Any ideas?

judofarmerbob

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My Boss is the second-banana at my Judo Club. He's about 5'9" 280, and has been a 4th dan for 15ish years. The dude is such a bad ass he won collegiate nationals back in the day with a dislocated shoulder and a punctured lung. Then again, he's also t-boned a truck on his motorcycle at 70mph and had the presence of mind to do a rolling fall. It subluxated his hip, broke his hand, and gave him a concussion, but that's it.

Anyway, the point is that I can't do shit against him. There's no offense. The only times I've ever tossed him have been off of suplexes from hip tosses or catchin him on his foot sweeps. I've tried to Te Guruma him before, but it's really hard to Te Guruma somebody who can turn any hip toss into a Makikomi and the harder I pull back away from him the more oomph he puts into the throw.

The dude is a farmer. Farmer oomph is the wrath of god. He doesn't fuck around with me either. Everything he ever throws is a soto or taio makikomi. I can stop just about everything else, but I can't stop either of those. Every other time I can get lucky and ride it down, but if he gets enough wrap on me there's nothing I can do.

I can't hip toss him because I've got a half foot on him. I've got a wicked osoto but he's a bit stocky for that and last night I got Te-Gurumaed mostly by my balls. I've flying armbarred him, but he's got balance to the point where he can squat down and stay standing, and since it's Randori and Judo Rules at that, there's no locking in mid-air. So he just stands there and laughs.

He usually plays me left-handed with a high grip, and I'm pretty much completely incapacitated once he gets it. It's hard enough mustering up the strength to get the guy off his base, and when he's throwing at full power there's pretty much not a damn thing I can do.

Tomoenage/Pulling Guard isn't a very smart idea either. For starters, I can barely close my guard around him, and like I said, he's got about 100 lbs on me, and mad farmer strength. We call him the Great Oak. That's how unpossible it is.

Any suggestions?

just keep training with him and learn his style, you will, over time, develop counters to his favorite techniques.

waht is a second banana? LOL

I hate big guys with skill (I am jsut big myself evne that is hard for skilled people to deal with)

He sound like one of my coaches to (or rahter a dude i began judo with at the same time as but he has 20 years of judo and a few years of JJJ under his belts)

tire him out?

tried the fake ippon into osoto?

Just spar with him for the sole reason that you are learning to deal with someone that is a badass that has more size, strength and experience than you. It'll make you feel like you're twice someone's size when you compete against someone your own weight.

^^^^QFT

after competing with my mate I can trash big blue belts, I haven't had another judoka pass my guard in comp(granted I haven't spent much time there)

I can beat anybody else. I smoke people at my weight and the weight above me. The Grandmaster doesn't roll or randori with us young bucks but he's 60 next month and I can't blame him, but if I ever did play him he'd beat my ass like the little bitch I am.

That being said, it's just a hard body type. Playing a guy with 35 years of Judo experience who's shorter and has 100 stocky pounds on me is always humbling. Like I said, there's no Kazushi with the guy unless I just Banzai in there, and even then, he's still smart enough and quick enough to counter most stuff.

If he wasn't that much stronger than me I'd be okay, but when he decides it's time the throw, unless I counter perfectly, I'm fuckin' done.

I guess I should just lift more weights.

I'd keep attacking with foot sweeps when he advances. Get him thinking about it, and out of his element.

Great thing about foot sweeps, they work well with all body types.

I'd also try switching grips frequently. Take a left-handed classic sleeve collar grip if your righthanded, forcing him to think about doing the same.

Back