Anybody else excited for the start of Bare Knuckle FC?

MuayThai101

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

Idk about you guys but i always loved watching bare knuckle fights on youtube. Whether it was Kimbo in his prime or a bunch of gypsies going at it beside a camp site. Its so raw that even boring fights are still more enjoyable than boring regular boxing fights.

This is a great first step to making bare knuckle fights a norm. It will grow and soon more states will start to sanction it with the amount of research starting to come out supporting the fact that bare knuckle fights are more safe in terms of brain trauma. Gloves protect the attacker and allow much harder punches. This is number 1 bullshit. Punches need to be placed properly with fantastic technique everytime otherwise you will hurt yourself. This is how fighting should be like.

MMA and Muay Thai should go in this route too. It will change the entire game. In Muay Thai you will see more elbows and kicks. Same thing for MMA, plus improving BJJ with no more glove holding. You will see tons more rear naked chokes.

Fighting needs to be realistic. Gloves are one of the worst things we came up with.

giphy.gif

I'm not excited because I love muay thai the way it is and the big gloves are a big part of it. Almost all of the techniques I love doing and seeing rely on the gloves.

But you make good points - I just don't necesarily agree with "Fighting needs to be realistic". I don't think it needs to be realistic and even so, what is "realistic"? What is a "real fight"? is it a bare knuckle fight on a ring with a judge under a certain ruleset?

I think we can appreciate muay thai in all rulesets without arguing which is better or so.

Big glove makes for good defensive guard game whereas small gloves encourage evasive movement and certainly makes muaythai look more lethal. I like that.

Small glove muay thai will give us more scenarios for street fighting without glove as well. And tracing back history, muay thai was for fighting barehand for the SOLDIERs so nothing wrong with going a bit back to old tradition.

Nothing more annoying than people trying to make realism points when talking about fight sports. What exactly is a "real fight"?

Nothing more annoying than people trying to make realism points when talking about fight sports. What exactly is a "real fight"?

For example i got into a street fight around half a year ago.

Bad day bad attitude wrong time.

I had an injured left shoulder so was not being able to throw punches.

Not comfortably throwing barehand punches as well because my fists are loose when I punch in gloves/ handwrap.

I threw 6 leg kicks in a row. Totally forgot about about my elbows.

Thats the difference when I never use elbows in sparring while elbows are perfect for fighting barehand. Completely forgot that I could use them (Beside right kick they are my best weapons hitting pads as well)

Small gloves fighting does encourage movement since small glove cannot block strikes as effectively as big gloves so they does represent more of barehand streetfighting.

A real fight involves a lot of people around to help-fuck or just look at you.

Knifes, guns, anything that can be throwed, no rules (until the cops come).

Combat sports are not real fights(and that is very good to begin with), this kind of realism cannot be simulated...

For example i got into a street fight around half a year ago.

Bad day bad attitude wrong time.

I had an injured left shoulder so was not being able to throw punches.

Not comfortably throwing barehand punches as well because my fists are loose when I punch in gloves/ handwrap.

I threw 6 leg kicks in a row. Totally forgot about about my elbows.

Thats the difference when I never use elbows in sparring while elbows are perfect for fighting barehand. Completely forgot that I could use them (Beside right kick they are my best weapons hitting pads as well)

Small gloves fighting does encourage movement since small glove cannot block strikes as effectively as big gloves so they does represent more of barehand streetfighting.
That still doesn't explain to me what a "real fight" is. How is that any more real than say, Saiyok vs Yi Long?

If we start defining "real fights" as street fights, then you are subject to even more variability as all street fights are different experiences. If you go by the notion that gloves aren't realistic because they aren't in street fight scenarios, then you may as well get rid of 1 vs 1 fights all together because that isn't realistic under street fight situations either.

How about street fight one on one without gloves / weapons.

Lets say Siyok vs Yi Long would look a lot more brutal and close to the time Muay thai (boran) was made (for the soldiers to kill) with small gloves.

If you ever fight in the street / in big gloves you will understand what I mean.

I am not saying fighting in big gloves are worse so please dont get butthurt.

