Any current or former Minor league baseball players here?

I know Baseball isn't a sport you can just "monsta athlete" ala Jordan's failure in the minors. But what part is Talent? like a Miguel Cabrera who in my opinion not only doesn't seem athletic but actually un-athletic and out of shape.

but we know he's a first ballot hof'er that's obviously never used PEDS. so if you aren't innately "talented " in baseball can you work your way to the majors by doing endless repetitions?

Lol Mig Jord was about to play in the Majors until he decided to go back to the beautiful game. That was definitely not a failure.

in baseball can you work your way to the majors by doing endless repetitions?

No. You could practice throwing a baseball as much as you want, you're still never going to throw 90-95 mph. It's just a rare skill that these guys are born with.

No. You could practice throwing a baseball as much as you want, you're still never going to throw 90-95 mph. It's just a rare skill that these guys are born with.

thanks for the response bro. but tbh I was hoping those that know would say "yeah you can work your way on" take a guy like James Harrison I think he went undrafted from a small MAC school he got cut then worked himself into a starting roll by being a monster.

I just hope that even if somebody isn't "talented" or that athletic in baseball per se and not necessarily pitching. but just a good fielder with a solid bat. can that be crafted with the right coaching/camps/endless bat swings and reps?

If you have a weak arm, your best chance is playing first base. Get flexible and catch a shit ton of balls coming at you off the bounce.

Batting is a different story. If you don't have good hand eye coordination, don't even bother. Also, you would need to find a few pitchers who can throw with heat, and have a multitude of solid pitches to help you out.

Good luck finding those guys.

All in all, you're not making it anywhere if you're only starting now. Hard work your whole life trying to go pro? Probably still wouldn't make it anywhere.

All in all, you're not making it anywhere if you're only starting now. Hard work your whole life trying to go pro? Probably still wouldn't make it anywhere.

Aren't you the same guy that tried to discredit Team Handball? I believe you said you could make it as Pro Team Handball player even though you had not played since high school. Are you on a Pro Team Handball team in Europe yet?

If you have a weak arm, your best chance is playing first base. Get flexible and catch a shit ton of balls coming at you off the bounce.

Batting is a different story. If you don't have good hand eye coordination, don't even bother. Also, you would need to find a few pitchers who can throw with heat, and have a multitude of solid pitches to help you out.

Good luck finding those guys.

so Baseball talent is say 2/3 of ever making it? No matter how hard you work in that particular sport if there's not talent there you probably wont make it to the show huh? I think Baseball is unique in that aspect MMA,Football,Tennis,Boxing,cycling you don't have to be overly "talented" if you have great bordering on insane work ethic.

Aren't you the same guy that tried to discredit Team Handball? I believe you said you could make it as Pro Team Handball player even though you had not played since high school. Are you on a Pro Team Handball team in Europe yet?

Are you trying to compare handball, to Major League Baseball?

If I wanted to waste 3 months of my life, I would be on a pro handball team no problem. Benefits of being a high level athlete.

so Baseball talent is say 2/3 of ever making it? No matter how hard you work in that particular sport if there's not talent there you probably wont make it to the show huh? I think Baseball is unique in that aspect MMA,Football,Tennis,Boxing,cycling you don't have to be overly "talented" if you have great bordering on insane work ethic.

You need to have talent but obviously it can be honed. You need to have good coaching at a young age too - sound fundamentals are so important in baseball.

I played Class A ball for the Burlington Drifters back in the early 00's, had to give it up because I blew my hammy.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Lol Mig Jord was about to play in the Majors until he decided to go back to the beautiful game. That was definitely not a failure.

Lol JordCAN was batting .202 with 114 SOs. Why do you embarrass yourself so much Derp? Jordan could steal bases though... Deion and Bo > Jordcan for better examples.

So, to get back on topic. Athleticism in baseball = outfielders, shortstop/2b, stealing bases and then there is the gift of the arm for pitchers. However, being athletic doesn't just grant you any of this. For instance, stealing bases and running the bases is about knowing HOW to run the bases in baseball. You can have all the athleticism in the world but if you don't know how to run a base, slide or look out for the pitcher trying to pick you off and to get back to the base, well look at Yasiel Puig.

Baseball is about hand/eye coordination, mental game and KNOWLEDGE. Knowing what to do in every situation in less than a split second is a huge difference and key. Putting all that into the body of say a Mike Trout, well...there it is.gif

7CDxyqa.gif

P.S. Miguel Cabrera isn't as unathletic as you say. He has a very strong bat, hand/eye coordination up the wazoo and his knowledge of the game is probably currently still #1 as far as hitters go.

I played Class A ball for the Burlington Drifters back in the early 00's, had to give it up because I blew my hammy.

