Any tips for a Muay thai guy sparring against boxers

Why do you assume that every pro boxer is better than Joe Rogan at fighting? There are fat, sloppy pro boxers who can't throw a punch worth a shit.

but he would not stand a chance against a pro boxer with a reasonable record in their prime at his weight class......

Do you even read posts...........engage brain before you type something........

Where did he say it was a pro boxer with a reasonable record?

Was you a pro boxer in a former life that carried over the brain damage to this life..........oh wait you can't be......you can't throw a punch.....

Was you a pro boxer in a former life that carried over the brain damage to this life..........oh wait you can't be......you can't throw a punch.....

From one troll to another, why do you resent Rogan so much? Is it because he's taller than you?

If you are sparring under MT rules against a strict boxer, then just clinch, elbow, knee him, and when he tries to get away, you kick him.

So I mainly train in muay thai and Im now doing some sparring against boxers at a boxing gym.
They guys Im sparring against are actual boxers and far more experienced than me obviously.
Im having trouble closing the distance (they are all way taller and heavier than me)
And i think in general boxers are way harder to hit than in muay thai. Better head movement and defense

I ate a few hard shots today and I need to work on my defense, once im inside I feel i do better.
Its hard not to throw an occasion leg kick or teep when im in trouble and see an opening.

Supermen punch actually worked well for me today because they were really weary of my legs, everytime i lifted my knee out of habit their hands dropped way down. Obviously that wont work forever

Im obviously not spacetime dropping pro boxers left right and centre

In KB, you can rely on your kicks to step up your hands or to set up a closing step to get within reach. Also KB has more targets for you to hit.

Everything becomes harder in certain ways when your tools and options are limited. Boxers are not more elusive than KBers. They just know their ruleset better.

When you stand up straight like a periscope every lite grazing punch knocks you backwards and you are off balance. Since you can't kick it's completely worthless. Even if you could kick, it's still a really bad place to be, your weight going backwards and off balance unable to be able do anything.

latest
Forward, Down, Down/Forward + Punch. Usually that does the trick for sparring against boxers.

Dude if they're heavier and taller than you, you're not learning anything. Especially if you are sparring them and you're just getting yourself hurt.

Learn to Jab man, a lot. It's the starting punching and the ending punch to all Combos. Learning Jab will give you the basic fundamentals to slip, parry, feint, punch your way into a taller heavier man guards and or distance.

Dude if they're heavier and taller than you, you're not learning anything. Especially if you are sparring them and you're just getting yourself hurt.

Learn to Jab man, a lot. It's the starting punching and the ending punch to all Combos. Learning Jab will give you the basic fundamentals to slip, parry, feint, punch your way into a taller heavier man guards and or distance.

This

His default posture is not leaning back, he only goes there for a split second when pulling back for a sneaky dodge. Also same with Floyd. No one else in boxing can really get away with this, even the other defensive wizards like sweetpea don't pull back (for good reason).

There's only one of these guys alive at a time, they bend a lot of rules that even the other super talented guys around them don't dare to. Probably not the best thing to learn when training

Yeah Thats one good lesson I learned sparring, my jab sucks!! I was getting out jabbed constantly. In MT I really just use the jab as a set up for kicks or combos. Sometimes just throwing it as a distraction more than anything.
And I was actually surprised at how hard they were going in sparring. It was supposed to be 60% but was way more.
Im going to get a few private sessions and focus on some boxing basics. My boxing footwork felt aweful and closing the distance felt hard. The combos I threw felt good and were sharp but i was gassing out hard. I need to be more relaxed

Yeah Thats one good lesson I learned sparring, my jab sucks!! I was getting out jabbed constantly. In MT I really just use the jab as a set up for kicks or combos. Sometimes just throwing it as a distraction more than anything.
And I was actually surprised at how hard they were going in sparring. It was supposed to be 60% but was way more.
Im going to get a few private sessions and focus on some boxing basics. My boxing footwork felt aweful and closing the distance felt hard. The combos I threw felt good and were sharp but i was gassing out hard. I need to be more relaxed

Can't you spar lighter to get into it first? I'm not sure you'll learn much getting steamrolled at that level of contact. You'll probably just panic and throw arm punches.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know what level of a boxer an average, pure Nak Muay is. It would tell us how important boxing is to the sport.

I would also like to know how big of a spread in abilities there are - are some quite good and some quite poor, or are they all fairly uniform in their boxing proficency?

My advice is very simple, but of the most importance, when sparring boxers in boxing rules.

Don't kick. They get a bit shirty about that.

So I mainly train in muay thai and Im now doing some sparring against boxers at a boxing gym.
They guys Im sparring against are actual boxers and far more experienced than me obviously.
Im having trouble closing the distance (they are all way taller and heavier than me)
And i think in general boxers are way harder to hit than in muay thai. Better head movement and defense

I ate a few hard shots today and I need to work on my defense, once im inside I feel i do better.
Its hard not to throw an occasion leg kick or teep when im in trouble and see an opening.

Supermen punch actually worked well for me today because they were really weary of my legs, everytime i lifted my knee out of habit their hands dropped way down. Obviously that wont work forever

Im obviously not spacetime dropping pro boxers left right and centre

i cross train boxing too. I think at this point in the game and the way the sport is evolving. Cross training boxing is pretty much a must now IMO. Anyways just keep boxing man, you need to learn how to box, the head movement, rythym, and footwork are different. Just remember you can do whatever you want with your feet as well as your head as compared to MT.

If you are sparring under MT rules against a strict boxer, then just clinch, elbow, knee him, and when he tries to get away, you kick him.

lol i thought the same thing at first, how do i beat a boxer? just kick him lol

Back