any difference between judo gi and jiu jitsu gi???

Yeah bjj gis are generally cut tighter. So tightly that'd be illegal in most judo competitions. WHat is legal in terms of a judo gi is quite strictly defined in the rules. The bjj rules that i've seen don't really seem to mention anything about gi standards.

It is mentioned in the CBJJ rule book that your Gi must be a certain length, but they never enforce it unless someone complains about it.

You can use a Judo gi in BJJ, but most BJJ gi's will get you disqualified in a Judo comp. Judo gis are bigger and heavier. A BJJ gi is cut tighter and is usually lighter than a judo gi. No other big differences as far as I know....

Judo gis are cheaper but the cut gives your opponenet more fabric to use in BJJ.

I find BJJ gis are better constructed especially in the knees and butt section where they are double reinforced

And the prices too. Judo Gi are cheaper while BJJ Gi are expensive.

loui_ludwig said:
And the prices too. Judo Gi are cheaper while BJJ Gi are expensive.

Not always, I know someone who spent

Commissar said:
You get what you pay for.

Actually, more a case of simple economics/supply and demand. Until recently, BJJ was relatively unknown and had a smaller consumer base, while judo has a huge inter/national pool of people buying equipment. Howard Liu of HCK said much the same thing about the difference in gi's back in the day. He went into business because he thought there was a market for BJJ gi's with judo gi quality (i believe the specific brand he mentioned as high quality was Mizuno).

I use a Koral BJJ gi for both BJJ & Judo. The gi is a little more form fitting than my old judogi, but would probably still meet judo comp standards. It's just so much more comforatble & easier to move in, while just as strong.

Judo Gis are expensive as hell if you get real ones- like Mizuno, kuSakura, or Adidas. They run 150-200.

My KuSakura Judo cost me $200. I have had it as my primary for about 6 years now. Just now starting to tear, and I practice a lot.

by the way, if you intend to do BJJ, get a Gi that isn't tight. You BJJ guys are too easy to throw around when you have a tight gi and no-standup skills.

The looser the Gi, the harder it is to throw you.

tequilaman said:
Judo Gis are expensive as hell if you get real ones- like Mizuno, kuSakura, or Adidas. They run 150-200.

My KuSakura Judo cost me $200. I have had it as my primary for about 6 years now. Just now starting to tear, and I practice a lot.

by the way, if you intend to do BJJ, get a Gi that isn't tight. You BJJ guys are too easy to throw around when you have a tight gi and no-standup skills.

I would think the opposite is true

tequilaman said:

You judo guys are too easy to destroy on the ground.

Weonlywonsixtwo said:
You judo guys are too easy to destroy on the ground.

YMCA Judo guys are too easy to destroy on the ground. I am no YMCA Judo guy.

I trained in Japan for 3 years. I got my BJJ blue in 6 months, and was state champ in less than a year. I also was a state tourney placer in wrestling though.

I just send them my state championship in BJJ Blue in Florida link.

http://www.floridajiujitsufed.com/2002FSCResults.htm

Blue Light 1st Place---

Judo sucks! Har!!!

infamous mattyd said:
I would think the opposite is true

The tighter the GI (less space one's body has to shift within the Gi) the easier it is to throw someone.

If you have a baggy Gi, it is harder to throw you. That is why national level tourney's in Judo they are very strict about this type of thing. People try to wear loose Gis.

Conversely, if your Gi is too loose on the ground, you leave yourself open for chokes and your opponent has "bigger handles" to hold onto.

I have a judo gi and a BJJ gi.
With the judo gi, I get crushed on the ground because there's more material to choke me with.
With the BJJ gi, my training partners have a much easier time throwing me from standup because of less slack in the material.

But I still wear both anyway...

Yeah, but the tighter the gi - the easier it is to bust off grips and the harder it is to reach for & get a grip. Nothing worse than trying to grip a tight, stiff gi.

Its a matter of preference. So far I prefer a tight stiff gi - I use a Mizuno Eurocomp for competition.

Back