ANY Gyms in the Upper Michigan?

Lifebleeder

White Belt
Reaction score
Alright so a little bit about me first. I took TKD in highschool for about three years. It was pretty good, but lack of community interest made the school shut down. At 22 (I'm 23 now.) I joined the National Guard. The army's modern combatives is BJJ, and I liked it, I liked it a lot. Problem is when I got home. So here's the deal. I went on Fight Finder, and the forum to look for a decent school that was close. I came up empty. The two closest facilities I found are:

Warriors Way: 7 Hour trip, one way.
Fox Valley Grappling Club: 4.5 Hour trip, one way.

I live in a little place in Upper Michigan called Ishpeming. Now I have found 1 or 2 mcdojos around the area but I mean, if I can't find anything should I even bother going to these places, or just train myself? I have a decent gym downstairs, power rack w/pullup bar, bench, 5lb - 50lb dumbbells, heavy bag, speed bag. I would obviously need to get a mat. Getting partners wouldn't be to hard.

But I don't want to train myself to do sloppy half assed garbage either. Am I just totally screwed?

So if anyone knows of a good place not extremely far away, if they could post it that would be AWESOME. I'm not against driving 1 or 2 hours one way. But 4 is just way to much. If not, what could I do for myself? I know some BJJ basics, we were lucky enough to have a top ranked Army Combatives BJJ fighter teach us while I was in Georgia for training, and I know technique and proper execution is everything.

Good luck, my family was raised up there and I've visited so many times you might as well call me a Yooper. Not much going on up there, you may have to bite the bullet and McDojo it, or check out Northern U or Lake Superior State U and see whats going on around there.

Yea, you're probably right. It's sad though, considering the Olympic Education Center is literally right here, you would think there would be something.

Another thing you can do is try to start your own club among the other servicemen. Granted its going to be a teach yourself type of thing, but thats were vids and books can help.

Its not hard to find a bunch of military guys who want to kick the crap out of each other.

Trust me I know.

USCG sends...

Back