Any San Diego heads that can help with form?

NamelessMC

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I want to start power lifting. I'm very weak, but my cardio is strong, I just need to start lifting right. The way I figure it, I should go with the Eclipse gym work out on a 3 day split. Monday/Wed/Friday with saturday and sunday rest/jogging.

What I want to learn is proper form for:
Bench pressing
Squatting
Standing Overhead Press
Bent over Bar press
Power Clean

I watch the videos on form, but they are SOOOO complicated. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a monkey, but there's like 20 instructions for each movement. I'd rather get a base for it watching these videos but get it right in a gym.

I don't want to trust trainers at a gym, for two reasons:
I plan on training at school (Southwestern and then Mesa and hopefully State if I make it in) and they don't have trainers.

I also wanna make friends in this area since I just moved here to Chula Vista and I'd rather get to know people that watch MMA events so I can find people to chill with that are into the same sport as me.

To give you an idea of how small I am:
I'm 5'7, about 137-140. My bench, if proper or not, barely touches 100 pounds. I used to curl a lot, but after reading these forums, I dropped curling from my routine. The only real pulling work out I do is chin ups or pull ups and those are usually mixed with my running routine.

Because of how much time I have lacked in the gym, I've been doing burpees on 10x4 sets for a work out, using shadow boxing and jogging to keep my cardio up. I also do crunches during my burpee work out because I don't feel my abs getting a work out during the burpees. The burpees I do are push ups with the jump.

Anyway, PM me if you're in the San Diego area, an experienced lifter and you're willing to teach some form for a 6 or a 12 pack of Newcastle.

I can't help, but did you know that your city was discovered by the Germans in 1904? They named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.

I can't help, but did you know that your city was discovered by the Germans in 1904? They named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.

Bahahah

Go Fuck yourself San Diego

I'm in SD, real close to chula vista actually. And everyone knows SD is the best city in the United States... don't gotta be jealous. I imagine I see more beautiful women in a week than most see in a year

Yeah. Too bad most of the beautiful women in Chula Vista listen to Reggaeton and their ideal boyfriend is a douchebag.

I checked powerliftingwatch and the only gym listed there is in Chula Vista and the website doesn't work anymore so I don't know if that gym closed down.

That gym is still up but it's kinda expensive from what I've seen. There is only one other pl'ing gym in SD that I have came across and it's in PB(Pacific Beach).

That gym is still up but it's kinda expensive from what I've seen. There is only one other pl'ing gym in SD that I have came across and it's in PB(Pacific Beach).

Well from what I've seen, I really liked the free weight room at SDSU. The only thing missing is a platform for cleans.

If the Southwestern gym is anything like that, I'll go there. They're usually very cheap and offer full services like a steam or sauna, swimming, heavy bags and shit like that. Plus at college gyms gorgeous women usually go. I was thinking to pay for someone's one-day pass wherever I decide to work out so they can teach me form the whole day there.

How's $25 a month for a full gym with sauna and stuff? That's how much it is for students and even though 24 hour fitness is cheaper, I went by there today and their free weight room made me wanna puke.

Dont go to 24 hour fitness. Find a gym with a platform and power cage if possible.

If you want to learn how to lift buy Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Search his name on the fourms and you will see his book is worth every penny. If you can find a coach, set up a couple sessions.

I'm in SD, real close to chula vista actually. And everyone knows SD is the best city in the United States... don't gotta be jealous. I imagine I see more beautiful women in a week than most see in a year
Yeah, everyone here will badmouth it because deep down inside they are pissed they don't live there.

If I didn't live in Salt lake City, San Diego would be my second choice.

Checkout my gym. We've got trainers that'll teach you to squat, DL, Oly's, etc. along with a full selection of MMA skills. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Checkout my gym. We've got trainers that'll teach you to squat, DL, Oly's, etc. along with a full selection of MMA skills. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

logo.gif

Am I the only one that thinks that the logo looks like a vag and ovaries? It seems quite appropriate for a crossfit gym...

One of these days I want to play ultimate fighting.

It's out of the way, but UCSD has a good facility:

Chains, oly platforms and bumper weights, a glute-ham raise machine, plyo boxes, neck machine, a bunch of racks, plus normal gym crap (dumbbells, barbells, etc.)

Also, at their track, they have a big tire to flip, I think it weighs 550lbs.

I guess a bent-over barbell press is a bent-over row?

I'm a trainer in La Jolla. I have a B.S. in Kinesiology, with a lapsed CSCS cert. Also been to a Dave Tate/Defranco seminar with maybe 4.5 months of following a westside style program behind me. I don't train like a powerlifter now, but passable beginner form isn't too hard to teach. I'll do it for free, but you might have to pay for a day pass at my gym.

Send me an email at [email protected] if you want

logo.gif

Am I the only one that thinks that the logo looks like a vag and ovaries? It seems quite appropriate for a crossfit gym...

Funny that's the one thing you thought to mention from all the stuff on the website.

Back