any meat cutters out there...

lion paw

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
..A few weeks ago I was talking to a meat cutter who was picketing at his local store.At the time I didn't know they had a union for meat cutters.Furthermore,I've heard a meat cutters salary is higher($20+) compared to other grocery workers.Any cutters out there?Whats the training and experience like?

cut that meat!
cut that meat!

i'm a butcher, not a meat cutter. can't help you.

In high school I used to work at a bbq joint. I was the slicer. I manned the machine, and I took pride in my work.

I can take a full brisket and make it into the best thing you ever tasted.

I can take a full brisket and make it into the best thing you ever tasted.

God bless ye laddie

134242487532.gif

My cousin was a butcher. He made good money. They he cut his hand and damaged some nerves. Now he doesn't have to work and he gets a lot of disability money. He had a strong union.

I have never heard butchery referred to as meat cutting before. And of course the salary's going to be higher, it's skilled work.

Meat cutter is easy money at most big grocery chains. You stick around from high school on and can earn decent money. I remember when I was a kid they'd actually have a half cow hanging in the back and used to butcher instead of just cut a few slices off. Pretty sure you just go in and ask if they're hiring for meat dept.

I'm a meat cutter.

In Canada meat cutter= slave

Being able to skillfully use a knife in your kitchen is a handy skill to have but as a career I'd recommend you look for something else. The only way I'd recommend it as a career would be if you were going to be self employed. Even then you're going to have to work like a slave to make money.

Meat cutting in a retail setting means that you open up a cardboard box then you open up the cryovac packaged meat that is inside, trim and cut it into smaller pieces. Doing that all day long is not very rewarding. Most of the actual butchering work is done inside massive meat packing plants by immigrants being paid $12\hr.

I was an actual butcher 20 years ago. I got to kill and cut whole animals, cure and smoke meats and learned to make sausage and cooked deli meats.

Looking for a career? Avoid working in retail in ANY capacity.

I'm a meat cutter.

In Canada meat cutter= slave

Being able to skillfully use a knife in your kitchen is a handy skill to have but as a career I'd recommend you look for something else. The only way I'd recommend it as a career would be if you were going to be self employed. Even then you're going to have to work like a slave to make money.

Meat cutting in a retail setting means that you open up a cardboard box then you open up the cryovac packaged meat that is inside, trim and cut it into smaller pieces. Doing that all day long is not very rewarding. Most of the actual butchering work is done inside massive meat packing plants by immigrants being paid $12\hr.

I was an actual butcher 20 years ago. I got to kill and cut whole animals, cure and smoke meats and learned to make sausage and cooked deli meats.

Looking for a career? Avoid working in retail in ANY capacity.

Bad news,I'm already there lol.I've been doing retail for 10 yrs.Looking for something else.Check out my public works dept. thread.

i had a bad incident with a razor and my weiner before a date one time.

does that count?

I got a question for butchers. Why is skirt steak so common in the south, but non existent/very expensive in the Midwest?

I got a question for butchers. Why is skirt steak so common in the south, but non existent/very expensive in the Midwest?

dude good pieces of skirt steak here in NYC sell for $12 per pound. I dont mean Manhattan NY. Unless you buy the whole piece of skirt then its 8.99

Is this about circumcisions?

I knew a guy once, who got fired for putting his junk in the meat slicer at work.

As far as I know, she got fired too.

what's the difference between meat cutter and a butcher?

honestly curious

Back