Any other clean freaks that get staph?

Squints03

White Belt
Reaction score
So I have been doing BJJ for about a year total (I just recently started up again). I consider myself a very clean person, I shower 2 or even 3 times on days that I train, I wash my shit every night after practice, I were a long sleeve rashguard and kneepads, ect. Yet I have gotten staph 3 times in this short period of time, it seems that anytime I get a minor cut I get staph. Anyone else have this much trouble with staph? It's to the point where I am so disgusted and upset that I'm about to stop BJJ all together (which would kill me, It's one of the only things that keeps me sane). You guys got any tips/thoughts?

*raises hand*

MRSA 3 times and impetigo once, all since February 2009.

This Defense Soap is good. I'm gotta write a review of it and their service as soon as I get off dubs.

No staph, but came down with ringworm and it too sucks. It can be frustrating having to set out of training while you get over it. It makes you wonder if its even worth it. The problem isn't about you being clean its the other guys whether thier clean or not.

This! Nothing is worse than not being able to control what happens to you based on someone else!

Thats for sure, I have staph all over my neck and face right now because someone was to disgusting not to shower after practice. Why do these nasty folk never seem to catch anything when they don't wash and I catch something if I even touch one of them? I'm thinking I am just very susceptible to staph.

So I have been doing BJJ for about a year total (I just recently started up again). I consider myself a very clean person, I shower 2 or even 3 times on days that I train, I wash my shit every night after practice, I were a long sleeve rashguard and kneepads, ect. Yet I have gotten staph 3 times in this short period of time, it seems that anytime I get a minor cut I get staph. Anyone else have this much trouble with staph? It's to the point where I am so disgusted and upset that I'm about to stop BJJ all together (which would kill me, It's one of the only things that keeps me sane). You guys got any tips/thoughts?

You can overdo cleanliness. If you're scrubbing yourself so often that you're removing everything that naturally accumulates on your skin you can set yourself up for infections just as if you were never showering. On days I go to practice I do a quick rinse with no soap and no shampoo about 30 minutes before practice so I don't have grime on me from my job, then take a long shower using an antibacterial body wash after practice. I don't shower in the morning before work because of the shower the night before.

That's one real shower a day and one quick rinse to make sure I'm not filthy before practice, and I've had zero issues.

Don't be such a clean freak and let your body build up some immunities. There is a theory that the increase in childhood allergies is party due to an over emphasis on cleanliness.

Don't be such a clean freak and let your body build up some immunities. There is a theory that the increase in childhood allergies is party due to an over emphasis on cleanliness.

I always thought there was something to this. I was neever as big of a hand washer as I should have been, and I have always gotten sick maybe once every 2-3 years for my whole life. The last time I was sick to the point of having to miss school or work was Nov. 2007.

Thats for sure, I have staph all over my neck and face right now because someone was to disgusting not to shower after practice. Why do these nasty folk never seem to catch anything when they don't wash and I catch something if I even touch one of them? I'm thinking I am just very susceptible to staph.

My dermatologist told me that he thinks I never actually got rid of the first staph I had, and it's kind of been dormant in me? I dunno, but he put me on a long regiment of antibiotics and this soap and it cleared me up good.

I guess its worth a try, Maybe ill shower just twice a day now :icon_chee

You can overdo cleanliness. If you're scrubbing yourself so often that you're removing everything that naturally accumulates on your skin you can set yourself up for infections just as if you were never showering. On days I go to practice I do a quick rinse with no soap and no shampoo about 30 minutes before practice so I don't have grime on me from my job, then take a long shower using an antibacterial body wash after practice. I don't shower in the morning before work because of the shower the night before.

That's one real shower a day and one quick rinse to make sure I'm not filthy before practice, and I've had zero issues.

this is good advice. you shouldn't shower with soap right before practice because 1) you remove your normal flora and 2) if you scrub with a sponge or some other shower tool you can open up some micro-abrasions that actually may make it easier for bacteria to enter your body.

this is good advice. you shouldn't shower with soap right before practice because 1) you remove your normal flora and 2) if you scrub with a sponge or some other shower tool you can open up some micro-abrasions that actually may make it easier for bacteria to enter your body.

It's words like "micro-abrasions" that make me wish I could go to practice wrapped up like a fuckin mummy.

My dermatologist told me that he thinks I never actually got rid of the first staph I had, and it's kind of been dormant in me? I dunno, but he put me on a long regiment of antibiotics and this soap and it cleared me up good.

You get any stomach issues from the meds? I know it fucked up my stomach flora after i took a course of amoxicillin.

Do you wash the bag you carry your stuff in? You wash your sheets regularly? Some gyms just have more trouble, and some peoples immune systems are different i guess.

When I read your post, this is what I was thinking. If you overscrub, you deplete the natural flora on your skin which helps protect you, not to mention opening tiny "cracks," for lack of a more technical medical term, in your skin where staph can linger. Of course, any nasty training partners may also be part of the equation. But bear in mind that some people are more susceptible to staph, and some people (carriers) carry it around despite being very clean (showering normally, etc).

You might consider using something like this before you roll: KS Skin Créme - 18 ounce can - Kennedy Industries, Inc.

I typically use that before and then use Defense Soap when I get home after practice. So far so good, no staph.

You get any stomach issues from the meds? I know it fucked up my stomach flora after i took a course of amoxicillin.

Brother...

I'm tellin you...

I was shoving yogurt down my throat all day for 2 weeks. I was taking Bactrim, a sulfur based antibiotix which I have taken with no problems before. Only this time, I was supposed to take 2x a day instead of 1. That 2 made the difference. My gut hurt for 2 weeks.

(Food) Allergies are formed when babies are exposed to solid foods too early and their immune systems freak out towards that food and causing allergic reactions, when exposed again to that food.

Brother...

I'm tellin you...

I was shoving yogurt down my throat all day for 2 weeks. I was taking Bactrim, a sulfur based antibiotix which I have taken with no problems before. Only this time, I was supposed to take 2x a day instead of 1. That 2 made the difference. My gut hurt for 2 weeks.

I'm with you man..

When I finished my course I thought I had kidney stones. Both of my sides, my back, and mid stomach had a horrible dull ache. I did the same, just started to shovel the yogurt to me, and the next day no aches at all!

Back