Feel free to ask any questions.

thanks man I'll freely admit I'm one of those "Dads" that's grooming his son to be a baseball prospect.

I think there might be some talent there. but he's only 6 we've been at it now for over two full years. I always get compliments from other dads in his lil league about how he's a "natural" and how good he is.

the thing is, I spend a ridiculous amount of time on batting, throwing, and catching like two to some times three hours per day. he enjoys batting, his throwing is so so his catching is legit good.

I'm asking because I don't know if I can keep up this pace for the next 12 years to try and make him a prospect.

I've already essentially stopped going to my BJJ class and it's only been a couple of years and I'm getting burned out because of the time I've invested in making him I guess "good" compared to other 6 and 7 year olds that are out there goofing around, still cant catch and need the Tee to hit.

I met Pete Rose a couple years back and though he looked tired instead of asking for a pic I asked him for any advice in making a "hitter". he said to throw at overhanded from the start.

so I've been doing all these slow to medium speed over hand pitches for two years damn near three hours per day and I think I'm getting tommy johns lol. seriously it's wearing me down just the time of it .

is two to three hours even normal at this age. I've read the whole 10,000 hours of practice philosophy that lyoto Machida talks about and am trying to do it to make my boy a prospect.

what's your thoughts? criticism is welcomed.

The old adage "you can do anything if you put your mind to it!" is an outright lie. Nah sometimes you're just not going to be able to do it, no matter how hard you work at it

We should stop lying to our children

thanks man I'll freely admit I'm one of those "Dads" that's grooming his son to be a baseball prospect.

I think there might be some talent there. but he's only 6 we've been at it now for over two full years. I always get compliments from other dads in his lil league about how he's a "natural" and how good he is.

the thing is, I spend a ridiculous amount of time on batting, throwing, and catching like two to some times three hours per day. he enjoys batting, his throwing is so so his catching is legit good.

I'm asking because I don't know if I can keep up this pace for the next 12 years to try and make him a prospect.

I've already essentially stopped going to my BJJ class and it's only been a couple of years and I'm getting burned out because of the time I've invested in making him I guess "good" compared to other 6 and 7 year olds that are out there goofing around, still cant catch and need the Tee to hit.

I met Pete Rose a couple years back and though he looked tired instead of asking for a pic I asked him for any advice in making a "hitter". he said to throw at overhanded from the start.

so I've been doing all these slow to medium speed over hand pitches for two years damn near three hours per day and I think I'm getting tommy johns lol. seriously it's wearing me down just the time of it .

is two to three hours even normal at this age. I've read the whole 10,000 hours of practice philosophy that lyoto Machida talks about and am trying to do it to make my boy a prospect.

You will probably make your kid hate the game and quit by the time he's 14.

lol two to three hours a day at 6 is not normal. pretty sure your kid may get burnt out before he even reaches high school. Give him a chance to be a kid.

The old adage "you can do anything if you put your mind to it!" is an outright lie. Nah sometimes you're just not going to be able to do it, no matter how hard you work at it

We should stop lying to our children

I guess that's what's been in the back of my mind of late. you've got three of the greatest athletes of all time in Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, and Michael Jordan 2 of which made the Majors and contributed but many baseball experts still only consider sanders, and Jackson somewhat "Average" by pro standards,

then there's Jordan who's non arguably the best basketball player in League history couldn't hit minor league pitching, and had the ball bouncing off his head in the out field.

so I'm investing all this time and quite frankly money. Prime 9 baseball academy in Spring Texas is like $120.00 for one our of private lessons with a former MLB pro. and will it pay off?

and i'll freely admit by "pay off" I mean make him a prospect. you know what fuck it man i'll be honest I'm trying to make a pro.

I guess that's what's been in the back of my mind of late. you've got three of the greatest athletes of all time in Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, and Michael Jordan 2 of which made the Majors and contributed but many baseball experts still only consider sanders, and Jackson somewhat "Average" by pro standards,

then there's Jordan who's non arguably the best basketball player in League history couldn't hit minor league pitching, and had the ball bouncing off his head in the out field.

so I'm investing all this time and quite frankly money. Prime 9 baseball academy in Spring Texas is like $120.00 for one our of private lessons with a former MLB pro. and will it pay off?

and i'll freely admit by "pay off" I mean make him a prospect. you know what fuck it man i'll be honest I'm trying to make a pro.

*facepalm

lol two to three hours a day at 6 is not normal. pretty sure your kid may get burnt out before he even reaches high school. Give him a chance to be a kid.

I respect your opinion Revo, you are a consistent poster. so my question to you is. if I said I let him play video games and ipad for two hours a day would you object?

Back