Any MMA bout where Overeem came back from adversity?

Mooner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Can't think of any right off the top of my head. Overeem wins when he is a hammer, but crumbles when he is the nail.

The relative 'success' in the heavyweight division (and I emphasize relative because he's only beaten Lesnar and squeaked by heartless Werdum) compared to his 205lb run is because physically not many people can hammer Overeem. He's still the same fighter that fought Shogun, Liddell, Arona and Kharitonov and I won't be surprised if he crumbles to Velasquez's pace and relentlessness.

Certainly not this one:

knockouts_Mauricio_Shogun_Rua_KOs_Alistair_Overeem_PRIDE_33.gif

Or this one:

knockouts_Sergei_Kharitonov_KO_Alistair_Overeem.gif

Well there was that one time he was supposed to get destroyed.

susumu08.jpg

Belfort and Overeem are the same exact type of fighters, mentally. Those guys win when they are hammers, but can't win when they are nails.

Belfort and Overeem are the same exact type of fighters, mentally. Those guys win when they are hammers, but can't win when they are nails.

I have to agree. Overeem and Brock are both quintessential bullies. Can dish it out, but do not deal well when the aggression is returned.

I don't think Vitor necessarily suffers from "bully syndrome." His mental blocks are just a mystery, and he was so close with that armbar on Jones.

Really? Because it's the same as his fights at 205lb when he is dominant. Overeem's a beast when he is winning, but same as his fights at 205lb, he's bound to run into fighters that don't give two shits and push the pace. That's where he'll break mentally like at 205lb.

I don't think he broke mentally at 205, he would gas very quickly or just got beat by better fighters.

Really? Because it's the same as his fights at 205lb when he is dominant. Overeem's a beast when he is winning, but same as his fights at 205lb, he's bound to run into fighters that don't give two shits and push the pace. That's where he'll break mentally like at 205lb.

The last few fights at 205 did not go to well. I have not looked at his record for ra while but as far as I remember he was having a hard time. He did blame it somewhat on his child for keeping him awake, but as a HW he

Damn them dubbs and not being able to edit type o

The second Belfort fight didn't start well for Overeem.

There's one for you.

I don't think he broke mentally at 205, he would gas very quickly or just got beat by better fighters.

I don't buy this. Sure his cardio must have been less than stellar, but he'd often turtle up and give in when things go tough. THis is usually despite Overeem manhandling his opponents so their cardio must be even more sapped, but Overeem still lost because he broke mentally when his adversaries continued to go after him.

Ex. Shogun in both fights, Liddell, Kharatonov, Lil Nog.

The second Belfort fight didn't start well for Overeem.

There's one for you.

Okay, yeah that's one fight I guess where you can count it. However, it's Belfort we are speaking about and he is even worse mentally than Overeem in this regard. He kept flopping to guard after nailing him. I wouldn't necessarily say it was Overeem's merit, but rather Belfort's flaws.

The last few fights at 205 did not go to well. I have not looked at his record for ra while but as far as I remember he was having a hard time. He did blame it somewhat on his child for keeping him awake, but as a HW he

I don't buy this. Sure his cardio must have been less than stellar, but he'd often turtle up and give in when things go tough. THis is usually despite Overeem manhandling his opponents so their cardio must be even more sapped, but Overeem still lost because he broke mentally when his adversaries continued to go after him.

Ex. Shogun in both fights, Liddell, Kharatonov, Lil Nog.

I don't think it was mental weakness in those fights, in the Shogun fights they were high paced fights, he got tired and hit with bombs, against Liddell he was winning but Liddell caught him and put him away, same thing with Sergei(not that he was winning but he got hit with a bomb and didn't react well) and against Lil Nog Overeem had an injury going into the fight that caused him to have to give up.

In most of these fights he got hit very hard in the head and did not react well, I don't think this is mental weakness, he just didn't react well to getting hit in the head, sort of like Mir.

Back