Any hip hop devotees here who feel Kanye is obscenely overrated?

Em is definitely top 10. Top 5 is opinion.

I think he is. I would definitely put him above scarface or jay z (most overrated rapper of all time).

have to completely disagree with you there. Nas stans and hip-hop heads love to hate jay, but he is probably the most relevant and influential rapper since big and pac.

Not to make this a race thing, but white people put Em on a pedestal.
Black ppl acknowledge Em. He was good, but its different.
Em could say things that black people couldnt. He could say silly ass shit that resonates with white people that a brotha would get laughed at for saying.

Alot of white people that go "Em was one of the best" are the same that go wild for Atmosphere but couldnt tell you one song by Rakim or Big Daddy Kane.

White people in general aren't going to get Rakims raps about 5 percent teachins and Islam and all that other shit, the same way black people dont get Eminems beef with his Mom and Uncle Ronny or whoever.

Different cultures that used the same culture to get their points across.

Ive come to like Em over the years but when he was at his peak I didnt like him at all.

I don't really buy white people relating to Eminem for anything beyond the color of his skin. Its a cop out. Its not like the guy was rapping about the white experience. He grew up poor and had shitty parents, just like a lot of other rappers. He rapped about making fun of celebrities, fantasized about murdering his wife, and other horrorcore type stuff. His audience is mainly middle class males, they dont truly relate to his life experience or his shock lyrics.

I will give the track a listen.

And, even though I prefer Nas as I said, I thought Takeover had MUCH better lyrics-- at least for the first half of the track before it became more personal. "Ether," which I liked more as a junior high student, just sounds like an angry teenager trying to sound hard ("dick riding *********," "Gay-Z," "Cockafella Records," "dick-sucking lips," "Tae-bo hoe").

The lines quoted below were my favorite from Takeover.

With that said, neither one of these guys has ever written a song whose lyrics register in the conversation of basically any other music genre. Rap lyrics are, by and large, complete shit.

you're ignorant on this topic

Em is definitely top 10. Top 5 is opinion.

I think he is. I would definitely put him above scarface or jay z (most overrated rapper of all time).

I would bet money that you haven't even listened to most of Scarface's albums. Probably not Jay-Z either.

I think he's a very talented guy.

All those mocha lattes you gotta do pilates.

I always crack up when i hear that.

As a producer he has always been solid

Problem is he thinks he is a god tier lyricist; when in reality he is garbage as a rapper. Whish he would stfu and just produce beats for other artists.

have to completely disagree with you there. Nas stans and hip-hop heads love to hate jay, but he is probably the most relevant and influential rapper since big and pac.

Idc how relevant he was. He has had some great albums but he can't rap and his flow is shit, he mumbles over sick beats. Most of his stuff post blueprint/black sucks bad.

As a producer he has always been solid

Problem is he thinks he is a god tier lyricist; when in reality he is garbage as a rapper. Whish he would stfu and just produce beats for other artists.

Don't think you know what garbage means. He's outshone Jay-Z on several of their collaborations. And he's way better than most of the shit I've heard on the radio recently.

I would bet money that you haven't even listened to most of Scarface's albums. Probably not Jay-Z either.

wtf how would you know that? Ive listened to almost all of both their albums. Scarface is one of the goats, just think Em has had a better career.

Kanye sucks so bad Hopsin is better. There I said it.

Don't think you know what garbage means. He's outshone Jay-Z on several of their collaborations. And he's way better than most of the shit I've heard on the radio recently.

lol like that's something to brag about.

He had a couple of years where he was really leading the genre as far as production goes. He did the Blueprint, brought Common back, gave a lot of artists hits, and became a major artist himself. So for a moment he was worthy of the label "genius". Most of his career tho he's just been a creative, high quality artist but not legendary.

wtf how would you know that? Ive listened to almost all of both their albums. Scarface is one of the goats, just think Em has had a better career.

Based on 3 good albums? Cmon dude, their consistency isn't even close. Scarface is probably the most consistent rapper ever as far as putting out good albums.

If you like Nas and Kanye then listen to Still Dreaming, which is produced by Kanye and has both of them on it. One of my favorite songs ever.

But when speaking of Takeover vs Ether, I think Ethers lyrical content was better.
Jay Z hit with some hard shit but Nas hit back with more venom.
The problem is that Jay Z's Takeover is an overall better song when you factor in production value and all that.
Takeover was produced by Kanye. Ether was produced by Ron Browz.

Ethers beat sounds dated. It sounds very 1999-2000, has that similar sound to Hot Boyz by Missy Elliot which coincidentally has Nas on it.

Ron Browz just isn't Kanye and while I think Ether beat Takeover, I always wondered why Nas selected that beat.

*Not a bad beat by the way.

The original version of Ether was on a Swizz Beatz beat.

Most hip hop artists today are really pop stars. It is what it is

The original version of Ether was on a Swizz Beatz beat.

I know that but they didn't release it because it was too hard or some shit.
Still....why not rerecord your shit on that beat instead of going to Ron Browz and getting an entirely different beat.

Back