Maybe since i fought barehand quite a few time since youth, it does trigger more brutality in me so I enjoy it more.

Big gloves are really technical though. I stil watch most fight on Muayties. But small gloves once in a while does satisfy the need to see brutality in me haha.

One big thing about street fight is awareness, if i sense there is more people i always play nice to evade or run right away.

How about street fight one on one without gloves / weapons.
You can't dictate what happens in a street fight. If you do, it's no longer "realistic".

I think you're missing my point. I understand the difference between fighting with gloves and without.

Without gloves doesn't make it more "realistic" however. A fight is a fight.

If you get into a street fight you've already lost.

I usually use the Mystic Triangle Offense to scare them away. Winning without throwing a punch is the real win.
Yi_Long-Triangle_Offense.jpg

i thought i read it somewhere muaythai change kard cheuck to boxing glove because somebody die ? and now they going back to bare knuckle ? :(

i thought i read it somewhere muaythai change kard cheuck to boxing glove because somebody die ? and now they going back to bare knuckle ? :(
Head kicks and elbows are probably more lethal than bare knuckle punches

Without gloves doesn't make it more "realistic" however. A fight is a fight.

It does. You can't deny that it's a step closer towards that.

The reason I'm into martial arts and combat sports is not because it's like a "real" fight, but I'm also not delusional enough to deny that gloves make it less "real", or that including grappling like in MMA is a step closer towards a "real" fight.

And no I'm not saying "real" fights are 1on1 duels. I'm saying the more rules and protective equipment, the less close to "real" fighting it is.

I'm not excited because I love muay thai the way it is and the big gloves are a big part of it.

Muay Thai with hand wraps like in Thai Fight or with MMA gloves like in One is kinda cool too though you gotta admit.

On topic, I watched some of the fights of the event and they were all pretty low level. The fights were mostly just bloody brawls... I've seen better bare knuckle fights in the UK for sure.

I love boxing and always will. I think boxing is doing well at the moment and its fine how it is but bare knuckle boxing is just lower skilled boxers boxing each other without gloves. Not sure if the sport will grow much and I'm always gonna prefer watching boxing on HBO or PBC over bare knuckled.

Why cant they switch it up and have it under some type of kb or mt rule set. Just look at Burmese boxing. Some of the videos on their main YouTube channel gets a ton of views and that's a sport in a fairly unknown country. Surely a sport like that could do well if promoted well in the US. If you have to make something bare knuckle that would be the most interesting instead of having it under boxing because there is too much competition out there.

It does. You can't deny that it's a step closer towards that.

The reason I'm into martial arts and combat sports is not because it's like a "real" fight, but I'm also not delusional enough to deny that gloves make it less "real", or that including grappling like in MMA is a step closer towards a "real" fight.

And no I'm not saying "real" fights are 1on1 duels. I'm saying the more rules and protective equipment, the less close to "real" fighting it is.
Agree to disagree. I understand it changes the dynamics, so does the difference between Boxing glove and MMA glove, but I disagree that it somehow makes the fight realer. It just makes it different.

For me, a fight in a ring with two professionals that had trained for it is every bit as real as a fight as a barenuckle brawl in the streets.

Last edited:
Very subjective discussion

If the purpose is to make it more real you could aswell remove weight classes. Or why not go a step further, allow all strikes and dirty moves? Including eye pokes, punching someones ball etc. Or why not allow guns? Allow the fighters friends to jump in?

The real world is highly unpredictable, a sport in a ring will not resemble real situations no matter what ruleset. What is normal is different from place to place and from person to person. When i was in middle school one on one fights were realistic. Later being aware of drunk fucktards that wanted to fight became realistic. Even then, the most realistic weapon has been social awarenes and in worst case clinching them up and neutralizing them. Even real life has rules (laws), not worth getting fined. If someone had a knife on the other hand, the most realistic thing was to avoid those guys. There are so many possible outside of the ring scenarios it's hard to say something is realer than anything else.

Maybe if you live in some place where perfectly fair 1 on 1 street fights are common that is the most realistic thing.

Back