Any music majors?

Interesting. I'm not an expert in this though I have read that students in weaker pre-med programs had bigger odds in obtaining admissions(not being as prepared for MCAT, not as strong with letters of recommendation, volunteer and work experience wasn't as relevant).

That's just because of those ancillary things
Many successful traditional students for med school come from successful families and have the right idea of how to gameplan for admissions, have the resources for mcat classes, may have physicians in the family who can help them or coordinate shadowing etc

So if you sont have those advantages and you go to a weak school and major in a weak area, you better be a great self starter and incredibly bright or good luck.

That's just because of those ancillary things
Many successful traditional students for med school come from successful families and have the right idea of how to gameplan for admissions, have the resources for mcat classes, may have physicians in the family who can help them or coordinate shadowing etc

So if you sont have those advantages and you go to a weak school and major in a weak area, you better be a great self starter and incredibly bright or good luck.

I also see some differences reading though this data in public vs private admissions on their importance ratings. Public being interested in where you live, Selectivity of undergraduate institution for private...etc.

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...5b5844a/mcatstudentselectionguide.pdf#page=12

I also see some differences reading though this data in public vs private admissions on their importance ratings. Public being interested in where you live, Selectivity of undergraduate institution for private...etc.

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...5b5844a/mcatstudentselectionguide.pdf#page=12

Public instituions, on average, are more interested in developing a class of students that will serve their patient population. That's one of the reasons in state vs out of state is so significant for most public schools ( there are other reasons). A school with a strong primary care focus that is also public, whose hospital serves a large rural population may be really interested in making sure rural students are represented in their class. For example.

Private schools give credence to stuff like that too, but far less. That's all to say they have different goals when building a class. There are MD schools that have multiple tracks, like Harvard where they have a special non-PhD track for physician scientists and almost exclusively recruit people with a hard science background, or another example is Duke who has a primary care track that has a separate selection process and doesnt care about major but just wants good people interested in a holistic view (I cavaet all of this by saying I dont know shit about DO schools)

Last edited:
I have a few questions for you guys.

What are your thoughts on the BA vs BM at schools that offer both? I understand the BM is supposed to be more for those wishing to be professional performers, but looking at the required classes, there seems to be much overlap. For someone thinking about taking it purely for personal enrichment prior to going on into a professional school in another discipline, which would you choose?

My second set of questions are about grading. How are music classes graded? Looking at average GPAs, it seems that music majors are much higher than the hard sciences (maybe 3.3 vs 2.5 at some universities). Is this grading for music classes based more on actual music ability or is it something that can be easily studied for? Just glancing at the GPA averages, music seems like a safe bet for someone wishing to pad their GPA, unless grades depends more on innate ability. If the latter is the case, it would be better for a super smart person to go hard science and outscore their classmates for a 4.0 rather than possibly go into a major where no matter how smart they are or how much they work, they will be destined for a 3.5 because they are only a bit above average cello player.

Little drunk sorry for typos. Thanks in advance

View attachment 714615

Music Major undergrad here.
Major in music education emphasis on guitar.

That means my degree is about becomming a School Music teacher for elementary or High School ans that my primary instrument is guitar.

I need to accomplish at least 2 graded recitals to be able to graduat, plus completing a 1 year tenureship as a class room music teacher.

In my university we are graded both on actual performance and accademics there are a dozen music related accademic subjects or courses required for the 4yr degree.

In my university we are graded both on actual performance and accademics there are a dozen music related accademic subjects or courses required for the 4yr degree.

how hard is it to get all As in these classes if you put in effort?

Interesting. I'm not an expert in this though I have read that students in weaker pre-med programs had bigger odds in obtaining admissions(not being as prepared for MCAT, not as strong with letters of recommendation, volunteer and work experience wasn't as relevant).
I'm sure if they go to a junky private liberal arts school, it's possible they may not get the guidance they need and may not get as well-prepared to kill the MCAT.

Music Major undergrad here.
Major in music education emphasis on guitar.

That means my degree is about becomming a School Music teacher for elementary or High School ans that my primary instrument is guitar.

I need to accomplish at least 2 graded recitals to be able to graduat, plus completing a 1 year tenureship as a class room music teacher.

St. Scho?
My bandmates (3 bros & a cousin) other cousin studied engineering, graduated, passed the board, worked for a few years as an engineer to make his folks happy, dropped everything & went back to school to study music. I think he jammed a couple of times with Imago.

St. Scho?
My bandmates (3 bros & a cousin) other cousin studied engineering, graduated, passed the board, worked for a few years as an engineer to make his folks happy, dropped everything & went back to school to study music. I think he jammed a couple of times with Imago.

UST - from 2002

Imago ah yeah familiar band name

A couple friends of me got music bas and mas. None of them except one are working as musicians and all of them regret doing it except the drummer working as such in the city theater.
That being said, I'm in Germany and we don't have such grades only a test you have to pass for it. Also more job opportunities I guess, given our cultural investment.

Last edited:
That said, I do work in Engineering, and the days of finding yourself answerable to a history of art grad who doesn’t know anything are (thankfully) long gone.

I didn’t major in it, but I was trained in it for many years. I tried to make a career out of music briefly. But it isn’t an industry in which you can make enough money to live comfortably unless you are a rock star, but or have another job to pay the bills.

I didn’t major in it, but I was trained in it for many years. I tried to make a career out of music briefly. But it isn’t an industry in which you can make enough money to live comfortably unless you are a rock star, but or have another job to pay the bills.

The dudes my kids take private lessons from are doing ok. They’re not rich, but they both have about 20 students @ ~$300-375 / month and also have side gigs every month. One used to be in the orchestra, which pays at least $100k, so I’m sure he didn’t leave that to make much less as a private teacher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Judoka_Noob
Back