Any opinions on Dan Inosanto?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by penguinsfan, Apr 1, 2008.

1. penguinsfan

penguinsfan White Belt

The place I'm taking MMA has its teachers heavily influenced by Dan Inosanto as far as their training. I do know much about the man other than he is quite accomplished as a martial artist. Any thoughts on it?

2. Ranger

Ranger I'm getting too old for this sht

You pretty much said it: he is quite accomplished. Originally a FMA practioner, then of course the "heir" to continuing the concepts of Jeet Kune do. I think he's received a Black Belt in BJJ as well. Instructors influenced by him usually have strong Kali and self defense backrounds.

3. Chinaboxer

Chinaboxer Blue Belt

he's a living legend. And his school in los angeles, ca. has always been at the cutting edge of what we call MMA today.

4. TheLionTamer

TheLionTamer Brown Belt

i had a chance to see him roll over at john machado's academy. the guy pulled a jumping guard and was going for some sub attempts. keep in mind that he has to be at least 70 years old

5. Chinaboxer

Chinaboxer Blue Belt

6. TexasJKD

TexasJKD White Belt

A true living legend. Probably the most knowledgeable martial artist of our time, and yes a black belt in bjj per the Machados. Randy Couture did some private training with Dan Inosanto before regaining his title. Third level Jeet Kune Do, awarded to Dan by Bruce himself.

7. Toujourpret

Toujourpret Black Belt

That is cool.

I think the most important thing about the video is at 70 and with everything Dan Inosanto knows he is still teachable.

8. Vector_X

Vector_X Brown Belt

sounds like you are being taught by one of the greats I would recommend soaking up that information like a sponge.

9. blanko

blanko Guest

he modifies his training methods and is willing to learn new things. a true martial artist

10. Little Mac

Little Mac Green Belt

Dang you are being taught by one of the Greats!!!!!Kind Like Being Trained by Bebo Duarte and Ricardo Calvacanti but the more I reserch this guy the more good praise I get and as well im glad Im gonna start Training Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do

11. Admles

Admles Blue Belt

I attended one of his seminars, with people of all different styles and ranks, and the man is just the ultimate encyclopedia of knowledge about combat.

Also a real gentlemen. He answered any questions put to him, usually backed up with a demonstration. However, if someone was able to show him a different idea, he always welcomed it - he'd learn from a person with 2 months training if they could show him something new.

You have a chance to train with him, take it.

12. No Quarter

No Quarter Blue Belt

13. UKBBC

UKBBC Orange Belt

Just to let you know, Jun Fan JKD is different to Dan's JKD concepts...more kickboxing and boxing with JFJKD, and more trapping and FMA with the JKDC

Good luck anyway!

14. tomiscookin

tomiscookin Blue Belt

I used to train at a school heavily influenced by Guru Dan. Though I've never met the guy, I've heard nothing but great things.

15. Gregster

Gregster Black Belt

Dan Inosanto was a close friend of Bruce Lee, and one of a small group of martial artists more or less hand-picked by Bruce to help develop and carry on the Jun Fan Gung Fu/Jeet Kun Do system. He has been practically living and breathing martial arts longer than 99% of Sherdoggers have been living, and has absorbed and assimilated more styles than most folks have ever heard of. Insosanto is easily one of the most respected and authoritative martial artists walking the face of the Earth; I'm inclined to think that the fact that the man is still going strong with an active training and teaching schedule at age 70 wipes away any doubts as to his passion or dedication to MA.

To the best of my knowledge he has not hitherto been known to lend his name or approval to any chump who wants to open an MA school.

If these guys you refer to are legit, and have verifiable bona-fides as being certified by Inosanto to teach whatever it is they teach, you'd be a fool not to train with them.

That said: if these guys claim they are "influenced" by INosanto, that could mean anything from "I trained with Dan INosanto" to "I trained at an Insosanto-approved school" to "I went to a couple of Inosantos' seminars" to "I've seen Game of Death 87 times, and Insosanto was a total bad-ass in that!!" I'd be vetting their claims if you've not already to see what you're getting.

16. jimmy_the_eel

jimmy_the_eel White Belt

Dan Inosanto is a great martial artist- most others would be content to make a living off their own legend and the association with Bruce Lee, but Dan has been learning new things into his seventies.

That being said "heavily influenced by Dan Inosanto" could mean a lot of different things, one of the schools I used to train at had instructors certified by Dan and was a definite McDojo, the other 2 weren't.

17. jimmy_the_eel

jimmy_the_eel White Belt

Dan Inosanto is a great martial artist- most others would be content to make a living off their own legend and the association with Bruce Lee, but Dan has been learning new things into his seventies.

That being said "heavily influenced by Dan Inosanto" could mean a lot of different things, one of the schools I used to train at had instructors certified by Dan and was a definite McDojo, the other 2 weren't.

18. yodaman

yodaman Brown Belt

He's had everyone from Erik Paulson to ex-Thai champs train at his academy, so I'd say he knows what he's talking about.

Check the certs first though.

19. Flexwave2003

Flexwave2003 International Playboy

Good post, I would agree with all of this.

20. penguinsfan

penguinsfan White Belt

This is where I train:

http://www.eastwindacademy.com

The reason I ask is because I posted for thoughts on this school sometime ago and the reaction was mixed. According to the site, it sounds like my head instructor was actually certified by Dan Inosanto.

At any rate, Dan Inosanto himself is actually coming to the school for a weekend seminar in a few weeks, but I will be out of town and unable to make it, I'm pretty sure. It's a shame, because it sounds like I'd really love to see him in person.