Any good movies about the revolutionary war?

The Headless Horseman from Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow was a Hessian mercenary who fought in the Revolutionary War.

I am also perplexed Hollywood has never made a premium war movie about the Revolutionary War other than The Patriot (2000).

In my opinion Dances With Wolves (1990), Glory (1989), and Gods & Generals (2003) were all technically better movies, set within the U.S. Civil War time period. The reason I did not allude to Gettysburg (1993) above was I just could not get past those hokey battle scenes. It was one of those type of documentaries you should only see once.

It's weird that Hollywood has never really touched the Revolutionary War.
And aside from a Period between 1918 - 1938 WW1 hasnt been too popular as a subject either

The Patriot's fun but certainly wholly inaccurate.

Two problems

1. Washington was the richest man in the colonies before the war was even an idea nobody thought Washington was in the war to make money he probably lost money not tending to his estate for so long.

2. The French more universally hated the English than the colonies did. Something like 25-33% of Americans were loyalists during the conflict while the french engaged in like 12 wars with the English within a few decades of the Revolution. Ever hear of Waterloo that's like the British armies proudest achievement and Trafalgar is pretty much universally the UK's favorite wartime moment both were utter drubbings of the French. Nothing a french man likes doing better than killing an Englishman in the 18th century and the same in reverse. Also the French and Indian war had the french itching for revenge right at the time of the revolution.

Both 19th century battles well after the Revolutionary War in America, though, you're sort of right, and you bring up the always interesting number claims of loyalists vs. revolutionaries (vs. those who were ambivalent).

Everyone knows the HBO miniseries, but here was an earlier one by the A&E that was surprisingly good:

MV5BMTM3NTg4ODEwMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDY2MDEyMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR6,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

I have long hoped that someone would discover a lost reel of the following film (similar to how The Passion of Joan of Arc was rediscovered):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spirit_of_'76_(1917_film)
Learned about that one in college from an adjunct professor. Read the Wiki. The poor director was like a victim of McCarthyism before McCarthyism.

You know, some of the best "films" I saw about the revolutionary war were made by the British as educational films. They maintained loose fictional narratives, but the emphasis was on reproducing the conditions of a particular setting with strict historical accuracy (ex. serving in the underbelly of a Naval warship during that time). These were shown to us back in middle school and high school. Unfortunately, I can't figure out where to find them. I'd have to email some old teachers.

You know, some of the best "films" I saw about the revolutionary war were made by the British as educational films. They maintained loose fictional narratives, but the emphasis was on reproducing the conditions of a particular setting with strict historical accuracy (ex. serving in the underbelly of a Naval warship during that time). These were shown to us back in middle school and high school. Unfortunately, I can't figure out where to find them. I'd have to email some old teachers.

Let me know if you find them.

Revolution wasn't too bad if you can get past Pacino being miscast and a few cheesy moments. But visually it's interesting to see the time period.

Not a movie but I recommend you should check out AMC's TURN: WASHINGTON SPIES. Underrated series. Fantastic characters. Season 1 is pretty good but the show really becomes more awesome on season 2.

28re6ft.jpg

[YT]DbLCHaVqkL4[/YT]

[YT]zeMEWub6wEk[/YT]

Another slept on gem. I don't know why people lose their minds over Walking Dead yet Turn and Hell on Wheels seem to have almost zero following.

I am also perplexed Hollywood has never made a premium war movie about the Revolutionary War other than The Patriot (2000).

In my opinion Dances With Wolves (1990), Glory (1989), and Gods & Generals (2003) were all technically better movies, set within the U.S. Civil War time period. The reason I did not allude to Gettysburg (1993) above was I just could not get past those hokey battle scenes. It was one of those type of documentaries you should only see once.

The Revelutionary War was a war of secession.

You can't think of why the dimwit Washington DC nuthuggers in Hollywood won't glorify the antithesis to their whole outlook on national government?

It doesn't take much imagination to see why.

The Revelutionary War was a war of secession.

You can't think of why the dimwit Washington DC nuthuggers in Hollywood won't glorify the antithesis to their whole outlook on national government?

It doesn't take much imagination to see why.

I know exactly what the events of the Revolution were about. I even took a course covering it in college. But I am sure this all sounded better in your head.

John Adams should be required viewing for everyone. A few things to point out; the first episode is a bit slow IMO. Stick with it, the series just gets pogressively better. stannis baratheon plays Jefferson and he is absolutely outstanding. Love the interplay between him and Hamilton. Also understand it's an Adams biopic. He served as a diplomat and congressman during the war so there is very little actual combat depicted, but that's not a detriment.

Last edited:
Back