lift, bro. They do "spinning classes" whatever that is.

3. Fenderson

Fenderson Purple Belt

Jesus. Men do spinning classes?

4. Jack Handy jr

THANKS FOR THROWING ME A BONE REX. have you ever had a partner? i'll admit that I had better gains and more intensity when I had a lifting bro.

5. pokerandbeer

pokerandbeer Green Belt

Theres really non point in having a partner in my opinion unless you just need a spot for bench which can easily be rectified by lifting in a power rack.

6. Fenderson

Fenderson Purple Belt

I lift with my brother which is handy. We've both got the same goals and most of our lifts are the same bar a kg or 2. I guess its good because none of us want to be the one who lifts less than the other.

7. Rex Poppa Pump

Rex Poppa Pump BANG BANG NINERS GANG Platinum Member

Not really, I wouldn't mind having one if we had similar goals. It would probably help on those days where you're feeling crappy.

8. Da Speeit

Da Speeit Plutonium Belt Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    Yep. Girlfriend wants me to wait til 8pm when the gym is going to be fucking packed on my DL day. Go fuck yourself.

9. Jack Handy jr

I was forced to participate in a spin class during the academy. I felt my testosterone levels dropping with every pedal.lol

10. Jack Handy jr

I disagree. my personal experience and opinion ids that for some reason you feed off of your lifting bro's energy. you push each other to do one more rep past failure you challenge each other by lifting heavier. when you're by yourself I've found that my intensity level can be there or not be there.

11. LatFlare

LatFlare EADC

Watching a snail crawl along a straight razor.
    I believe its called "spyynning" where the second "y" is silent, or maybe the first, who really knows. Apparently its all the rage these days.

12. Ethan

Ethan Green Belt

I have a friend who swears by them, but we have like a 7 month winter and he races road bikes so it's probably about muscle memory or some such shit.

13. ballhawkdawk

ballhawkdawk ****ing Gumshoe's dad

I've been at the same gym for 1.5 years now and we have some decently strong lifters, so I work in from time to time, but I don't do gym dates. I show up when I want, do what I want, and leave when I want. Being tethered to someone else at the gym just wears me out mentally. I prefer to be left alone and just listen to my music.