1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Any good drills for short muay thai fighters to fight off angles?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by MMouse, Nov 2, 2010.

1. MMouse

MMouse Now you enter...the shredder Banned

Being 5'2'', I'm finding it difficult to fight off angles. I'm not sure whether I should stay in front of my opponent and angle off from one of his weapons and attack from there, or should I just be constantly moving and attack?

Any advice w/ pads or heavy bag or sparring partner would be great. If anyone can even link short muay thai fighters notable for fighting off angles/ in an out. Definately would like to see that as well.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. ericj7590

ericj7590 Orange Belt

Dude hang upside down 10 minutes a night. Also try attaching all your limbs to a stretching device and see if that works.

3. Pathogenic

Pathogenic Wo Cao Ni Ma

As someone who is relatively short (5'8"), I laughed hysterically at this.

4. MMouse

MMouse Now you enter...the shredder Banned

lol come on guys

5. MisterT

MisterT Brown Belt

Try working some boxing drills with a slip line.

Also, practice slipping side to side and punching off of it. So as you're moving your head back to the center line after slipping to the right, throw a right hand, or as you're moving back to the center after slipping to teh left, throw a jab or a hook.

Another drill that my coach makes us do is, he'll throw the jab at me and he'll have me slip the punch and counter. After doing this for a couple of rounds, he'll have me slip, circle off to one side, and then counter. Its a great drill for getting your footwork down and gives you a good understanding on how angles work.

Slipping punches and working angles takes a while to learn. I remember that I had problems with it too when I first started. Just practice, work on the drills, and eventually you'll get more comfortable with it.