Any interest in Pacquiao-Marquez III at 140lbs?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Cold_Sun, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Cold_Sun

Cold_Sun Orange Belt

I'd like to see it. Marquez is getting old but still looks good at 135.

2. TheRatman

TheRatman Brown Belt

Only if it at 135lbs. I think that evens the playing field a little more. At 140lbs PAC needs to fight the big names(Bradley,Devon, Madiana) I leave out Khan as he was PAC sparring partner.

3. prod2821

prod2821 Gold Belt

yea I agree with this

4. enswell****

enswell**** Blue Belt

No, not at all, none whatsoever.

2 fights is enough against a non-draw whiner like Marquez; it's onward to bigger and better things and Pac Man testing himself against big Welters and Junior-Middles that Marquez could never even dream of beating.

5. imarayda

imarayda Purple Belt

yeah he is the last person to give pacman a fight

6. rsreed13

rsreed13 Yellow Belt

Not really. Marquez looked slow at 144, and Roach said Pacquiao is now comfortable at that weight and would have to miss meals to make 140. At this point, as unfortunate as it is, they both have kind've gotten comfortable at very different weights. I honestly don't think that a fight at a catchweight would do them any good as one of the fighters would be at a disadvantage.

I'd much rather see Pacquiao fight Mayweather or Berto at 147, and Marquez defend his 135 belt against Kastidis. The guys at 140 need to clear themselves out. If Alexander wins, he and Bradley need to duke it out to get one of them the Ring Belt, and let Khan (who is on his promoter's leash) and Maidana (who will likely end up that way) fight for the chance to be #1 contender.

7. eddymotto

eddymotto Red Belt

love to see this fight... at 135. since that is not going to happen, I guess we never see the trilogy. too bad. I had both of their first 2 fights as draws

8. Del the Funk66

Del the Funk66 Purple Belt

Not a fan of this either. Marquez would not be comfortable at a higher weight and I can't imagine Manny cutting down to mid 130s...

9. Cold_Sun

Cold_Sun Orange Belt

The problem is a lack of big name fighters in the 135 pound division. There are already talks about him moving up the 140 to face Amir Khan, so he's headed that way anyway. At 140, you've got Alexander, Bradley, Khan, Judah now, etc. etc. Lots of opportunity for Marquez.

10. FreshPrince

FreshPrince Banned Banned

It's a great fight. Pacquiao hasn't gotten much bigger and could still go down to 135, but I doubt it there's much difference if it's at 140. I think Pacquiao has become a more complete fighter over the last few years and could beat Marquez convincingly, but it's still a very competitive fight, a lot of action, and one that should happen.

If Mayweather doesn't fight Manny next spring, it's the fight that makes the most sense for Pacquiao. He beat Cotto too badly for there to be interest in a rematch, Berto hasn't proved anything to get the fight, I think Mosley should look into retiring, and he would wreck any of the young guys at 140, possibly derailing potentially great careers for them.

11. TheRatman

TheRatman Brown Belt

How long do you guys think before Gamboa, Lopez move up to 135? 3-4 yes I think. I would like to Urango vs Marquez at 135.

12. TheRatman

TheRatman Brown Belt

Berto hasn't proved anything? That's because the big names won't fight him. He undefeated and has been begging for a fight. I wish someone would give him a chance.

Also the guys has been the number 1 or 2 contender for atleast a year and hasn't even got a shot at one of the BS belts at 147. Why is he being blackballed by the sanctioning bodies?

13. Del the Funk66

Del the Funk66 Purple Belt

Marquez would struggle at 140. Look at how crappy he looked against Mayweather. The man is in his mid 30s. I don't think making weight jumps would be in his best interest.

14. FreshPrince

Clottey, Williams, Cintron, Angulo, Bradley, Alexander, or even Cotto are there. Fight one of them.

And he isn't being blackballed by anyone. HE'S WBC CHAMPION! He didn't to shit to get that fight either.

The guy hasn't proved himself as a great fighter and he's a complete shit draw (sold less than 1,500 tickets last fight). He doesn't deserve a shot at the top dog. I wouldn't complain if he did get that fight, but Marquez deserves it a lot more.

15. TheRatman

TheRatman Brown Belt

Your Right, Blackballed is a bad choice of words and I didn;t know he was the WBC champ. I just felt bad that the Mosley fight fell though but I don't blame him on pulling out, but because he not a big draw should not keep him from getting a big name to fight. He says he wants anybody and everybody and the names you mention won't fight him. Bradley wants Khan, Williams wants Pac, Clintron hasn't said anything, and Angulo wants Martinez and Alexerdar wants Bradley. None of the top guys in 140-154 will fight because he can't sell but until he get a chance a big name, how can he become a big star.

16. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

I don't see any real reason for this fight to happen. JMM stepped up to 147 one time and got shut out and intimidated by a man that Pac is targeting as an opponent...

fighting a man that lost in such a one sided fashion in his one attempt at the weight class that Pac codominates is a step backwards.

The only way this fight would be a relevant match up is if JMM moved up and showed that he was still on pacs level vs. world class competition.

17. FreshPrince

All those fighters you named may want other people, but they don't call the shots. Pacquaio and Mayweather pick who they want, the rest feed on what's left.

Dibella has talked about Bradley and Cotto as possible fights. Both of those fights can be made, and both are good fights for Berto.

Berto vs Bradley Clash Will Be Explored Says DiBella - Boxing News

18. TheRatman

TheRatman Brown Belt

Thats a good fight for Berto and Cotto. If Berto wins then he finally gets that big name and if Cotto wins he beats another undefeated fighter.

I like Bradley vs Berto but not sure I want that fight. I am fan of both of them and not want to see them make a name for self off the other. I would watch it in a sec. though.

19. S-dot

S-dot Brown Belt

I guess i'm one of the few who would love to see this at any weight. The first 2 fights, beside being excellent entertainment, were so odd because of marquez outboxing pac for more rounds between the 2. I think I'd watch these 2 fight 10 times to be honest, just a great style matchup. I give a fuck about weight.

20. nonfighter

nonfighter Brown Belt

I wouldn't mind seeing a 3rd fight between Pacquiao & JMM.

JMM has fought very well vs. Pacquiao, and those previous fights were pretty damn compelling.

If Pacquiao beats Margarito, then why not?

Hopefully, Arum gets his head out of his ass and agrees to the trilogy.