Any fighters who continued the lineage of the Joe Louis style?

Not particularly related but always have thought Kostya Tszyu and Julio Cesar Chavez (mainly chavez) - GGG
Kostya Tzu ate right hands when loading his own right, Louis did a bit as well.

Nortons trainer used to spar with Joe Louis. There's the connection.

Good shout, i don't know how the f*ck that escaped me as i've been following the sport for over 30 years, lol.

Pretty impressive that Eddie could deconstruct and teach Blackburn's style as well as he could. Norton was a top fighter, but not on Louis's level obviously. Norton's big vulnerability was to hooks, iirc, a weakness i don't remember in Louis. Or maybe its just that Louis never faced any genuinely great hookers.

I really enjoy looking at a "family tree" of boxing styles. Example:

Hank Armstrong - joe frazier - dwight m quawi

Joe Walcott - muhammad ali etc

Cus D - torres Patterson Mathis sr. And jr mike tyson

Archie moores style melted into guys like Foreman who also used some Sandy Saddler techniques.

Of course, the Tall Euro style and Cuban style. Soviet Style imo is its own thing.

But Joe Louis....cant think of anyone who was able to fight like that afterward. Who is the closest?
I haven't seen any who punch like Joe, he was a one of a kind. His jab was very short, all his punches were short. He never looped anything like most fighters. He also had his own bodymechanics, whether that was chappie or not, i don't know. Some have called that style "pivot punching" others like Manny Stewart just said he punched with full body weight. I think the older fighters did tend to punch with their bodies more, after the fifties, most fighters threw punches like a whip, with shoulder snap and the bodymechanics we are used to today. Ali's right hand is a great example, he would twist into it but his arm was the last thing to move, his shoulder would snap and that right hand would shoot out. I think I've seen fighters throw right hands with "ful body weight" but not really anything else. The boxer/actor, Coley Wallace, who played Louis in the movie obviously patterned his whole style off of Joe, but I can't think of any others.

I haven't seen any who punch like Joe, he was a one of a kind. His jab was very short, all his punches were short. He never looped anything like most fighters. He also had his own bodymechanics, whether that was chappie or not, i don't know. Some have called that style "pivot punching" others like Manny Stewart just said he punched with full body weight. I think the older fighters did tend to punch with their bodies more, after the fifties, most fighters threw punches like a whip, with shoulder snap and the bodymechanics we are used to today. Ali's right hand is a great example, he would twist into it but his arm was the last thing to move, his shoulder would snap and that right hand would shoot out. I think I've seen fighters throw right hands with "ful body weight" but not really anything else. The boxer/actor, Coley Wallace, who played Louis in the movie obviously patterned his whole style off of Joe, but I can't think of any others.
What about Bob Foster for a guy who was very long he punched without extending his arms much at all on hooks or right hands.

What about Bob Foster for a guy who was very long he punched without extending his arms much at all on hooks or right hands.
could be, i'd have to look at him a bit more, I've never watched a lot of foster.

I think there's a little Louis in Toney. Not tons. Both had real efficient footwork and favored the same angles and right hands. Toney bends under left hands in a way that reminds me a little of Louis, too.

Not the same style but there's a little something there.

I think there's a little Louis in Toney. Not tons. Both had real efficient footwork and favored the same angles and right hands. Toney bends under left hands in a way that reminds me a little of Louis, too.

Not the same style but there's a little something there.
both definitely were what Angie Dundee called "two stepper's" they would come in and then punch, a problem against slick boxers who move before you can start throwing. but joe was more textbook sound and toney did a lot more rolling and rocking with his hands low.

both definitely were what Angie Dundee called "two stepper's" they would come in and then punch, a problem against slick boxers who move before you can start throwing. but joe was more textbook sound and toney did a lot more rolling and rocking with his hands low.

And you'll never see two guys with more of their weight more over their right feet.

And you'll never see two guys with more of their weight more over their right feet.
that's true, joe has a book where he said to throw the left hook by leaning on the right foot, that had me puzzled but being the curious guy I am i worked on it until i could feel the power in it. totally opposite of how i'd been doing it for years and how most of my other heroes did it. Joe was really something, some would say greatest heavyweight ever.

that's true, joe has a book where he said to throw the left hook by leaning on the right foot, that had me puzzled but being the curious guy I am i worked on it until i could feel the power in it. totally opposite of how i'd been doing it for years and how most of my other heroes did it. Joe was really something, some would say greatest heavyweight ever.
Leaning forward on it or back?

Leaning forward on it or back?
leaning back on the right foot and pulling the left hook towards it, nothing like i'd ever done before, it took some work, and confusion before I could see what he was doing.

leaning back on the right foot and pulling the left hook towards it, nothing like i'd ever done before, it took some work, and confusion before I could see what he was doing.

That sounds like the Roy Jones fadeaway hook, so good at it he based his whole style on it.

And what's the book?

That sounds like the Roy Jones fadeaway hook, so good at it he based his whole style on it.

And what's the book?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7931918-joe-louis-how-to-box

ironic, there's a pic of him lacing his opponent on the cover. Roy, I guess threw his left hook like that a lot, come to think of it, but more often than not he'd do that leaping in thing with it. That particular hook, I never tried to throw in combination, it seems to throw the rest of the punches off but I could see how it could work, just like I can see just how much torque joe and other older fighters could generate in their punches. Jack Dempsey was on a show with Joe and they were comparing styles, Jack looked like he was using even more body in his right hand than joe did, it doesn't look right today but that doesn't mean it didn't work. The boxers i grew up on generated power throughout the body, like a chain whipping, not like a whole block.

Old boxing books didn't mess around with their names.

I think it's easy for people to forget how much Roy backed up throwing the fadeaway, I really think it was his best punch.

Old boxing books didn't mess around with their names.

I think it's easy for people to forget how much Roy backed up throwing the fadeaway, I really think it was his best punch.
you mean the one where he waits for his opponent to miss as he turns his head away and then throws the hook right?

Kind of, he leans forward to make them throw the right hand, then pulls his head backwards and throws the hook as a counter. It's near the start of this video:

Back