Anybody else disappointed in Galvao's fight in strikeforce?

it's almost a crapshoot. Damein maia is doing well in mma and andre isn't. And Andre is a much more athletic than Damein is.... wierd...

it's almost a crapshoot. Damein maia is doing well in mma and andre isn't. And Andre is a much more athletic than Damein is.... wierd...

depends on the trainers and motivation i guess?

he had a very short time between his previous fight and this one. he moved, opened his own gym. his family is still in brazil. he was at 200lbs before cutting weight. i think all these things made it hard for him to really be prepared for this level of opponent.

his bjj is amazing, regardless of whatever he does in the mma world.

WTF? 200 pounds? NO WAY in the world all 5'7 of Galvao is was or ever will be 200 lbs. I don't believe that for a second.

Exactly. Luke Stewart let everyone know Galvao wasn't going to be anything in MMA.
No offense to him or his fans, but he has not - and likely won't - transition well.

Pfft, he's seven fights into his career which has not exactly been the weak opposition Maia faced in the opening seven fights of his career. Though he should have lost to Luke Stewart and got the nod against Jason High.

Give the guy time to get it together before you write him off. Getting comfortable with prizefighting isn't going to happen over night.

What's interesting is comparing him to Roger Gracie, who's had a decent transition. Roger claims to train very little stand-up, too. If Galvao would work a lot on his stand-up, he'd stand a better chance of being a serious competitor.

Man, i felt sort of replacing shame @those shots, especially because there are always discussions about Bjj and takedowns.
Well i hope it was because he was rocked .

thats what i dont like about the state of bjj today, people just think its good for fighting off ur back, we have great athletes once it hits the ground but not enough proficient in takedowns, u can have great groundwork but if ur judo is lacking then your jiu jitsu is incomplete

i wish schools would split training more evenly for takedowns and ground

why dont they?

Last edited:
disappointed? Yes. Really that surprised? Not really.

Do you really get invested in MMA fights as if this was a style vs. style? Woodley is a better striker and he proved it. He landed that first shot and Galvao was on queer street up until the finish. Galvao's biggest liability in MMA is that he gets tagged and dropped a lot, and that's a big problem in MMA.

What's interesting is comparing him to Roger Gracie, who's had a decent transition. Roger claims to train very little stand-up, too. If Galvao would work a lot on his stand-up, he'd stand a better chance of being a serious competitor.

but roger is 6'4'' has a big reach and a decent jab and has been training boxing on and off for several years.

WTF? 200 pounds? NO WAY in the world all 5'7 of Galvao is was or ever will be 200 lbs. I don't believe that for a second.

agreed, that is highly unlikely... even when Galvao was fully beefcaked up when he won the meio pesado (187lbs/85kg) mundials title in 2008, i would have found it hard to buy that he was walking around at 200lbs/90kg, let alone now.

In any case, a 30lb weight cut would not be an optimal component of anyone's mma prep (unless you are Brock :))

I think he was never too athletic in a strength / power perspective, he controlled his body very well but always was kinda slow and I haven't seen anything from him that would let me thinks he's strong (high level strong I mean). His technique is IMO his biggest asset.

Maia, on the other hand, always seemed very much in control of whoever he was fighting, he has great squeeze power and slow strength.

Marcelo and Jacare always seemed the most physically gifted fighters.

As others have said, he got rocked early and I think that threw off his game. Woodley seems to be picking up striking and jits alot faster than Galvao is picking up striking and wrestling. And Tyron is likely a more dynamic athlete.

I dunno man, I do not want to make any excuses for the guy but dam man, I did not know who he was until I read about him here, but man I was like what the F is wrong with that guy??? Did he cut too much weight? Why he looks like shite? I guess you do look bad when you go against higher level of competion.

Tough matchup for Galvao. Especially with T-Wood having a great gameplan and working on his Muay Thai before the fight. Check out this interview prior to the fight complete with footage of Woodley training Muay Thai.

YouTube - Tyron Woodley Interview

he obviously does not like getting punched

Galvao mentioned in an interview that he didn't remember anything after the first punch.

Also said he shoudl have declined the fight, as he wasn't able to train with the necessary focus..

Dunno man i do not want to bash on the guy, but why go into MMA if you cant punch and stuff like that, I am sorry man but relying on your amazing Gi-BJJ skills is just not enough

I admit I haven't yet watched the fight, partly because I was so disappointed from reading the live play by play.

With the Palhares loss and then this Galvao fight, as well as Almeida's, I've been a little down about MMA. And Marcelo's fight and Maia's last loss are still fresh on the mind as well, as are Penn's recent performances. Of course there have been plenty of positives as well.

Back