1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Any good schools in/around the Mount Vernon area of Baltimore, MD?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Scythe, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Scythe

Scythe Brown Belt

I've moved recently and was thinking of getting back into it but I haven't really found any nearby schools with simple searches. Nearest school I've found is Ground Control but I'd have to take 2 buses to get there which is a major hassle with work and all.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Shinedown88

Shinedown88 Orange Belt

3. Scythe

Scythe Brown Belt

I live a block away from the Washington Monument. Buses near me (as far as I know) are the 3, 11, 61, 64, and Purple route. I'm also relatively near the light rail and the metro.

That looks like they really have what I want too, but I'm not sure how reachable it is.

4. DirtyCrabcakes

DirtyCrabcakes Orange Belt

The tattoo shop I go to is in Mt. Vernon (Read Street Tattoo). One of the artists there trains at Baltimore BJJ. He seems like a good guy, but I don't know much about the school itself.

I train at 88 and I like it there. It may be a bit of hike for you - I would guess about 25 minutes w/o traffic (by car). I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to get there by bus.

5. DutchMafia

DutchMafia Orange Belt

If you don't have a car you're out of luck. Ground Control is on the southeast side and Baltimore BJJ is on the north eastern side. That's just about it.

6. dr.feelgood

dr.feelgood Green Belt

50/50 BJJ(ryan hall's gym) is pretty close on the metro.

edit: disregard this, i just read mount vernon and thought you meant dc, not md. my bad.

7. Kenny from MD

Kenny from MD Less angry than before.

Are you a MICA student? I used to live in Charles Village, in which case I would have driven you to Baltimore BJJ.. but now I live in Brazil/DC and am with 5050. I would suggest giving Lee from Baltimore BJJ an email ([email protected]) and seeing if there is anyone in the area that could give you a ride or lives in the city that you could carpool with. When I trained there, there was another student living in Charles Village, and one in Greektown. If not, there is a gym that used to be open that was walking distance from MICA, called Team Raw Dawg but it is essentially an open mat with no real jiu jitsu instruction in a big empty warehouse.

8. Scythe

Scythe Brown Belt

Not a MICA student. Thanks for the suggestions, I might email him and see if it's possible another student would be coming at times also available to me.

9. DirtyCrabcakes

DirtyCrabcakes Orange Belt

You should walk into Read Street Tattoo and just scream out "WHICH ONE OF YOU MOTHER FUCKERS TRAINS AT BALTIMORE BJJ?!?!?!?!?"

Then when he admits to it, just be like "OK cool. Can I get a ride?" :icon_twis