Any supps for constant joint pain and muscle pulls/tears?

IkkussSpikkuss

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
I don't usually come onto the supp/diet forum, but I thought you guys might have some suggestions for me.

I've beena pro/ametuer fighter now for about 10 years. I'm in my early 30's now and I can feel my body breaking down. I think I got at least a few more years of competition in me if I can just muscle throught training sessions, but I'm having problems doing that because:

1.) My lower back, knees & elbow. I have 5 discs out in my lower back (some ruptured, some just slipped). My knees, according to the doc, have pretty much no cartlidge left, but the ligaments are holding as of right now. No major surguries on my knees, just two minor surguries (aorthoscopic sp?). My elbows are FUBAR. Constant hyperextension and elbowing (muay Thai) has severely damaged them according to my doc. Doc wants to do more surgury on my back, knees and elbows and I'm putting that off until after retirement. The constant pain is pretty bad. I have a hard time sleeping at night which I'm sure is not helping either. Doc gives me pills, but I can't take them within a certain amount of time from the fight for obvious reasons, and that is when I need them the most. My weight lifting form is pretty spot on and I dont lift that heavy anymore to avoid injury.

2.) I constantly pull/tear muscles now. When I was young muscle injury almost never happend, now all the time. Especially my pecs. I partially tore my pec last year doing leg extensions, don't ask me how the hell I managed that...my body must be retarded. In any case, I lift lighter, slow, full reps and warm up very well and still pop stuff a lot. I also lift for a short amount of time now. 45mins max. Upper body 3 times a week, lower body 1-2 times a week. I also run 3-5 times a week depending on how close I am to a fight. I train at least 5 times a week. I usually lift then run in the early morning before work. Then train in the afternoon after work. I'm not above taking days off, but I can't take them all off, which is what I would be doing now if I laid off everytime something hurt bad. Plus if I'm 5 or less weeks out from a fight I can't go taking days off obviously.

So I do take supplements, protein, creatine, AAKG (argigine supp), fish oil, garlic extract, multi vitamin & glutamine and I eat right.

Doc recommended I look into Glucosamine, Chondroitin & MSM.

Friends recommended I look into DHEA (will DHEA make me pop on a drug test?) & Shark cartilage.

I'm researching all of them, but I thought I aoulw also ask you guys what supps, if any, you think would help?

Thanks for your help in advance guys!

You probably didn't treat your body properly (warm up well before doing strenuous exercise, stretching , lifting form) and the contact nature of the sport left damage on you too. Everyone get's injured but you obviously didn't take enough care, were reckless when younger.

Best advice is to quit now and let you're body heal so that the rest of your life doesn't become a painful hell just for those few or several more fights you might win.

Bass Rutten has no cartilage in his knees too, that's why he retired. Crocop had several operations including his knees that's in my opinion also a big factor for his decline.

I would just advice you to stop now or you will live with even more consequences for the rest of your life, it's not worth it. You can't sleep cause of pain and have to take pain pills to compete, that sounds absolutely awful. Should have taken care better for your body and let it rest more, warmed up better and trained smarter.Why make things worse when you can minimize damage and heal up to some degree and live the next 50 years a lot more normal then if you abuse your totally banged up body even more.

I know you love fighting I actually love it to but don't even train anymore cause I don't want to get brain damage and my fingers are kinda bad and get painful from punching.

Ask yourself what will you get if you fight 6 more years - injuries, more pain and long term damage to your body. You could just keep on training to how your body feels do light sparring and rolling to "satisfy the fighter in you". And you can watch the sport, talk about it and maybe help other people train, become a trainer although I personally wouldn't do it considering how much physical damage it has brought to you. I personally wouldn't want to train some kids, guys to fight and have there moms worry about there children getting hurt and them taking hard shots to the head all the time when they could be as happy or happier doing something else in life.

