any advice, first BJJ class tomorrow

Show up on time.
have a clean gi.
relax and have fun.

nah, don't bother with a private session. go in there with the mentality to learn and have fun. NOT thinking about how many people you may tap. To put it plainly, you will get completely manhandled not only your first day, but for a long time. Just don't get frustrated and pissed off and never go back. Like Crooks said, DON'T be one of those guys that comes once and never comes back. Be a sponge, have a good time, and you'll get better quickly and will be tapping out the next "you's" in no time. Good Luck

ImTechn9que said:
thanks again for the advice, i couldn't make it sunday, but i went and checked out what it's like for about 15 mins the next day (didn't actually start yet b/c i couldn't get a ride until it was too late) and no one there was around my age which sucks, pretty much everyone was like 10+ years older than me (17) and this is a beginner's class 3 stripe white belts and below.

anyway i decided that i should probably start off with a priv. lesson first since i have no previous grappling experience at all just to learn some of the basics and then start going to group classes so i'm not completely lost when i first go.

You're 17, and most of the participants were 10 years older then you? Good. This way the guys you are training with are probably much bigger with you, are very experienced, and will whoop you time and time again. This way you will learn more faster, and be able to deal with size disadvantage. Not to mention the fact that they're maturity level will allow them to help you more as well. I say stick with it and have a good time.

wallsac said:
My advice- RELAX

don;t spaz out or panic or try and go 110% nuts...just work on what they show you...
i agree with this

I'm training traditional ju-jitsu, but there are a lot of similarities with BJJ. Anyhow, my first class consisted of learning the basic breakfalls, the major hip throw, the Americana (or entangled arm lock), the scarfhold, escaping the mount (Upa), and I forget what else. Plus, the standard 15 minutes of sparring at the end of class.

I've been training for about 3 months now, and those first few months are hard! You really have to learn to think on your feet, take the abuse, learn to conserve your energy, etc. It does get easier, but you get really sore the first few months of it. Then, your body toughens up and you can take (and dish out) more punishment. I submitted my first yellow belt (rough equivalent of BJJ blue belt, as far as I can tell) last week, but you have to get used to spending your time on your back and learning the escapes.

My dojo has a pretty high attrition rate, because the stuff is rough and some people either can't or won't want to handle it. Stick it out, and you'll do fine. Good luck.

1.) Anger is a secondary emotion...the root emotions are Hurt and Disappointment. The Hurt comes when you realize that you are not as tough as you thought. The Disappointment comes when you realize there is nothing you can do about it at that particular moment in time. Bottomline: Getting "pissed" is an absolute waste of time so don't bother.

2.) Tap early..tap often. I was getting hurt all the time because I was fighting submissions using strength instead of technique. Then I'd get "pissed" at the guy I was rolling with. As soon as I begain to accept that there is no shame in tapping sh*t started going a lot smoother. Bottomline: Don't be a DICK like I was tap.

3.) Go to class. MAT-TIME there is no real substitute. Conditioning is 75% of the game when you first start. Bottomline: It's common sense the more you train the quicker you will progress and the better your condition will be.

relax BREATHE, have fun , be humble, you are gonna have your ass handed to you for the next couple of months but its all about learning, take your lumps with joy, focus on the mat, and everytime you walk off of it you feel like your getting better, youll be getting dominated but realize " holy shit, last week i coulndt even see that coming, now im defending it.
theres is no better natural high than learning a new tech and pulling it off in sparring, youll get there but DONT QUIT. even after a "bad" day. jiujitsu will test how much you love it kinda like a woman, takr it in stride knowing soon youll walk out the dojo walking on air saying things like " man, my omaplata from the guard is SICK!" to people that know nothing about zhoozhit soooooo. have fun dont quit
Enjoy.

Back