Any word on UFC 242 buys

jenspulverizer

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I'm very curious, Khabib is supposedly this big star (not saying he is or isn't) but how well did it sell? I've see nothing regarding figures, I saw stories saying it should be huge and then nothing. If UFC 242 sold over a million Khabib is a big star and should be celebrated as such.

Don’t think we’ll ever get the full story, the numbers are tracked differently in international markets with no PPV, but all indications seem to be that it was a blockbuster hit world wide, but especially in Russia and Asia. So the UFC got exactly what they wanted out of it, expand the market.

They don’t release numbers anymore so we’ll never know. From what I’ve seen judging based off social media and such, it appeared to be a hit. But who knows.

I'm very curious, Khabib is supposedly this big star (not saying he is or isn't) but how well did it sell? I've see nothing regarding figures, I saw stories saying it should be huge and then nothing. If UFC 242 sold over a million Khabib is a big star and should be celebrated as such.
The worst part about the ESPN era is that now everything is controlled by ESPN and the UFC.

Starting with UFC 237, Dave Meltzer hasn't been able to obtain ESPN+ PPV buy numbers to update the tapology website :(

https://www.tapology.com/search/mma-event-figures/ppv-pay-per-view-buys-buyrate

it is 2019
PPV buys will not give you the entire picture

why?
i) ESPN deal means UFC gets guaranteed money on all events
ii) the event was overseas and at a time that UFC's biggest PPV audience is not used to - UFC does not usually do this, i.e., they hold the event at a weird local time to air at north american time
iii) the arab oil barons probably paid UFC a lot of money to offset lost ppv money and lower ad revenue for not being on during prime time north american time
iv) khabib a big draw in russia/east europe/perhaps middle eastern countries. you need to think about UFC's TV deals in those countries

I think PPV is only in the U.S.. ESPN destroyed the PPV model but to be fair it was slowing down before them. The mouse just helped speed up the process. So to answer your question the PPV numbers are in the toilet. If they were great Dana would be talking about them.

It aired live on a saturday afternoon in the States. That has to be taken into consideration.

Too early to make good numbers on PPV land, unless it was a PPV in Russia or something it had to make low numbers, a friend of mine that is a casual was looking to watch when it was already over, cant be the only one.

internationally, PPV numbers aren't that relevant. it's TV viewers.
Khabib is a much bigger star in the middle east and Russia than in the US, which is why PPV numbers doesn't tell the real story

Any confirmed numbers to what the buyrate was?

Back