Any current or former Minor league baseball players here?

originally I thought this whole thread was about how TS could go from being a joe nobody to being a baseball pro. Hitting from a machine isn't the same thing as hitting from a real pitcher. Arm paths, release points, they all change pitcher to pitcher and are things a machine can't replicate.

That's true. Although looking at some modern machines it looks like some try to give the hitter a more realistic view by using an arm on the machine rather than just the two spinning wheels like the old days. The machine could still be very useful in regards to timing, identifying/recognition, comfort level, etc., etc. But yeah, there's nothing better than having to face the real thing.

thanks man I'll freely admit I'm one of those "Dads" that's grooming his son to be a baseball prospect.

I think there might be some talent there. but he's only 6 we've been at it now for over two full years. I always get compliments from other dads in his lil league about how he's a "natural" and how good he is.

the thing is, I spend a ridiculous amount of time on batting, throwing, and catching like two to some times three hours per day. he enjoys batting, his throwing is so so his catching is legit good.

I'm asking because I don't know if I can keep up this pace for the next 12 years to try and make him a prospect.

I've already essentially stopped going to my BJJ class and it's only been a couple of years and I'm getting burned out because of the time I've invested in making him I guess "good" compared to other 6 and 7 year olds that are out there goofing around, still cant catch and need the Tee to hit.

I met Pete Rose a couple years back and though he looked tired instead of asking for a pic I asked him for any advice in making a "hitter". he said to throw at overhanded from the start.

so I've been doing all these slow to medium speed over hand pitches for two years damn near three hours per day and I think I'm getting tommy johns lol. seriously it's wearing me down just the time of it .

is two to three hours even normal at this age. I've read the whole 10,000 hours of practice philosophy that lyoto Machida talks about and am trying to do it to make my boy a prospect.

what's your thoughts? criticism is welcomed.

6KMCOsh.gif

Look, practice with the kid every other day, it's going to help. But 2-3 hrs a day? Cmon man. It's awesome you're involved, that's the best thing, but reality is, once HS hits, kids develop a ton, both mentally and physically. Some kids who are stars not won't be jack in HS and vice versa.

Just don't burn him out. Keep the involvement though, it's what I do with my daughter and with my son very soon. I got her pitching lessons for softball and we practice in the backyard or nearby park every other day for about a hour, she's 9. Some coaches want her throwing every day, she's already one of the top pitchers for her age in her league, I won't burn her out.

Good stuff. Hitting off a tee is useful at every single level. Just look at this guy:

tony_tee.jpg

I was literally shocked the other day when Kemp hit for the cycle and was the first SD player to do so... with Tony fucking Gwynn playing lights out for years with the Padres. Although, Gwynn was not the fastest dude, but he still lit up some triples.

6KMCOsh.gif

Look, practice with the kid every other day, it's going to help. But 2-3 hrs a day? Cmon man. It's awesome you're involved, that's the best thing, but reality is, once HS hits, kids develop a ton, both mentally and physically. Some kids who are stars not won't be jack in HS and vice versa.

Just don't burn him out. Keep the involvement though, it's what I do with my daughter and with my son very soon. I got her pitching lessons for softball and we practice in the backyard or nearby park every other day for about a hour, she's 9. Some coaches want her throwing every day, she's already one of the top pitchers for her age in her league, I won't burn her out.
My 8 yr old, I can't get an hour. Some days I get 10 min. On a good day he will practice for 30 with dad. Now with another adult, he will go an hour. So I just try to make it fun and quick for him. He likes the games better.

My 8 yr old, I can't get an hour. Some days I get 10 min. On a good day he will practice for 30 with dad. Now with another adult, he will go an hour. So I just try to make it fun and quick for him. He likes the games better.

Oh believe me there are days I have to kind of force her to pay attention. They're still young kids and just want to play. However she's finally understanding that putting in 1 hr work will make her better and she can play after. I'm hoping this mentality translates to everything in her future with the "get the work done and complete first" idea.

I was literally shocked the other day when Kemp hit for the cycle and was the first SD player to do so... with Tony fucking Gwynn playing lights out for years with the Padres. Although, Gwynn was not the fastest dude, but he still lit up some triples.

Yeah, pretty crazy someone with that much skill as a hitter never hit for the cycle. I think it's because he didn't hit for power at all. Near the end he tried to hit more jacks but out of his 3,100+ hits only 135 of them were homers. Crazy.

Jack, have your kid play other sports and take up other activities besides baseball. Lorenzo Cain did not play organized baseball until his 10th grade year in high school. JJ Watt is a huge advocate of kids playing other sports and not specializing in a specific sport at such a young age. Either way, good luck with training your child, but remember burn out is a very real thing in sports.

damn that's amazing:eek: tbh.

and thanks for the kind words bro:p.

originally I thought this whole thread was about how TS could go from being a joe nobody to being a baseball pro. Hitting from a machine isn't the same thing as hitting from a real pitcher. Arm paths, release points, they all change pitcher to pitcher and are things a machine can't replicate.

