Anybody else disappointed in Galvao's fight in strikeforce?

ProdigyOfZen

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think his performance was pretty lackluster and maybe he goes the way of Marcelo Garcia in MMA? He did not set up any of his takedown attempts and woodley is very good on the ground, not only with his wrestling but also his submissions.

When I was looking at Woodley's credentials and his wins I was thinking Galvao was in trouble.

What do you think? He just kept getting tagged evertime he went in.

he didn't set them up because he was pretty much out on his feet the entire time, he never recovered from that first punch

It was pretty pathetic if you ask me. He needs to do some serious work on his stand up

He looked pretty bad, but it was a horrible matchup for him style-wise. Woodley is much better on the feet (not really saying much, Galvao's standup is pretty bad), and is a great wrestler. Galvao is obviously much better at submission, but how was he supposed to get the fight to the ground against an all-american level wrestler who looked to be much stronger?

He looked pretty bad, but it was a horrible matchup for him style-wise. Woodley is much better on the feet (not really saying much, Galvao's standup is pretty bad), and is a great wrestler. Galvao is obviously much better at submission, but how was he supposed to get the fight to the ground against an all-american level wrestler who looked to be much stronger?

Pull guard?

I honestly think that punch rocked him early on and he never recovered.

Does that mean I think he could have won? I'm not sure , I just dont think we saw Galvao at his best.

I was really disappointed, but I'm a big Galvao fan. Those takedown attempts were atrocious, but he got rocked right off the bat, so it's hard to say if he was with it.

This.

Woodley was stronger, a much better striker and with his wrestling he decided where the match took place.

Besides that, Galvao grappling in mma hasn't been that great anyway so pulling guard may not have been a good option either.

Pull guard?

I was thinking the same thing, but the problem is even to pull guard he just didn't have the chops on his feet to get in close enough to get the clinch. In order to set up a clinch with or without strikes you need to have good footwork or great timing.

I'm pretty disappointed.

Firstly because I'm a fan.

Secondly because he postponed a seminar at our academy to take this fight. I would have been nice for him to have won.

I was thinking the same thing, but the problem is even to pull guard he just didn't have the chops on his feet to get in close enough to get the clinch. In order to set up a clinch with or without strikes you need to have good footwork or great timing.

Best bet is to get in on a single or something, and even if you can't finish it, pull guard. But yah, I doubt it would have mattered.

I honestly think that punch rocked him early on and he never recovered.

this, more than anything. it looked like he'd never been hit hard before, and never really got over that first punch. watching the replay, the shots that Tyron was throwing, weren't really landing clean but AG was just laying on his face not doing much, which i think led to the stoppage.

Tyron is a beast, and it was a bad matchup for Galvao regardless, imo.

He is specialized into 1 sport which is BJJ, MMA is a completely different beast.

Even the best wrestlers have difficulty getting the takedown when its obvious they want to take the fight to the ground.

galvao got ko because he actually tried those sloppy ass shots against an all american d1 wrestler, it made me feel embarrassed cuz i was hypin galvao up to some friends

@ Rod1, bjj was not intended to be a sport but now academies focus on the grappling aspect too much when it really was designed for vale tudo

edit: a big part of jiu jitsu is timing your entry into clinch range by countering strikes but that training is lost in sport grappling

galvao got ko because he actually tried those sloppy ass shots against an all american d1 wrestler, it made me feel embarrassed cuz i was hypin galvao up to some friends

Man, i felt sort of replacing shame @those shots, especially because there are always discussions about Bjj and takedowns.
Well i hope it was because he was rocked .

he had a very short time between his previous fight and this one. he moved, opened his own gym. his family is still in brazil. he was at 200lbs before cutting weight. i think all these things made it hard for him to really be prepared for this level of opponent.

his bjj is amazing, regardless of whatever he does in the mma world.

think his striking looks worse than it did when he fought in japan...

Besides that, Galvao grappling in mma hasn't been that great anyway

Exactly. Luke Stewart let everyone know Galvao wasn't going to be anything in MMA.
No offense to him or his fans, but he has not - and likely won't - transition well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back