Any HVAC guys here?

edco76

huh?
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm having some problems with my heat pump.

It's a Ruud Achiever series. Not sure what model. Its a single stage system.

Anyway. About a month ago I noticed the air coming out of the vents was room temperature. So I check the thermostat and it is a few degrees below the setting. I can hear things running so I peek outside and sure enough, the unit is quiet and the fan isnt spinning.

I shut everything off and opened up the unit, just in case there was something obvious.

I notice a small panel with 2 LED lights and a legend explaining what the lights mean. According to this, my problem was a "Low Pressure Lock Out" and it says that I can "Test it" There are 2 prongs that you bridge to do this. I did a it fired right up.

Only problem is that it just did it again. I did the trick and it didnt work. Waited about 10 minutes and tried again and this time it worked fine.

Any ideas on what could be the problem? I really don't know anyone in the business and I don't trust people to come out and not rip me off.

But I also don't want to freeze my balls off lol

did you make sure the device is powered on

I would but I have no idea where to get space fuel, the prices are through the roof since NASA got defunded.
gosling-clapping.gif

Well played....

I'm having some problems with my heat pump.

It's a Ruud Achiever series. Not sure what model. Its a single stage system.

Anyway. About a month ago I noticed the air coming out of the vents was room temperature. So I check the thermostat and it is a few degrees below the setting. I can hear things running so I peek outside and sure enough, the unit is quiet and the fan isnt spinning.

I shut everything off and opened up the unit, just in case there was something obvious.

I notice a small panel with 2 LED lights and a legend explaining what the lights mean. According to this, my problem was a "Low Pressure Lock Out" and it says that I can "Test it" There are 2 prongs that you bridge to do this. I did a it fired right up.

Only problem is that it just did it again. I did the trick and it didnt work. Waited about 10 minutes and tried again and this time it worked fine.

Any ideas on what could be the problem? I really don't know anyone in the business and I don't trust people to come out and not rip me off.

But I also don't want to freeze my balls off lol

Your unit is low on refrigerant, when you bypassed the unit it ran for a bit before it tripped on low pressure again. As for waiting for ten minutes to bypass it again, that's just a time delay for the unit for it's protection, your indoor fan coil is probably frozen while it ran on such low pressures before it tripped. You need someone to go there and do a leak check to find out where the refrigerant is lost.

Good news is the cooling system works, bad news is there is some labor involved in fixing the leak unless it's something simple as a leaky schrader.

You just want someone to find the leak as it's low on refrigerant and you don't want anything else added to it, if you want to save money. A tech can rip you off by saying you need a new comp or fan or something stupid like that. He may even steal a few hours by saying you may need a new contractor.

Since the cooling system works fine, you just want to be specific with them and say there is a possible leak in the system and i want to find out why my unit is short on refrigeratn.

Last edited:
Your unit is low on refrigerant, when you bypassed the unit it ran for a bit before it tripped on low pressure again. As for waiting for ten minutes to bypass it again, that's just a time delay for the unit for it's protection, don't want things short cycling all over the place. You need someone to go there and do a leak check to find out where the refrigerant is lost.

Good news is the cooling system works, bad news is there is some labor involved in fixing the leak unless it's something simple as a leaky schrader.

Bleh, I don't like having people fix shit. I don't trust the bastards.

Bleh, I don't like having people fix shit. I don't trust the bastards.

I know man lol. That's what they are there for, so long as you are somewhat educated on what needs to be done the tech won't fuck with you, also by checking up on him while he works you don't give him much leverage to sabotage you.

You just want someone to find the leak as it's low on refrigerant and you don't want anything else added to it, if you want to save money. A tech can rip you off by saying you need a new comp or fan or something stupid like that. He may even steal a few hours by saying you may need a new contractor.

Since the cooling system works fine, you just want to be specific with them and say there is a possible leak in the system and i want to find out why my unit is short on refrigerant.

I have a heat pump in my house as well. I would have offered the same advice on low refrigerant...This seems to happen every few years on my unit.

I have a heat pump in my house as well. I would have offered the same advice on low refrigerant...This seems to happen every few years on my unit.

How old is your unit, and what make is it? Unless the unit is very old it shouldn't have too many leaks. Thought lately the ones that have 410A refrigerant tend to have more frequent leaks due to the fact they operate at higher pressures.

Step 1: change your air filters
Step 2: check refrigerant
Step 3: ah fuck

Buy a propane heater, the little green canisters are cheap for whole house warming.

I wonder if its anything like a pressure switch in a furnace. I have been dealing with a pressure switch issue for the last 2 weeks. royal pain in the ass.

I wonder if its anything like a pressure switch in a furnace. I have been dealing with a pressure switch issue for the last 2 weeks. royal pain in the ass.

Not quite, his issue is that his system has low refrigerant, so the refrigerant is escaping somewhere outside the system (leak). When your short on refrigerant the pressures get low and it will continue run lower pressures as the compressor pumps away. Eventually the pressure gets so low that it reaches a point where it is set for the low pressure switch to open tripping out the system. This is a safety to protect the compressor, if it runs for too low for a long time you damage your compressor and then you have an even more expensive problem to fix.

In your situation i would assume you could have a faulty limit switch, does the furnace trip off and you have to reset it often? You see 4 blinking lights on your control board? Is your blower direct drive or belt driven?

Last edited:
Mine is getting a triple red. "Pressure switch stuck open".

May possibly have it sorted. its been running for 7 days with no issue with the cold intake off. Manual says it can be run with 2" pipe but i have read lots of stuff by people saying it can trip the switch with 2".

Don't want to derail someone else's thread. was curious whether the 2 were related. makes sense that they are not.

Mine is getting a triple red. "Pressure switch stuck open".

May possibly have it sorted. its been running for 7 days with no issue with the cold intake off. Manual says it can be run with 2" pipe but i have read lots of stuff by people saying it can trip the switch with 2".

Don't want to derail someone else's thread. was curious whether the 2 were related. makes sense that they are not.

Yeah i just think the pressure switch in question is no good and needs to be replaced in your case. I think you should get it resolved, as you are recirculating bad air from inside your house by not introducing fresh air from your cold air intake. This can also cause corrosive chemicals to develop within your unit, making your breathing space a hazard.

Last edited:
Back