Any stories of you guys having to use grappling techniques in a fight/street attack?

Alibilly97

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Just wondering how many of the grapplers here have had to use their knowledge in a serious situation away from the dojo/gym?

Breakfalls have saved my ass many times. I'm clumsy as fuck.

Hahahaahah, so when the intimidating slippy floor swings for you: you're saved ;)

I pummel for the double underhooks when I hug my wife. She is not entertained.

I was attacked by some drunk bird who was punching the shit out of my face outside a night club...I basically just got a really high double underhook with an Olympic grip and just held her to the police came.

Thats the beauty of grappling it can be used as a restraint while you communicate with your attacker... in b4 the yanks tell me I would get chainsaw'd doing that around there parts

im not even american but you never know when you are restraining a women what white knight/boyfriend/friend/family member might be right behind you with a glass bottle....

but w/e, glad you got to use the grappling successfully.

im not even american but you never know when you are restraining a women what white knight/boyfriend/friend/family member might be right behind you with a glass bottle....

but w/e, glad you got to use the grappling successfully.

yeah I agree there is always a chance...but that's where I think all that training comes into play even more at a deeper level...I was so relaxed in this particular scenario I was so aware of my surroundings, I was able to keep my heart rate down and my alertness in tact, keeping an eye out for other potential attackers etc... I've been in this situation a million times on the mat with killers so I was prepared for a 160 lb drunken bird trying to windmill me in the face

maybe if I hadn't trained in the past i'd of been panicking holding onto her for dear life not being aware what was going on behind me etc... so other then the technical aspect of holding the double underhook I also had psychological training from having 250lb mounted on me trying to strangle me lol

I was attacked by some drunk bird who was punching the shit out of my face outside a night club...I basically just got a really high double underhook with an Olympic grip and just held her to the police came.

Thats the beauty of grappling it can be used as a restraint while you communicate with your attacker... in b4 the yanks tell me I would get chainsaw'd doing that around there parts

If I got attacked by a giant bird I would shoot it, especially if it was drunk. Not just because I'm American. How did you know it was female?

Joking. Though British slang does amuse me.

I helped stop a robbery using a standing armbar. Dude was very, very drunk. I think I could have just pushed him over to be honest.

I osoto'd someone and ran away when I lived in more "ghetto" surroundings.

I'm at a bar one night.... just minding my own business... picking on some random guy who has a "State Wrestling Champion" jacket on.
He seems like a nice enough guy, so I go up to him and say "You must think you're pretty tough."
Humbly he replies, "Oh my jacket? Nah, I'm not tough.... some of it was luck." and he starts to chuckle.
I told him how I don't really care for wrestling. But that if I did pursue it I'm sure I could have easily been a state wrestling champion as well.

He says, "Well it takes alot of dedication.... but, i'm sure if you gave it your all you could have done pretty well... who knows, right?"
And I corrected him with, "I know... that's who."
He responds with, "Okay.... I'm not here to argue with you."

I'm getting a bit more drunk... so I asked him if he wanted to learn how to jab.
He says, "here?! Not really. Sorry man.... I'm just here with my girlfriend."

But I don't let him off that easy.
Playfully I get him in a headlock and start giving him a noogie while saying "oooohhh... is the big bad wrestler scared he can't throw a proper jab????"
He pushes me back and says "What's wrong with you!?" and made some plea for me to just leave him alone.

'Sure thing, tough guy' I think to myself as well as say out loud.

He starts whispering something to his girlfriend, he pays the barkeep, and they make their way towards the door.

Now we're outside and he gets all defensive and says, "Stop following me"

Then I reminded him, "But what about that jab I was going to teach you? They don't teach you those things in wrestling, buddy." and lightly push him from behind as he turned away from me.

His girlfriend thought it wise to start speaking up to which I commented, "Keep your mouth shut."

Oddly enough that was what piqued his interest in learning my jab.
So this hot head pushes me in my chest and then has the nerve to tell ME to "calm down and leave".

Now I'm still holding my drink (most of it spilled out when this knucklehead pushed me) so i splash the remainder of it on his coat in hopes of cooling this guy down.

Well off comes his coat and he said I went too far.... he's forming up on me to fight.

I throw what can only be described as a perfect uppercut.... but somehow I miss. Next thing I know this wrestler has me up in the air and then down on the ground.
With his left hand he's pushing my head into the ground and telling his girlfriend to call the police (coward). Then he says, "oh my God you stink like alchohol!"

I fake start screaming and crying that my back is hurt and I can't feel my legs.
This look of concern comes across his face and he starts saying, "okay.... calm down, man. I'm sorry.... we'll get someone to help you."
I can feel his hold on my head loosen and then BAM! I catch him with my right. He goes rolling off of me.
I spring to my feet, put my arms up in the air and start chanting "People's Champ! People's Champ!"

Ironically some people who were watching (I'm guessing friends of his) ran in, tackled me, held me down, kicked me alittle, and wait for the police to come.

Last edited:
Slipped hard on some ice, fuckin' did a breakfall and and shoulder rolled like a ninja and impressed my buddies.

Hahaha whatt?? you sound like you needed to calm down buddy hahahaha ;D

I got attacked in a rough part of town once. My attacker got too close and received tai otoshi for his trouble.

I then beat him unconscious and cheese grated his face against the tarmac.

When I was 21 I was involved in a big brawl in a bar parking lot. About 5 on 5. I mounted a guy and hit him a few times but then his friend blindsided me with a kick to the face. I'm pretty sure it KOed me for a second because the last thing I remember is being in the fetal position with two guys tap dancing on my head. Not fun.

When I was 21 I was involved in a big brawl in a bar parking lot. About 5 on 5. I mounted a guy and hit him a few times but then his friend blindsided me with a kick to the face. I'm pretty sure it KOed me for a second because the last thing I remember is being in the fetal position with two guys tap dancing on my head. Not fun.

Glad you're okay.
But that got an LOL from me. Not so much what happened, but your wording.

Back