Any one here have shoulder surgery?

Monger

Chronically Injured
Reaction score
Hi,

About 4 weeks ago I had surgery on my shoulder to fix a tear in my labrum. There was no rotator cuff damage. I'm currently in therapy and my surgeon says that I can return to boxing/Muay Thai in 14 weeks.

I was just wondering if anyone here has first hand experiance and could give me some information to how it was getting back in the game. I'm currious about progression not only back to fighting but also to lifting weights. Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

Monger said:
Hi,

About 4 weeks ago I had surgery on my shoulder to fix a tear in my labrum. There was no rotator cuff damage. I'm currently in therapy and my surgeon says that I can return to boxing/Muay Thai in 14 weeks.

I was just wondering if anyone here has first hand experiance and could give me some information to how it was getting back in the game. I'm currious about progression not only back to fighting but also to lifting weights. Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

i am in therapy now for shoulder surgery on the 19th of august...

they shaved some bone spurs off my clavicle and my acromium...

i am going to be released back to full duty in about a week...

i had no rotator cuff problems, but some severe flexibility issues...

i am getting completely normal again, and i'm fucking almost there...

i can't wait to get back on the mat...

too many classes just watching and not rolling....

Back to full duty in a week? Good to hear it. Did you start therapy right away after the surgery?

I can't start strengthening my shoulder for two more weeks. I've only been out of my sling for 2 days so I really can't move it at all yet. The actual injury to my shoulder was back in April so I've lost around 15lbs. of muscle from inactivity... I did what I could until surgery time but just couldn't keep the weight on.

I'm going crazy right now. I was at the peak of my conditioning and ability before the injury. Now I can only watch and help train others. My concern is that it won't return to 100% and I've past my prime...

2 years ago i seperated my shoulder and fractured my collarbone, but im all good now

think tore my rotator cuff about a year ago 1 now never went the docs but I rehabed the shit out of it and now I can train normal, when I throw a hook it hurts sometomes also when I bench I get slight pain, its a pain in the ass!

I had tendinis in both my shoulders, legacy of 15 years of weight lifting and 3 of MA.
The mri did not found any tears but my shoulders are fuckup, no rotator cuff exercises and nearly an year of rest works. I am sideline forever.

Monger said:
Back to full duty in a week? Good to hear it. Did you start therapy right away after the surgery?

I can't start strengthening my shoulder for two more weeks. I've only been out of my sling for 2 days so I really can't move it at all yet. The actual injury to my shoulder was back in April so I've lost around 15lbs. of muscle from inactivity... I did what I could until surgery time but just couldn't keep the weight on.

I'm going crazy right now. I was at the peak of my conditioning and ability before the injury. Now I can only watch and help train others. My concern is that it won't return to 100% and I've past my prime...

well, i had the mummsford technique and decompression done to my right shoulder...

i didn't have any rotator tears, just the bone spurs that were significant...

i only wore my sling for two days, and i stopped taking my pain meds after three days (college physics and perkasets don't mix!)...

i actually chose to stop wearing the sling. it still hurt like hell, but i wanted to try and convince myself that i was ok, and the sooner i could tell myself that, the faster i'd heal...

i've made tons of progress...

before the surgery, i had about 5 inches of difference in the height that i could raise my right arm behind my back and up towards my shoulders, as compared to my left....

after the surgery for about three weeks, it was more like 15 inches!!!! it hurt so fucking bad man...

but i kept telling my therapist that i could always go up in weight, i kept pushing at home too, and i continually stretch it out. i'm about there dude...

one thing we learned though, was that i had very little scapular action. i learned to actually use it, as opposed to being very pec dominant. i had some issues in that shoulder dude, and i'm like a new man now...

good luck to you, and labrums are a bitch. ask sean gannon, he'd be in the ufc now if it wasn't for his labrum tear. he'll be there soon though, so he's proof it can be done...

later...

Back