Any fighters who continued the lineage of the Joe Louis style?

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I really enjoy looking at a "family tree" of boxing styles. Example:

Hank Armstrong - joe frazier - dwight m quawi

Joe Walcott - muhammad ali etc

Cus D - torres Patterson Mathis sr. And jr mike tyson

Archie moores style melted into guys like Foreman who also used some Sandy Saddler techniques.

Of course, the Tall Euro style and Cuban style. Soviet Style imo is its own thing.

But Joe Louis....cant think of anyone who was able to fight like that afterward. Who is the closest?

the kronk style always seemed heavily influenced by joe louis to me

The way Freddie Little moved (not fleed footed at all) and the way he jabbed was similar to Joe Louis. And also the way he delivered knockouts... No hectic rush, no wild haymakers, technical, clean counter punching:

An overlooked boxer, btw.

Last edited:
I'd put Walcott closer to Willie Pep than Ali...i don't follow that comparison

Interesting. I don't see the Pep comparison
I think all 3 are different.

Ali didn't do the weird awkward shit that Walcott did....and Pep had an actual system of footwork

I think all 3 are different.

Ali didn't do the weird awkward shit that Walcott did....and Pep had an actual system of footwork

Ali stole his shuffle

Archie moores style melted into guys like Foreman who also used some Sandy Saddler techniques.

Of course, the Tall Euro style and Cuban style. Soviet Style imo is its own thing.

But Joe Louis....cant think of anyone who was able to fight like that afterward. Who is the closest?
Not particularly related but always have thought Kostya Tszyu and Julio Cesar Chavez (mainly chavez) - GGG

Not particularly related but always have thought Kostya Tszyu and Julio Cesar Chavez (mainly chavez) - GGG

Nice add.

Both Kosta and GGG are both half 'russian' half Asian.

What's up? Busy?
Sort of long time, no see in these parts for you for a while, now.

Quite busy. I keep up my YouTube channel and a thread in the stand-up technique section about my gym

None that i can think of, tbh, at heavyweight or any other weight-class. His ability to fight off the center-line as a default while also having an effective jab and immaculate right hand is just about a lost art. And Louis' right hand is undoubtedly the most economical and responsible right hand in the history of the division, even if any number of modern HW's have surpassed its power. He's as responsible a big puncher as there's ever been. The more i think about it the more i'm inclined to say he has no successor, at any weight, much less heavyweight.

The way Freddie Little moved (not fleed footed at all) and the way he jabbed was similar to Joe Louis. And also the way he delivered knockouts... No hectic rush, no wild haymakers, technical, clean counter punching:

An overlooked boxer, btw.

Good shout, but not really like Louis. He didn't fight out of the crouch, blackburn if you will, and didn't use the rear hand to parry like Joe did.

Since you got me thinking, lol, i tried my best and the only guy i could think of who even remotely fit the bill was Ken Norton, but without the cross armed defense since i don't believe Louis used it. Norton fought out of a kinda bootlegged version of the Blackburn crouch and similar to Louis was pretty good at using his rear hand to block and parry his opponents lead hand, a skill that's woefully underutilized in boxing today.

Good shout, but not really like Louis. He didn't fight out of the crouch, blackburn if you will, and didn't use the rear hand to parry like Joe did.

Since you got me thinking, lol, i tried my best and the only guy i could think of who even remotely fit the bill was Ken Norton, but without the cross armed defense since i don't believe Louis used it. Norton fought out of a kinda bootlegged version of the Blackburn crouch and similar to Louis was pretty good at using his rear hand to block and parry his opponents lead hand, a skill that's woefully underutilized in boxing today.

Nortons trainer used to spar with Joe Louis. There's the connection.

Back