Any ideas on James Thompson's return?

padda

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I know he had to pull out of the rematch with Lashley a few months back due to injury, but I'm disappointed not to have read anything since.

Anyone heard anything about him lately? I did a quick Google search but didn't net anything. His Facebook account is fairly active and it looks like he is expecting a baby in about six months, and unsurprisingly seems interested in a rematch with Kimbo, but no fights announced yet.

With Kimbo back in MMA at Bellator it seem like a fight that would have a reasonable narrative and would probably get decent views.

Anyone have more info about him coming back, or the potential match up?

I don't think that Kimbo would want to fight him.

Kimbo rematch is something I actually WANT to see, and have for years. Colossus got screwed in the original fight, and he has probably improved in the years since, while Kimbo has regressed.

Lashley rematch is something okay to follow-up with, but only because Bellator doesn't really have much to choose from at HW.

Kongo would be a better fight.

What I'd most want to see after the Kimbo and Kongo fights is maybe some LHWs drinking water to weigh in at 206 and fight him... Maybe Tito or Bonnar or something.

I keep forgetting about Kongo! That would be something fresh to see, and I don't remember hearing much about him since the loss to King Mo. Maybe new signing Lorenzo Hood would be a decent scrap too, if he wins his debut at the end of the month.

Figured Thompson isn't getting any younger but has only fought twice in the last three years. Want to see a return!

I just find it odd that from my perception at least, Bellator have relatively few HW and the ones they do have aren't particularly active. Doubt there is much incentive for the LHW to step up as a result.

I keep forgetting about Kongo! That would be something fresh to see, and I don't remember hearing much about him since the loss to King Mo. Maybe new signing Lorenzo Hood would be a decent scrap too, if he wins his debut at the end of the month.

Figured Thompson isn't getting any younger but has only fought twice in the last three years. Want to see a return!

I just find it odd that from my perception at least, Bellator have relatively few HW and the ones they do have aren't particularly active. Doubt there is much incentive for the LHW to step up as a result.

Yeah, JT is a freakshow type fighter but he knows it, embraces it, and is a good sport about it.

Bellator should take advantage and give the guy some damn freak matches because he's willing to play ball with their new "tentpole" mentality.

Maybe they could snag someone like Gilbert Yvel or Travis Fulton to come in and give the Colossus some action. Come to think of it, Fulton would be a great fit in Bellator. They would properly market his whole ironman 250-win thing.

Uh oh, I'm creeping up on 10,000 posts. I'm about to enter Da Speeit and Lucifer Alpha territory!

Uh oh, I'm creeping up on 10,000 posts. I'm about to enter Da Speeit and Lucifer Alpha territory!

The Travis Wiuff of Sherdog

I think he would beat Kimbo badly in a rematch, he's has been going to his ground game a lot lately and Kimbo couldn't stop the takedowns in their first fight so he definitely won't be able to this time around.

I think they will throw him in there with Lashley, they want Lashley to win fights badly and that is a winnable rematch for him.

Sad the Alexander fight will never happen. Really want to see it! He just had 2 kids btw.

He would beat Kimbo at this point so no, don't blow the Kimbo load. Shamrock v Tank winner gets Kimbo rematch. Keep Kimbo busy in meantime with Dan Quinn, Dada 5000, etc.

As for Thompson Lashley is a good match.

I'd like to see JT fight Kongo, would be interesting to see how much he has progressed...I never thought Lashley would have a hard time out wrestling JT but it seems he has improved, he has pretty good top game too.

However, his striking is still super stiff and he seems to get tagged a lot. If he loses to Kongo, he can fight Kimbo and Lashley rematch but I think given his current streak he deserves one of bellators more legitimate talent.

I'd like to see JT fight Kongo, would be interesting to see how much he has progressed...I never thought Lashley would have a hard time out wrestling JT but it seems he has improved, he has pretty good top game too.

However, his striking is still super stiff and he seems to get tagged a lot. If he loses to Kongo, he can fight Kimbo and Lashley rematch but I think given his current streak he deserves one of bellators more legitimate talent.

I think Kongo would be better used fighting for the title.

Back