Any other guitar players here remember when they tried to ban guitar tabs on the internet?

Drain Bamage

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I forget what year it was, it was well over a decade ago

Everybody had been getting tabs online for years and then all the sudden some rule came down (I think from music book publishers lobbying) saying you couldnt post guitar tabs online anymore. Even user created ones!

Anybody remember that? It didnt actually pan out though, as those things tend to go. You can get guitar tabs as easy as ever nowadays.

I find it even more hilarious in hindsight that they actually tried to ban guitar tabs.

remember on the old nokia phones how you had to purchase ringtones for songs?

the phones also had this tone creator, and there were websites that gave you the instructions on how to create that song ringtone that you wanted.

anyone think those websites are still up and running? not sure if they got banned and removed.

I remember when guitar hero was a thing and nobody cared about real guitar

I had an oldschool version of guitar pro, remember that? You could download a song’s music sheet with tabs and everything, very in depth. I mean I see there’s a new version but I used it back in the day I wonder if you can still get tabs for free in this format.
upload_2020-1-15_22-44-23.jpeg

the phones also had this tone creator, and there were websites that gave you the instructions on how to create that song ringtone that you wanted.

anyone think those websites are still up and running? not sure if they got banned and removed.

Soulja Boy made a lot of money selling ringtones.

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-15_22-43-23.jpeg
    upload_2020-1-15_22-43-23.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Anyone remember flipping through Guitar World magazine to see what songs were inside?

I remember that. A ton of tabs disappeared on Ultimate Guitar around that time due to copyright infringement.

I remember that! I got my cousin to make one of those for me lol

Yeah the nokia ones were simple one-track tones.
Remember my cuz had the tupac piano one.
lmao i had tupac hit em up and it sounded nothing like the song :(

not even one swear word in it! :mad:

I remember that! I got my cousin to make one of those for me lol
hah nice!

and it had this other creator thing where you could create background images to have on your phone display. those phones were way ahead of their times!

I had an oldschool version of guitar pro, remember that? You could download a song’s music sheet with tabs and everything, very in depth. I mean I see there’s a new version but I used it back in the day I wonder if you can still get tabs for free in this format.
I used to use that to make music. Here is one I did years ago -

It's distorted because at the time, the only way to actually save it as a mp3 was to record it through the sound mixer on my PC.

lol I remember trying to get the tab for seize the day but I couldn't play that solo because I couldn't sweep pick or all the other crazy shit syn gates did in that solo.

hah nice!

and it had this other creator thing where you could create background images to have on your phone display. those phones were way ahead of their times!
Oh yeah and they even had sites where you could purchase those wallpapers because the quality was so good for what it was. I was like 11 and bought a few lol

Through fire and flames was the real test

Really wish they would have made a new guitar hero or rock band on the new consoles. Now that my daughter is old enough we would have a blast tryna rock out together

Back