Any Dirty Heads fans here?

arrmike

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I don't past too much anymore but lurk from time to time in Mayberry.

Any Dirty Heads fans?

I'd so I'll give a review of their new album that isn't released yet. It's good. ... But if you're a fan of theirs it is different than their other stuff.

Mr-clean.jpg

I'll check 'em out. Never heard of 'em. If I like 'em then change the Mr. Clean to a brofist. Works either way.

I'm fan of head and being dirty, I will check them out

I guess I should describe them then. From huntington beach oc. Hip hop, reggae, acoustic kind of all mixed up. Biggest influence is sublime.

I know a lot of fighters are fans. Urijah, guida, gray Maynard have all hung out with them.

YES i am a fan can you please review the album

OK, here is my review of Sound of Change, out July 8. Review intended for a Dirty Head fan, so I don't go on and on about how great it is.

First off, as the title "Sound of Change" would have you believe, the album is a departure from some of their recent work. In reality, their earliest demos and ep's showcased a lot of styles, and their studio albums haven't necessarily grown in all the directions they are capable of. I feel like this album makes sense based on the diversity of their early work, combined with how their more recent albums were more acoustic/reggae. They swing back to more hiphop and more production on this album.

The songs released so far have gotten spirited but polarized response. 80% or so saying it's their strongest stuff yet, 20% saying it sucks and they've sold out.

To be honest, it's their most complex album. WIth more production on top of that. A couple of pop sounding songs. But in reality, they still defy a single genre and as such aren't likely to be a huge commercial success. They'll probably sell more copies and get more radioplay, but they have NOT sold out. They simply aren't trying to be formulaic.

If you like the band, then you get an idea for how "different" it is by checking a track-by-track review. I'm not intending the song descriptions to indicate if the album is "good" or not. More to get a glimpse into what sounds to expect.

It is definitely a great album. I've had it on repeat in my car for several weeks.

1- Sound of Change. This song is now on itunes. While the sentiment of the song might reflect the theme of the album, and the sound might indicate a departure from their regular sound, don't think that the rest of the album sounds like this song. This is the biggest, most sweeping track on the album. The guys in the band really love this one. I think it probably expresses their feelings right now, as well as celbrates their decision to add a much more produced sound to most of the tracks on the album.

[YT]XWEcj49zml4[/YT]
2- My Sweet Summer. Awesome song. Sure the chorus is pretty electronic, but it's pretty consistent with their genre. It's on radio right now.

[YT]vG-gj__M4xQ[/YT]
3- Medusa. The first of the harder hip-hop tracks. At first listen, it is really dominated by the pretty simple bass line, but there are layers of percussion going on with the treble and bass. Also indicative of the more predominant drug references on this album. 3rd verse by Ward21.

4- Burn Slow. The second hip-hop track. Probably the most anticipated, as it includes a verse by Tech N9ne. Again, more electronic than most of their older stuff, but upon more and more listens, what sounds pretty simple on the surface is more complex layered. In the same way that their signature sound is formed in some way by unconventional use of percussion, they don't use the electronic bass/treble mix the way others do. At first listen, the autotune chorus is reminiscent of .....Akon...? But honestly this is one of the best (catchy but also good longevity) tracks on the album. Also features the best guest verse of the album.

5- Franco Eyed. While it seems like a small deviation from the last 2 songs, this song in particular harkens back to the mix of rap/chorus of earlier stuff like the Dirty Demo days. If you hadn't listened to Dirty Heads since Any Port in a Storm, this is probably what you'd expect them to sound like. B-Real (Cyprus Hill) brings the track home.

At this point on your first listen, you've probably decided they've gone full hip-hop. Not so....

6- End of the World. A love song. Nuff said. Not a bad song, but a bit COldplay for my tastes.

7- One Hand. A mid-tempo sweeping alternative rock song. More Coldplay style. Probably the most ambitious vocals from Jared from any track they've ever recorded. Still they make it their own. Although I might desribe it briefly, there isn't a song on the album that is simple.

8- Radio. If you're looking for chill reggae vibe, this is your song. It's actually one of the best tracks on the album, not just because it sounds more like their older stuff, but pretty cool lyrics about fans thinking they know artists. It dwells on the vulnerable side of musicians.

9- Burials- focused around an Abyssynian's sample, this is a pretty cool roots/rock/reggae song. Great harmonies from the sample, and a great contrast to the first half of the CD.

10- Hear You Coming. An odd song. Mid-tempo with rapped verses, and a sampled chorus that gives the song and oldies vibe. Not the best song on the album, rapped verses seem a little lazy, and not the most exciting rhythm.

Now for 3 bonus tracks.

11- Silence. Some electric guitar, darker sound, much harder vibe with the music. Fine for a bonus track.

12- Dark Days. An acoustic some featuring Duddy. Simple, likeable song. Could have been on an early demo to be honest.

13- Running for Your Life. Upbeat pop song. Rihanna impersonator singing the chorus.

Their first alum was kickass. Maybe the new stuff will grow on me.

Their first alum was kickass. Maybe the new stuff will grow on me.

It's definitely the kind of album that develops with more listens. At first, the new production is a little distracting, but over time the songs really are more layered than they appear at first listen.

Back