Any MMA bout where Overeem came back from adversity?

From what I understand, he was being handled by Hunt until the submission.

From what I understand, he was being handled by Hunt until the submission.

Then you better watch the fight cus there wasn't much handling from either side until Hunto pushed Reem to the ground and got owned.

i think overeems adversity wasn't in anyone fight, that he came back from, but from his whole career. He's been ko and hurt a lot, but he still comes back to fight again.

He was losing to werdum and ended up winning. If the counts

:)

I have to agree. Overeem and Brock are both quintessential bullies. Can dish it out, but do not deal well when the aggression is returned.

I don't think Vitor necessarily suffers from "bully syndrome." His mental blocks are just a mystery, and he was so close with that armbar on Jones.

Hold on there, speedy. Lesnar at least has a record of fighting against adversity.

Adversity in a fight = KO'd Overeem. In general.

But he did make a comeback in that one fight. Wait, I'm thinking of someone else.

Hold on there, speedy. Lesnar at least has a record of fighting against adversity.

Yeah, I never liked Lesnar, but he showed heart against Carwin. Overeem's never done anything like that in his career.

Yeah, I never liked Lesnar, but he showed heart against Carwin. Overeem's never done anything like that in his career.

Interesting point, one I had not thought of. Overeem will have to get a KO to beat Cain. It looks like Cain's cardio just wore dos Santos down.

Not MMA but this was a pretty back and forth fight that Overeem comes out on top:

Can't think of any right off the top of my head. Overeem wins when he is a hammer, but crumbles when he is the nail.

The relative 'success' in the heavyweight division (and I emphasize relative because he's only beaten Lesnar and squeaked by heartless Werdum) compared to his 205lb run is because physically not many people can hammer Overeem. He's still the same fighter that fought Shogun, Liddell, Arona and Kharitonov and I won't be surprised if he crumbles to Velasquez's pace and relentlessness.

If anyone can make Overeem look like he did in the fights where he seemingly crumbled I do believe that Cain Velasquez can do it but I don't believe that Overeem lacks heart nor did he ever. Fighters, even great fighters can lose. In most of Overeem's losses the fights were competitive and he got beat by quality opponents many of whom have the power to knock out anyone their size. I also think Overeem's stamina problems were mainly caused by being in the wrong weight class.

He was too big naturally for 205 and the weight cut meant he didn't have a great gas tank. At Heavyweight he doesn't have to worry about cutting much weight if any and his strength and size made him a powerhouse. So now he can demolish most fighters before they get a chance to push him in to later rounds. He can still gas because of all of that muscle but if you can't deal with the physicality of Overeem early on you're going to lose.

I think Velasquez is going to have greater difficulty with fighting Overeem with the strategy he used against Dos Santos because Overeem is more versatile. If you pressure him you're putting yourself in position to get clinched. He's not easy to take to the ground. One concern I have as an Overeem fan is that Cain did a great job of mixing up his standup and wrestling. He kept dropping levels so Junior didn't know if he was going to go for a takedown or if he was going to pop back up and punch him in the face. Overeem had that problem with Werdum. He was too worried about the takedown and it allowed Werdum to get in more punches than usual.

Overeem has to work on his striking defense and takedown defense a lot for Velasquez.

But on the flip side if Cain can't get Overeem to the ground and keep him on the ground he can get knocked out. Look at what happened in the first Dos Santos fight and even the Kongo fight where he was rocked several times. Overeem could put Cain's lights out with one good shot. Let's also not forget Overeem's ground game. He hasn't been on his back alot recently. The last time we saw him he submitted Hunt within seconds of being on his back. If Overeem does get taken to the ground by Cain but isn't hurt he might attempt a submission.

This is a good fight because both fighters are so versatile and so lethal with each of their fighting styles. It's all about who has the ability to execute their gameplan.

Won't make a difference if he waxes you before you hurt him.

O.k., if that helps you sleep at night TS. Overeem had big cardio issues and was sapped of energy and strength in his fights at 205. And it takes a special kind of guy to keep coming at him now. There is only one Sergei and only one Shogun and Overeem is now 45 pounds of lean mass bigger. He won the K-1 grand prix at that size and in that shape. He's only improved since then. You think those guys didn't try to push back hard and make him break? Everyone can break if pushed hard enough. Sometimes you get lucky and survive and come back and it's a skill to stay calm and come back, but it isn't all mental fortitude either. Often it's luck, a hard head, a guy gassing trying to put you away, etc. Either way it's not going to be easy to push him.

Not getting up because you were bludgeoned to near or total unconsciousness and not having heart aren't the same thing...

If anyone can make Overeem look like he did in the fights where he seemingly crumbled I do believe that Cain Velasquez can do it but I don't believe that Overeem lacks heart nor did he ever. Fighters, even great fighters can lose. In most of Overeem's losses the fights were competitive and he got beat by quality opponents many of whom have the power to knock out anyone their size. I also think Overeem's stamina problems were mainly caused by being in the wrong weight class.

He was too big naturally for 205 and the weight cut meant he didn't have a great gas tank. At Heavyweight he doesn't have to worry about cutting much weight if any and his strength and size made him a powerhouse. So now he can demolish most fighters before they get a chance to push him in to later rounds. He can still gas because of all of that muscle but if you can't deal with the physicality of Overeem early on you're going to lose.

I think Velasquez is going to have greater difficulty with fighting Overeem with the strategy he used against Dos Santos because Overeem is more versatile. If you pressure him you're putting yourself in position to get clinched. He's not easy to take to the ground. One concern I have as an Overeem fan is that Cain did a great job of mixing up his standup and wrestling. He kept dropping levels so Junior didn't know if he was going to go for a takedown or if he was going to pop back up and punch him in the face. Overeem had that problem with Werdum. He was too worried about the takedown and it allowed Werdum to get in more punches than usual.

Overeem has to work on his striking defense and takedown defense a lot for Velasquez.

But on the flip side if Cain can't get Overeem to the ground and keep him on the ground he can get knocked out. Look at what happened in the first Dos Santos fight and even the Kongo fight where he was rocked several times. Overeem could put Cain's lights out with one good shot. Let's also not forget Overeem's ground game. He hasn't been on his back alot recently. The last time we saw him he submitted Hunt within seconds of being on his back. If Overeem does get taken to the ground by Cain but isn't hurt he might attempt a submission.

This is a good fight because both fighters are so versatile and so lethal with each of their fighting styles. It's all about who has the ability to execute their gameplan.

This

Back