Any sane arguments for upkicks to be illegal?

an "upkick" is a type of kick
you cannot kick a downed opponent to the head
you can upkick as long as you don't hit the head and follow the rules

problem solved. flush this fecal thread

I don't have a problem with upkicks or knees to a grounded opponent. Personally, I think knees to a grounded opponent would make wrestlers even more dominant. MM has been kicking ass with them.

This rule is completely nuts and triggers me.
Upkicks to a "grounded opponent" that is.

Any argument related to damage that may be caused I feel like is refuted by the sheer fact of knees to the face being legal from the standing position.
Mike Perry agrees:
17163020-7346843-image-a-38_1565556386468.jpg

So you cannot do this :

Silva-upkick-on-Okami-ROTR_medium.gif

Because...? It's a "down" opponent? The purpose of the definition of a down opponent that comes to mind is that he is defenseless to a degree and it may look barbaric, involving less skills, thus soccer kicking a guy while he is down is banned due to PR reasons, I get it (although I wish it wasn't banned). But you cannot upkick a guy that CAN smash your face in with elbows, that's beyond silly to me. They take away a big tool to defend yourself from a bottom position, which would create more action and passing from the top, mind you.
Also, you can upkick the guy when he is going down but is not yet grounded, so the impact is actually worse, damage wise, for the person on top. So "damage", again, shouldn't be used here for defending this rule.

Heel being too devastating? "Hardest part of the body" argument I've seen. Yeah, right. But I can heel kick your face to a second row with a spinning heel hook.

Any ideas as to why this rule is banned, other than the rule set being created long time ago when people knew shit and now they are unwilling to change it for some reason (which is..?)

Cant allow one without the other.. Its not fair

Should be allowed, I wish everything was allowed like how it used to be so we can get back to the entire point of this sport which is Ultimate Fighting

It's stupid old men making the rules who have no idea about combat sports and MMA.

They should ban fists because people break boards and bricks with them...

Kicks to a downed opponent should be legal.

Also, getting slammed hard onto your back (not your ass) should cost you a point for the round. Slams are artificially reduced in their damage (which they have to be, I'm not arguing that) but the difference should be made up with losing a point.

The rule should be "A grounded fighter can only be kicked in the head by another grounded fighter". It bans soccer kicks and allows upkicks all the time.

an "upkick" is a type of kick
you cannot kick a downed opponent to the head
you can upkick as long as you don't hit the head and follow the rules

problem solved. flush this fecal thread

No wonder you have doubles.

The rule should be "A grounded fighter can only be kicked in the head by another grounded fighter". It bans soccer kicks and allows upkicks all the time.

I like it.

In a modern world you will never see these rules change. Its too much of a liability to change a rule that has the perception of making the sport more dangerous, even if that rule is total bogus.

Back