Any hit to the head causes brain damage

look guys, i i'm not sure how i could get into sparring or even do drills picturing every time i get hit my brain bouncing around my cranium.

I have a very very high IQ. i can't put that at risk

Then the answer is simple, ring sports and MMA aren't for you. Go for a traditional martial art with no full contact sparring instead.

How do put this so our high IQ friend get's it... .

You could do yoga all your life and end up with Lou Gehrigs disease or cancer at 35 or you could box and live to be 90 and have a fresh brain.

It's not fair or logical.

look guys, i i'm not sure how i could get into sparring or even do drills picturing every time i get hit my brain bouncing around my cranium.

I have a very very high IQ. i can't put that at risk
Then train smart dummy. I think it's pretty intelligent to get a bit of brain damage and know how to protect yourself vs having no brain damage and then not being able to stop someone from stomping you retarded.

I dont really get why they always pick boxing for these demonstrations. Its interesting but well then also dont play football, soccer (head butting 100km/h acclerated balls), handball , and many other sports. In the end dont do any contact sports.

I dont really get why they always pick boxing for these demonstrations. Its interesting but well then also dont play football, soccer (head butting 100km/h acclerated balls), handball , and many other sports. In the end dont do any contact sports.

You can't deny that there is more head contact in a sport where you're trying to knock your opponent out during several rounds using your hands with 90% of your shots aimed at their head, vs. a sport like football (what you call soccer) where you might head the ball once in a game if you're lucky or handball where it's very rare to take the ball in the head or any other contacts to the head for that matter. That's why they picked boxing for the example, a simple example that everyone understands.

You're right about American football though, and sports like ice hockey and rugby can be added to that list.

Lol@boasting IQ on Sherdog
While I agree with lambasting his retarded IQ boast, I was hoping you could address the brain damage while training topic. Given your great breath of experience I would love to know what you think on it. How do you train your guys, do you do so in a way to mitigate it.

This topic reminds me of my time doing boxing and mma and highlights the fact that both venues spend way to little time drilling and teaching defense. Same thing with the mma gym I went to. Very little if any time devoted to developing defense. I watch videos on line and go to topics in forums talking about the way coaches lay out the syllabis for the days training, and notice very little time devoted to defense.

One youtube boxing instructor said that he notices gyms only dedicating less then 25% time to defense training, when in his opinion it should be 50%.

So. Why is that guys. Why do so many modern striking arts gyms put so little time into training defense?

You can't deny that there is more head contact in a sport where you're trying to knock your opponent out during several rounds using your hands with 90% of your shots aimed at their head, vs. a sport like football (what you call soccer) where you might head the ball once in a game if you're lucky or handball where it's very rare to take the ball in the head or any other contacts to the head for that matter. That's why they picked boxing for the example, a simple example that everyone understands.

You're right about American football though, and sports like ice hockey and rugby can be added to that list.

I have you watched high level boxing between "technicians"? They barely touch either clean. Most boring thing to watch in the world. Like fencing with gloves. Boxing can look very different depending on how well the two are matched and their styles, and not very dangerous.

So. Why is that guys. Why do so many modern striking arts gyms put so little time into training defense?

Hard to realistically recreate under controlled conditions? Kinda lika self defence classes. There's a disconnect between theory and practise, which can only be honed through experience - sparring, fighting etc.

I wish I had a high IQ. I'd trade my devastating and legendary left hook for 20 more points of IQ any day.

I look at it the positive way, there's nothing going to waste. My working memory was useless to begin with.

Don't worry, concussions only kill your slower brain cells at first, so you actually get smarter for a while as your dumber brain cells are killed off. It's when your smart brain cells start dying that you run into problems.

Don't tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death.

Hard to realistically recreate under controlled conditions? Kinda lika self defence classes. There's a disconnect between theory and practise, which can only be honed through experience - sparring, fighting etc.
But I am talking a bout a total lack of even teaching the defense more then once. There is no reason not to drill proper defenses. You cant spar something you have never done or only been given 10 minutes to practice it with a partner all month.

But I am talking a bout a total lack of even teaching the defense more then once. There is no reason not to drill proper defenses. You cant spar something you have never done or only been given 10 minutes to practice it with a partner all month.

Probably because a lot of gyms don't know that much about how to. It's more difficult to learn, conceptualize, do, it's more difficult to teach, and most students want to skip over it. This makes it a negative instead of providing a reward/payoff for those who have learned it and want to teach it, and even more so for those who want to learn it so they can teach it. Almost nobody even asks for it, and it's gotten worse over the last few decades. So some is lost every year

Defensive skills aren't given the proper respect or acclaim it deserves. All the highlights are of aggressive plays, but the slickest KO's are brought about by defensive knowledge/ability used to create a wide opening for the finish. All plebs see is the finish and think it is due to hyper aggression and nothing else. If whoever could drum up the most aggression was the secret to boxing, every fuccboi juicehead and his dog would be Ali (but, of course, it happens to work the exact opposite)

While I agree with lambasting his retarded IQ boast, I was hoping you could address the brain damage while training topic. Given your great breath of experience I would love to know what you think on it. How do you train your guys, do you do so in a way to mitigate it.

This topic reminds me of my time doing boxing and mma and highlights the fact that both venues spend way to little time drilling and teaching defense. Same thing with the mma gym I went to. Very little if any time devoted to developing defense. I watch videos on line and go to topics in forums talking about the way coaches lay out the syllabis for the days training, and notice very little time devoted to defense.

One youtube boxing instructor said that he notices gyms only dedicating less then 25% time to defense training, when in his opinion it should be 50%.

The thing is we've had this discussion about a zillion times around here. It gets tiresome. Perhaps one day I'll do a comprehensive thread about brain damage negation. However, that's a big thing I teach and people pay for that. So I get conflicted about just putting what they pay for out there.

The thing is we've had this discussion about a zillion times around here. It gets tiresome. Perhaps one day I'll do a comprehensive thread about brain damage negation. However, that's a big thing I teach and people pay for that. So I get conflicted about just putting what they pay for out there.
Ah. Well, not looking to get a free lunch from you Sinister, so my apologies.

Perhaps you can chime in on the perception that I have that defense is not being trained enough, or at all.

TS if youre that worried then like many people have said this probably isnt the sport for you (any combat sport). My dad was in the artillery and said many people had brain damage and concussions just from being so close to those guns when firing. Life is give and take win and lose. Very personal question imo.

As well from what iv learned through exp. And reading up on it headgear actually causes more damage to the brain then if you were to get hit with the same shot without head gear.

Joe Rogan has said that he thinks smart fighters (like smart people not just fight IQ) have the hardest time with dealing with CTE and all that because they are aware of it and know the danger they put their body in. The difference is if you actually want it youll keep going knowing the danger, if not you worry about it too much to even enjoy going anymore

Back