any pros and cons sparring with guys not in your weight class

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by MMouse, Aug 16, 2010.

1. MMouse

MMouse Now you enter...the shredder Banned

I plan to compete in kickboxing around 120-125lbs at 5'2'', but sparr with guys from 145lbs all the way to superheavyweight, cause there is no one in my gym relatively close to my size.

I do realize though, I get pushed around alot, and even if I defend the strikes it still pushes me back. Hell, even blocking a kick I've been knockdown.

Is there any pros and cons to this, is this a smart idea for me to even spar with guys above my weight classes?

2. Therealmma747**

Therealmma747** Orange Belt

say they are better
    than they are much larger and better. Makes it harder for you to win or gain advatanatges, you will have to flow better, pay more attention they will teach you thing son how to deal with their size, and you will start to get better evantually against much larger opponents so the smaller opponents shouldnt be as scarry

3. djmarkiss

djmarkiss Green Belt

I think it would make you better since you are sparring with guys bigger and stronger than you. I do not know if it will help you with speed since you are smaller and will be facing guys who are smaller and may be quicker than the bigger guys you spar with.

4. 35andOver

35andOver Blue Belt

Pros:

You'll be used to dealing with heavy fire so shots from someone your own weight might not seem as troublesome.

It should improve your footwork, angles and feints if you're always dealing with longer sparring partners.

Cons:

Are you able to get your offense off on these bigger guys effectively during sparring? If not, that's a problem of course.

Not being exposed to the speed of someone your size on a regular basis might be an issue.

5. iheartbooze

iheartbooze Blue Belt

I started in taekwondo and sparred almost exclusively small women and children. I was 6-4 and 265 lbs. Somehow I didn't feel challenged...lol. The instructor was the only one my size but he wouldn't spar with me. Needless to say, I didn't stay there long.

Yes, the occasional sparring session w/ one of the better (but smaller) guys could be productive, as it forced me to deal w/ his quickness, but when I switched to an MMA school, one of my first questions to the instructor was whether or not he had anyone close to my size to go against. If you are considering actual competition in pretty much any combat sport, you're gonna fight in weight classes and you better be ready to fight a guy your own size. You are at the opposite end of the spectrum from me, but I do think you need to work w/ some guys your size.

That said, I think spending some of your time with bigger guys that can out-muscle you and smaller guys that can out-quick you (if they are available) will only make you better.

6. gotobread

gotobread Purple Belt

What other options do you have? Spar with nobody at all? Gain weight?

7. SteelHammer

SteelHammer Green Belt

parts unknown Occupation: asskicker TrainingStyle:
    hell yea it's the best practice

8. fightingrabbit

fightingrabbit Banned Banned

does a duck fish for crackers?