Any high-school teachers in the Mayberry?

If you are just getting a b.s. in poli sci you could get a teaching job whit taking the appropriate testing and probable an extra class or two. If you want to go straight into being a teacher a b.s.e is the fastest root, a poli sci b.s. needs to be coupled with a m.a. or history or social science. if you want to teach AP you need a masters in history. Schools will probably take a social science or history major over a poli sci graduate for history classes.

Yeah, that's what I was scared of, I'm attempting to transfer to UCLA and they have the 9th best poli sci program in the nation so I thought it would be good to make connections if I ever attempt an endeavor in politics but I may just major in history to get a teaching job quicker.

Well the first part is based on how I can manage a classroom and I believe I can manage it well. Also teachers actually make a pretty decent amount, a combined income with your spouse of over 100k doesn't sound bad at all to me.

Also you'll get tenure and they also increase your salary year after year. Soon you'll be in the 90-100k range in 8-10 years.

As far as job availability I know that schools are looking for Math teachers most of all.

Also you'll get tenure and they also increase your salary year after year. Soon you'll be in the 90-100k range in 8-10 years.

As far as job availability I know that schools are looking for Math teachers most of all.

Ehhh, I never heard of a teacher making six figures haha well my goal eventually is to be a professor at a community college.

Yes, I know math and science teachers are far easier to get hired but I want to teach history because I'm passionate about history. I literally do not take notes at all and ace my tests. I have this goal of being able to travel every summer a different region of the world to visit all the locations i studied about.

Yeah, that's what I was scared of, I'm attempting to transfer to UCLA and they have the 9th best poli sci program in the nation so I thought it would be good to make connections if I ever attempt an endeavor in politics but I may just major in history to get a teaching job quicker.

Poli sci is a good degree for the politically minded, i'm not saying you can't get a history job with it but it's not going to look as good as a the bachelor's in social science or the master's in history. If it helps you out any my (small school) history department looks like this:

Chair: Master's degree in Administration & Social science B.S.E. (27 years teaching)
A: Master's in History & B.S. in Poli sci
B: Bachelor's in history
C: Bachelor's in social science
D: Bachelor's in social science

Only one of our teacher's has political science background but her Master's in History got her the job, she teaches American Government.

While you are getting a lot of good advice and info in this thread, I would really suggest talking to a counselor/adviser at a college you are looking at possibly attending. They can give you more information about the degrees and the certification process in your state. Why I say that is because the certification process is different from state to state, so while I could tell you how things work in michigan, that isn't necessarily how it works in California or North Carolina, etc.

A lot of that (tenure, yearly raises, Cadillac insurance) is going away. Any red state or even a blue state with a Republican governor no longer has tenure or longevity. It is still possible to get a decent salary with advanced degrees and extracurriculars, though.

While you are getting a lot of good advice and info in this thread, I would really suggest talking to a counselor/adviser at a college you are looking at possibly attending. They can give you more information about the degrees and the certification process in your state. Why I say that is because the certification process is different from state to state, so while I could tell you how things work in michigan, that isn't necessarily how it works in California or North Carolina, etc.

Yeah, I'm still going to talk to a counselor but I just wanted to do some research on my own to be a bit knowledgable and know exactly what to ask etc. I've asked my previous teachers and they told me I can teach history with a political science degree but now I know that they probably have no idea what they're talking about so I'm going to discuss this with my counselor on Thursday.

Back