Take care and be responsible

I don't think there's any supplement in the world that can help you with the problems that you are describing. I have a partially frozen ankle and I can't find anything. Your body is telling you enough is enough already. It's up to you whether or not you listen to it. If you're tearing muscles all the time and popping shit you'll only do more damage by continuing to fight and train all the time. Have the surgeries you need and rest while trying to enjoy life before you put yourself in a wheelchair. Of course...if this is a troll attempt, and for all I know it could very well be, I may just have to get Immovablestone to kill you.

Yes, I could have taken better care of my body when I was young, but when you're young and bounce right back from injury being "safe" doesn't cross your mind...although I wish it had. But the past is the past, nothing I can do about that now.

As far as trolling, it's not like I'm just some computer warrior here, I got tags, although I haven't taken the time to get my pro tags. Also, why troll about being a fighter with a failing body? It's the most depressing situation...at least for me. My love for competition hasn't gone away, just my youth. It actually took a lot for me to even post the question as I really am not the type to admit that pain or injury is effecting me. I'm the guy who keeps it to myself and deals with it. But I'm gonna have to get over that and start asking questions if I'm gonna compete a few more years.

I appreciate you guys' opinions, but I just don't feel I'm ready to hang it up. I'm gonna push through this and take it one fight at a time. And hopefully if I am careful I won't end up in a wheelchair later like one of you guys said...which is scary as shit by the way. If you think there is any supplement out there that can help me in your opinion i would love to hear about it. I really do appreciate your opinions guys. Despite what a lot of fighters say I like sherdoggers and think if you can ignore the teenaged keyboard warriors you can have a good time exchanging opinions and ideas with some pretty smart posters. Thanks again.

After talking with my doctor again today and my coaches I'm also gonna stop running on the street and treadmill and just use the bike and the elliptical. That way the stress of the constant jarring on my back and knees will be lightened a lot. We are also gonna do another cortisone shot in my back and right knee (the worse of the two). My coach also suggested that we start doing shorter more intense workouts. Same amount of work, but quicker to minimize body stress. Also suggested we start the ice baths after(not looking foreword to that shit! Might not do that. Lol). Finally breaking down and letting them know exactly how I feel wasnthe right thing to do. I'm hoping that these training changes and some supplements might help me hold it together for a while longer.

The main reason I made this thread is because I had an appointment with my doc. So I think things went as good as could be expected. By the way, my doc is a sports doc. I have insurance through my job. So anyway, I hope things go better. Wish me luck.

Pushing myself past the pain is the exact reason why I now have a frozen ankle and ended up losing my fulltime job as a landscaper. I'm 37 and have always worked sick and injured because it's just who I am as a person. I'd either have to be really sick or injured to stay home. Well...now I'm REALLY injured and while I still make sure I'm active to keep in shape, I can no longer walk fast enough on uneven surfaces to keep up with the workload because every time I step on a spot that's a dip or not perfectly level, I have intense pain. Now...I'm delivering flyers and having to contemplate a career change when I thought I would be retiring at the place I was working for when this happened. I also found out that once you get sick or injured and have to take time off, you're all of a sudden considered useless no matter how many years of service you gave them sick and all.

You're only in your early 30's and it's more like you're 80. Imagine what life will be like when you're 50 pushing yourself like this. It's your decision though and if it's one thing I've learned it's that you absolutely cannot save people from themselves. I'm just saying... from a person who had the same mentality you did...now I wish I had taken better care of myself because a few days or weeks off may have prevented what could end up being a lifetime of pain and limited mobility for me.

Cissus is good for cartilage, Glucosimine with Chondroitin is GREAT for joints. warm up longer, rest more, use ice, buy a hot tub?

i'd check out cissus and google GLC2000, they have a really good joint support product.

primaforce cissus and high dosage of fish oil has done wonders for my blown out shoulders and knees

I used cissus last year when my training partner smashed my knee sparring 2 weeks before a fight. Seemed to help stabilize the knee for me in that short period of time, but who really knows.

theres a supplement called ligatend that worked well for me

Back