Any good movies about the revolutionary war?

fortheo

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
All I can think of is The Patriot with Mel Gibson, which was alright, but not really something I feel like watching again. Any one know any good movies that take place during the revolutionary war?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sadly, there aren't really a whole lot of films on the subject. Most of the films made about that period are pretty old.

Jon Adams- HBO Mini series is the Best you will find

I liked Revolution (1985), but it was destroyed by critics and it almost killed the entire British film industry and Pacino's career. It probably isn't historically correct either. But I liked it more than The Patriot.

It would be neat to write one about a resentful French solider who was sent to help the Americans.

"My brother died to make George Washington rich. Why fight for a bunch of Brits who hate their King? It's not our war. It was never our war."

It would be neat to write one about a resentful French solider who was sent to help the Americans.

"My brother died to make George Washington rich. Why fight for a bunch of Brits who hate their King? It's not our war. It was never our war."

I like it!

The weird thing to me is that there is no biopic about George Washington. It can't be overstated that he was an absolute boss of a human being- and universally considered one of the best presidents our country had. He's got an incredibly interesting life story but I guess because he's such a towering historical figure the film industry has been sort of hesitant to touch him...but in reality that doesn't make sense as Lincoln, for instance, has had multiple films about him over the years.

The whole revolutionary and post-revolutionary period doesn't seem to get its due when it comes to movies, at least in the past thirty plus years. For example, I've always found a lot of the buildup to and then the actual War of 1812 fascinating. You have William Henry Harrison in Indiana fighting against Native American chief Tecumseh and his brother "The Prophet." Wins a major battle at Tippecanoe which ends up making him a national hero, but in reality sort of backfires by galvanizing the Shawnee to join up with Brits in War of 1812 a year later.

I just feel there are so many intriguing things from that era that would make great films or HBO type series.

Personally, I hated the Patriot.

To me, it's entertaining crap. Over the top, schmaltzy, no subtlety to it, but enjoyable for the most part. I think Emmerich, at his best makes entertaining crap. At his worst, well, that's another story.

I liked Revolution (1985), but it was destroyed by critics and it almost killed the entire British film industry and Pacino's career. It probably isn't historically correct either. But I liked it more than The Patriot.

Never saw it but was always curious. I know the hit Pacinos career took there though ended up setting up his awesome comeback in Sea of Love a few years later. That was really the onset of the modern, angry, yelling, cigarette-induced raspy voice Pacino.

All I can think of is The Patriot with Mel Gibson, which was alright, but not really something I feel like watching again. Any one know any other good movies that take place during the revolutionary war?

Thanks.

Not a movie but I recommend you should check out AMC's TURN: WASHINGTON SPIES. Underrated series. Fantastic characters. Season 1 is pretty good but the show really becomes more awesome on season 2.

28re6ft.jpg

[YT]DbLCHaVqkL4[/YT]

[YT]zeMEWub6wEk[/YT]

Two problems

1. Washington was the richest man in the colonies before the war was even an idea nobody thought Washington was in the war to make money he probably lost money not tending to his estate for so long.

2. The French more universally hated the English than the colonies did. Something like 25-33% of Americans were loyalists during the conflict while the french engaged in like 12 wars with the English within a few decades of the Revolution. Ever hear of Waterloo that's like the British armies proudest achievement and Trafalgar is pretty much universally the UK's favorite wartime moment both were utter drubbings of the French. Nothing a french man likes doing better than killing an Englishman in the 18th century and the same in reverse. Also the French and Indian war had the french itching for revenge right at the time of the revolution.

Don't know about films, but the amc series "turn" is somewhat entertaining.

The Patriot was pretty lame but i do mark out when i see Mel Gibson go ape shit with the axe.

Back