I take great umbrage with you referring to my possible MLB aspirations a a "Joe nobody" i'LL have you know sir in the immortal words of the good reverend Jesse Jackson "I AM....SOMEBODY!!:mad:"

as far as pitching to my son I thin Pete Rose's advice is very similar to how Cuban, and Dominican players are trained with the bottle cap thing and overhand throwing at these guys as soon as they start walking lol.

Pete's gambling woes aside no one can ever take what he did on the field away. an argument can be made that Pete Rose was the best to ever do it tbh.

I am available for hitting lessons Jack depending on where you are. I slashed .182/.201/.301 for Class A Burlington Drifters. I can give you a link to my baseball reference page if you want.

How much did you play in college/high school?

6KMCOsh.gif

that's solid advice I wont try to argue your points bro.

but with baseball...... American kids are up against Dominicans and Venezuelans for MLB roster spots. and now with relations seemingly normalizing with Cuba were going to see more El Duque's and Livan Henandez's, Yasiel Puig types coming in.

I've done some research on why such a small population of men in the Dominican Republic put damn near a third of todays MLB players on the field. They practice from the time they can walk damn near every day in that good weather for hours on in.

add to that Canada, and Japanese prospects and I think if you're a dad in America you need to specialize early on there's soo many differing points and counterpoints to early sport specialization that as a dad you could go either way tbh.

but the reason why i'm specializing is two names Tiger woods and Wayne gretzky tiger was making putts at 2 years old and if memory serves he beat his dad a guy that had been playing golf at a relatively high level for decades when he was 11.

and I know I might get flamed for this. but Baseball in many regards is kinda like Golf . in that you obv don't need to be a monsta athlete in golf. And you don't really need to be a Jadeveon Clowney type super freak in Baseball.

both sports demand endless practice and repetition and even the best hitters in mlb history are lucky if they retire with a 350 batting average for their careers. and I'm talking about the guys going to Cooperstown.

Take the the quarterback position in the NFL for example. a guy like say Kordelle Stewart is ten times the athlete of a Tom Brady or Joe Flacco but who has more super bowls? Being a championship level quarterback requires a good bit of athlete, but demands great skill.

now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I got the next Honus wagner or ty cobb over here lol. i'm just trying to give him what I feel will be a competitive edge against these Dominican boys who do nothing else but Baseball.

I was only a high school level baseball player but here is my take.

It's a different skill set. For hitting you need great eyesight, you need to be able to track the ball through the pitch and judge it accurately, you need have great reflexes and reaction time. The beginning step for this is training their balance, and agility. If they have no balance, they will not clearly see where the ball is. Part of this equation is eyesight and that is God given. Although George Brett and Barry Bonds had an eye doctor that worked with them. There is an interview on George Brett's show of him and this eye doctor. 12 Major league teams hired this doctor to test and scout athletes for baseball.

I think the best route to take is to have a kid train multiple sports, and get an athletic coach to help him become the best all round athlete he can be. I have sorta done this myself with some training methods I learned. I would have them play multiple sports when they are young. I would not repetition a kid to death on hitting or throwing. That's a recipe for injuries and burnout. Because you are using the same muscles and motor patterns continuously.

I would get a knowledgeable hitting coach a few times before season just to work on any flaws in a kid's swing. My kid had an uppercut. We got a hitting coach. 3 sessions and working with me in the yard and my kid started stroking the ball and having more fun.

me and you are of similar minds on many things RS. are you going to private lessons with a former pro? they got this prime 9 academy out here in spring with Mike Stanton doing privates for 120.00 per hour:eek:.....it wont be a weekly thing but once a month i'm going to make the investment.

at 9 years old they can start the travel team thing and go for the lil league WS nand other tournaments if he's good enough i'm hoping over the next three years I can get him to an "elite" level as far as little league anyway. and bro Metro Houston is insane when it comes to little league baseball.

http://prime9community.com/instructors

me and you are of similar minds on many things RS. are you going to private lessons with a former pro? they got this prime 9 academy out here in spring with Mike Stanton doing privates for 120.00 per hour:eek:.....it wont be a weekly thing but once a month i'm going to make the investment.

at 9 years old they can start the travel team thing and go for the lil league WS nand other tournaments if he's good enough i'm hoping over the next three years I can get him to an "elite" level as far as little league anyway. and bro Metro Houston is insane when it comes to little league baseball.

Handy, I like your passion for sports and raising a child to appreciate physical activity. I hope you are pushing education and respect for adults and others on him as well. You remind me of Marv Marinovich. It is every parents dream to raise a major league center fielder or NFL QB. Most parents want better for their sons than they had for themselves.

I'm lucky that I have a former high school teammate and his dad who is a former baseball coach. They know hitting and they are very good hitting minds. It is not what they normally do for a living. But I pay them 15 bucks for a half hour to meet at a field near my home. I can't thank them enough for telling me what to do. Seriously they know their stuff. They told me what to work on to get rid of his top two major swing flaws. They had him hitting better in 1 week, and much much better after two weeks. We had to break a couple bad habits that I did not know how to correct and didn't recognize. I'm not a hitting coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back