Any update on Mauricio Shogun Rua after his loss to AG?

lol the way Shogun fans talk about his knees, you would swear he was a paraplegic

After his last few fights I don't see how he would beat Hendo or Machida. I'd favor him over Glover and Mousasi but not by a lot. The Shogun that fought Vera and Gus would get totaled by Machida and Hendo

you're not paying much attention while watching said fights, are you?

yeah he looked like crap vs vera, i'll give you that, but he landed some really good shots on gustafsson. there was no shame in losing that fight. if you think henderson or machida could do the same things gustafsson did, you're giving them too much credit.

lol the way Shogun fans talk about his knees, you would swear he was a paraplegic

give him 15 years. Just when normal guys will be getting a bit creaky in the joints, he'll be on the motorised scooter

After his last few fights I don't see how he would beat Hendo or Machida. I'd favor him over Glover and Mousasi but not by a lot. The Shogun that fought Vera and Gus would get totaled by Machida and Hendo

I thought Shogun looked good in the Gus fight. Way better than he did in his last few fights.

you're not paying much attention while watching said fights, are you?

yeah he looked like crap vs vera, i'll give you that, but he landed some really good shots on gustafsson. there was no shame in losing that fight. if you think henderson or machida could do the same things gustafsson did, you're giving them too much credit.

With his knees there is no way he can replicate how he fought Machida. The reason he hasn't fought like that since isn't based on game plans... it's based on him being unable to do it. I give light on his feet Shogun the edge on Machida all day but plodding Shogun would get killed. And Hendo gassed himself trying to finish Shogun which was a huge error. I would give him the edge in a second fight as well. I'm aware Hendo and Machida are unable of replicating what Gus did...no one is Gus is too unique but Hendo and Machida have their own ways of winning and imo would

With his knees there is no way he can replicate how he fought Machida. The reason he hasn't fought like that since isn't based on game plans... it's based on him being unable to do it. I give light on his feet Shogun the edge on Machida all day but plodding Shogun would get killed. And Hendo gassed himself trying to finish Shogun which was a huge error. I would give him the edge in a second fight as well. I'm aware Hendo and Machida are unable of replicating what Gus did...no one is Gus is too unique but Hendo and Machida have their own ways of winning and imo would

i'm not saying shogun would beat machida, but saying that machida and henderson could beat him due to his performance against gustafsson is highly suspect.

in their fight, henderson "gassed" because he doesn't have much of a tank. did you see his fight vs shields? if he can't finish it early, he's getting dominated late. shogun also went into that fight hurt, without much a training camp, and still came within an inch of winning. i envision a healthy shogun with better td's beating henderson rather easily.

a fight vs machida would be a toss up. either machida wins a decision, or shogun catches him again.

Just fun fights and a memorable retirement matchup .

i'm not saying shogun would beat machida, but saying that machida and henderson could beat him due to his performance against gustafsson is highly suspect.

in their fight, henderson "gassed" because he doesn't have much of a tank. did you see his fight vs shields? if he can't finish it early, he's getting dominated late. shogun also went into that fight hurt, without much a training camp, and still came within an inch of winning. i envision a healthy shogun with better td's beating henderson rather easily.

a fight vs machida would be a toss up. either machida wins a decision, or shogun catches him again.

I liked how he looked against Gus but it was still nothing like the Shogun who fought Machida or Chuck and people still think it is. I think in his Gus fight he looked like he had adapted and fought well but he was still plodding forward and relying on his chin instead of fight light, using his speed and leg kicks effectively. I think that 3rd knee surgery after UFC 113 was the last straw for him and we'll never see Shogun fight like he did before. And that's why I think he'd lose those fights. It's not that he looked bad against Gus. But you can't say he looked at all similar to the old Shogun. It was a completely different style

IDK lt really looks like they just patch him up and send him out there to put on a show of heart. He either CAN'T train because of his knees or just doesn't .. Either way, most of his fights are hard to watch as a result.

He used to have decent head movement and footwork to go along with his power and heart . . . he just moves forward like a heavyweight that's just been slugged .. it really isn't the same guy that fought Machida. For what ever reason

I am a Shogun fan, i like this guy, but i really don't believe him anymore... Talking the true, his cardio is really bad and his standup technique isn't that great, he just has a heavy hand and a big heart, and that isn't enough to get Jones' belt..

I pretty much feel the same way.

It is very hard to comment on Shogun in any optimistic way, despite being a huge fan of his since 2005.

Without his hugely powerful kicks he just is not the same fighter, and we've not seen them used effectively since the first machida fight.

His knees are shot, his cardio seems to be shot because of this and he is now undersized for the division...

But in seriousness, he is closer to being a gatekeeper than a contender, might as well make some good fights.

If they give him another title shot Im going to punch a baby. Shogun has gatekeeper writen all over him. There is new talent like Jones, Gus, Glover etc. maybe Cormier that are leauges above Shogun that came out of Pride with a totaly broken knee and a fat belly.

I'm pretty confident he would beat Henderson if they fought again. People don't realize he was injured and barely trained for that fight.

When will people stop making bullshit excuses like not training for a fight, especially a fight of that magnitude?

When will people stop making bullshit excuses like not training for a fight, especially a fight of that magnitude?

I'm evaluating the fight and have to take that into account.

and would also get "totaled" by Glover and Mousasi

Haven't heard from Shogun since his loss at Fox 6. As a huge Shogun fan, it seems that recapturing the title is quite unrealistic at this point.

I'd just like to see him get a nice win streak going before he retires.

Thiago Silva- Glover - Mousasi - Machida III- Hendo II and call it quits.

He loses to Machida and Hendo, and a fight with Glover or Mousasi could go either way.

Give him the loser of Evans/Rogerio.

I think he can hang with anyone not named Jon Jones at lhw. Anyone he fights will be in for a rough night.

Probably somewhere in a resturant eating a meal he shouldn't be.

Come at me brah!

But in seriousness, he is closer to being a gatekeeper than a contender, might as well make some good fights.

Closer to being a gatekeeper.

You are just silly!

Back