Any music majors?

Lubaolong

RETIRED
@Steel
Reaction score
I have a few questions for you guys.

What are your thoughts on the BA vs BM at schools that offer both? I understand the BM is supposed to be more for those wishing to be professional performers, but looking at the required classes, there seems to be much overlap. For someone thinking about taking it purely for personal enrichment prior to going on into a professional school in another discipline, which would you choose?

My second set of questions are about grading. How are music classes graded? Looking at average GPAs, it seems that music majors are much higher than the hard sciences (maybe 3.3 vs 2.5 at some universities). Is this grading for music classes based more on actual music ability or is it something that can be easily studied for? Just glancing at the GPA averages, music seems like a safe bet for someone wishing to pad their GPA, unless grades depends more on innate ability. If the latter is the case, it would be better for a super smart person to go hard science and outscore their classmates for a 4.0 rather than possibly go into a major where no matter how smart they are or how much they work, they will be destined for a 3.5 because they are only a bit above average cello player.

Little drunk sorry for typos. Thanks in advance

upload_2020-1-21_0-10-16.jpeg

Could have posted a hot asian that didnt have a big ass fuckin ingrown hair on her thigh

I always equate music majors as athletes. You now have to separate the art & be ready to be abused with long hours & limited career opportunities.

I just have one thing to say....

Tits....

Anyway, whenever I find myself answering to people with non-STEM qualifications, they have a distinct tendency to be hopeless at their jobs. Unless they’re in sales, I suppose, in which case genuine credentials are no match for having nice hair and teeth and being popular.

Fair point, but (in the U.K. at least) there’s not many professional roles looking for music grads.
As I said in the OP, this is just a generic degree for self-enrichment on the path to a professional degree. Many professional degrees (MD/DO/etc) don’t care what your undergrad degree is in as long as you complete the prerequisite classes required for admission.

Unless they’re in sales, I suppose, in which case genuine credentials are no match for having nice hair and teeth and being popular.
Estate Agents maybe; however, many of the best salesman I know are ugly fuckers.

What's your musical background?
It depends what I'm doing*; for example, I've always wanted to go skiing with some headphones on, with this playing in the background

*generally though it's 'Remember You're a Womble'

Many professional degrees (MD/DO/etc) don’t care what your undergrad degree is in as long as you complete the prerequisite classes required for admission.

Are you positive you fully understand how the admissions board at your school looks at students?

Are you positive you fully understand how the admissions board at your school looks at students?
Hes right.
Health Professional schools may weigh science coursework more heavily, but they dont actually care about the major as long as requirements are filled.

Med schools may be mostly bio and psych majors, but they're also filled with liberal arts and sometimes fine arts majors. It's a give and take obviously, because dominating graduate level work in the physical sciences looks better than your shitty 4.0 in English. But if you bite off tough hard science course work and are mediocre, maybe you were better off doing the minimum course requirements while majoring in something like art of philosophy and proving that you like science or health enough through extra curriculars. Particularly DO schools seem to like diverse classes in terms of undergraduate majors.

Theres hard data on this by program, it's a minority for sure but not an irrelevant one. And theres always post baccs which are short one year programs to bolster the science resume

I interviewed applicants and sat on an admission board at a medical school in the past. All the applicant/acceptance data is made public too. Liberal arts and non science degrees get accepted at the same rate as science majors. It’s more about the GPA, MCAT, and, to a lesser degree, volunteering, research, and other factors.

I interviewed applicants and sat on an admission board at a medical school in the past. All the applicant/acceptance data is made public too. Liberal arts and non science degrees get accepted at the same rate as science majors. It’s more about the GPA, MCAT, and, to a lesser degree, volunteering, research, and other factors.

Better MD schools do weigh graduate level science course work higher though

They have a points system and you do get a boost for having a tougher course load at duke, for example (not a hard points system, but it is something that's on their rubric)

And at UNC as well, with more weight provided to upward trends when majoring in a hard science

Interesting. I'm not an expert in this though I have read that students in weaker pre-med programs had bigger odds in obtaining admissions(not being as prepared for MCAT, not as strong with letters of recommendation, volunteer and work experience wasn't as relevant).

Back