Any tips for better mitt/pad work?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by K1ngMe, Jan 15, 2015.

1. K1ngMe

K1ngMe White Belt

I've been training kickboxing for about 5 months now, and we do a lot of mitt/pad work in our classes. My form is pretty good, and my strikes are quick and powerful. But my real problem's that I can't remember the combos during pad work and haven't been seeing any major improvement!! For example, my coach would call something like "jab, slip, straight, roll, straight, hook, roundhouse", but when I attempt to do it I would completely mess it up. . I'm alright at everything else like sparring, heavy bag drills, etc but my pad work is just awful. Hell, I can hold mitts for my partners WAY better than I can actually hit mitts. Does anyone have any tips to help me get better at this? Thanks.

2. Harukaze

Harukaze Brown Belt

Go slowly on the first 2-3 passes with your holder calling out the combo out move by move. Then start picking up the speed and have your holder call out the move only if you balk; his pads should be held in such a way that you'll have a hint of what to do next. Should click within a half dozen passes or so; if it doesn't, it might not be a naturally flowing combo haha. Also, when the coach first goes over the combo, pantomime it a bit during the lesson. Good luck!

3. SaiWa

SaiWa Black Belt

this.

if you can't do it at normal speed then slow it down. concentrate on your form without power or speed. then once your mitt holder tells you that it's good then you can speed it up...

4. GoatyP

GoatyP Blue Belt

I thought that too when I first started... 3 years later and I feel farther and farther from what I first felt.

5. Kanka

Kanka Black Belt

Yeah. If you are training for combination don't put too much focus on speed and power. Start slowly until you learn the combination without thinking.

6. a guy

a guy Black Belt

Lol everyone thinks they have good form, and that their strikes are quick and powerful after a few months. Then a few years later look back and think "man, I used to hit like a little bitch".

7. Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi Ryukyu Damashi

Why are you training combos in the pads? Why not reaction based pad work?

8. DoctorTaco

DoctorTaco Breadhead

Do you guys assign numbers to the strikes? The combo you described for example would be a 1-slip-2-roll-3-10. Easier to remember IMO