any thoughts on ufc fightnight

Just watched this fight. Wasn't what I expected. I was expecting Machida-esque slide and glide teflon karate which it started out as then Horiguchi turned into a more skilled karate version of Gomi.

He got caught plenty of times and while I didn't really see him being anything but the clear winner if he didn't have a very good chin or Montague hit harder I think he'd have been in trouble.

He hits hard, is fast, has a good chin, looks physical strong with good gas but is wild with it and I think a good counterer will catch him. TDD needs work but definitely exciting to watch once he gets going.

I think his willingness to be offensive and do damage contributes to his getting hit; even then he isn't as hittable as other guys who attempt to do the same, he is much more measured than those guys. Not as measured..defensive as a machida..but he isn't easy to hit..or to put a series or combination on imo

Just watched this fight. Wasn't what I expected. I was expecting Machida-esque slide and glide teflon karate which it started out as then Horiguchi turned into a more skilled karate version of Gomi.

He got caught plenty of times and while I didn't really see him being anything but the clear winner if he didn't have a very good chin or Montague hit harder I think he'd have been in trouble.

He hits hard, is fast, has a good chin, looks physical strong with good gas but is wild with it and I think a good counterer will catch him. TDD needs work but definitely exciting to watch once he gets going.
Horiguchi is much more willing to engage than Machida. It's a bit of trade off. Machida stays out of range for much of the fight and barely gets hit, while Horiguchi is less apprehensive to get stuck in there and duke it out when he has the chance. That's why the guy has just as many KO's as Machida in half the fights. It's undeniable though that Horiguchi has much better control over the distance in a fight than many other guys.

I think his willingness to be offensive and do damage contributes to his getting hit; even then he isn't as hittable as other guys who attempt to do the same, he is much more measured than those guys. Not as measured..defensive as a machida..but he isn't easy to hit..or to put a series or combination on imo

Definitely more offensive and aggressive than Machida which I like and clearly he responded when told that he needed to fight. BUT the way he comes in because of his style leaves him somewhat open, his head is up and he flys in. He looks to have a good chin though because the shots he did take seemed to do nothing but I'm just worried when he meets a heavy hitter who is able to time him coming in.

Back