anxious feeling and squat descents

Zeirhk said:
I dropped out of high school this semester, and I don't ever want to come back.

Should I get therapy ?

Uh.....I don't know, should you?

Zeirhk said:

Should I get therapy ?

You should probably get a swift kick in the pants. Do you have any solid plans on how to get by the rest of your life without a high school education?

Hah, honestly I dropped out for a real stupid reason. Social issues... okay, leave it at that. Not sure about therapy YET as I am confused. It's like my case isn't severe, but I get these feelings, it's weird...I can't explain it. I haven't been outside for a few months; except shitty ass min. wage job that I am surprised I had kept. Even in the shithole place I work in, I still get these anxieties...fuck.

I'll probably ignore it and perhaps my own mind can fix itself up..... :eek: I don't know what I'm talking about, really.

...I'm off to bed.

Hey, man, it sounds to me like you're lacking a little direction. Dropping out of highschool isn't going to permanently fuck up your life, but it probably wasn't the brightest thing to do. Life is a lot like weightlifting, you set your goals and then you go about accomplishing them in the most effective way possible.

What do you want to do with yourself? Where do you want to be in 10 years? Will you need an education to get there?

I'm concerned for you, dude. I don't like to see folks giving up on themselves. Re-enrollment might be a good idea. You can always try a different school.

I dunno. I suppose I sound a lot like a parent, but I geniunely want to know. What's going on here?

Zeirhk said:
Hah, honestly I dropped out for a real stupid reason. Social issues... okay, leave it at that. Not sure about therapy YET as I am confused. It's like my case isn't severe, but I get these feelings, it's weird...I can't explain it. I haven't been outside for a few months; except shitty ass min. wage job that I am surprised I had kept. Even in the shithole place I work in, I still get these anxieties...fuck.

Shit I thought you were kidding with your initial post. I've been in the same spot as you before, working a shitty job Monday to Friday, each day feels exactly the same, over and over. In this case you gotta shake up your "routine" and do something new, ideally something you'll enjoy. A friend of mine was in a similar rut so he ended up joining a intramural basketball league and it seemed to snap him out of it because he had something to look forward to each week. Now he's taking up the guitar as well. He's accepted his shitty job but he makes up for it by doing a lot of stuff he enjoys as well. Dan John always says that the harder you work, the harder you must play as well.

Zeirhk said:
I'll probably ignore it and perhaps my own mind can fix itself up..... :eek: I don't know what I'm talking about, really.

...I'm off to bed.

Ignoring it won't work, things never fix themselves.

Sonny said:
Shit I thought you were kidding with your initial post. I've been in the same spot as you before, working a shitty job Monday to Friday, each day feels exactly the same, over and over. In this case you gotta shake up your "routine" and do something new, ideally something you'll enjoy. A friend of mine was in a similar rut so he ended up joining a intramural basketball league and it seemed to snap him out of it because he had something to look forward to each week. Now he's taking up the guitar as well. He's accepted his shitty job but he makes up for it by doing a lot of stuff he enjoys as well. Dan John always says that the harder you work, the harder you must play as well.

Ignoring it won't work, things never fix themselves.

This is really good advice.

Work is fine, but do something interesting with your time outside of work, preferably with some social interaction. It is amazing where things can lead.

Bizzarro try finding a training partner to go to the gym with.

Zeirhk go to a community college to finish your highschool degree. You can be somewhat anonymous at a cc.

Alot of people have social disorder or lack confidence in social settings its the nature of the beast in the fragmented world we live in. Just gotta find your niche and as you get older if you get help it'll get better and your weaknesses can become strengths.

Both you guys should just try and be humble. Once your humble nothing can humilate you cause you've got nothing to prove.

As much as i hate Aerosmith;
Its everybodies sin
you've got to lose
to learn how to win

I think gyms are the most insecure places in our society. That might have something to do with it. I lift at a Bally's and the vibe in there is fuckinf creepy sometimes. I have to work out with headphones so I can zone out. For a while their sound system wasn't working and it would be dead silent in there with people just in awkward silence. I mean think about it, most people in there aren't training for anything, they're just trying to look good because most are insecure, not all of course, but most. Just get some headphones, do what you need to do and forget about everyody else.

Thanks for the comments on my other reply. THe net can really ease things up a bit, sometimes. And I think I am having the same problem as Bizarro. I am afraid to take action. I had the same feeling with work, If I hadn't worked for a while, I get that weird feeling of coming back. Same thing with school (I dropped out).

Not looking for sympathy here, cause I ain't depressed or anything, just pissed off at my personality type, and my decisions.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try and relax a bit more and make an effort to change a few things in my life and see if that will help.

hey im fucked up too....here's my 2 cents...

If your insecurity is isolated to the gym, figure out why. Are you self conscious about your body? Is there some one there that bothers you? Dont want to fuck up a lift in front of everyone? There are endless things you could be worrying about. People who worry tend to create things for themselves(I KNOW, im the king). Here's the truth, Insecurities are bull shit, its you letting your mind mess with you. BULLSHIT.... ESPECIALLY YOURS!!! This isnt meant as an insult, so hear me out.

You're worried about a squat pr!? Squat PR!? Thats a bad ass thing dude. You raise yourself above the gym rats by simply squatting. On top of that, you're lifiting to get strong. Thats a rare thing in gyms these days. The average man bitch going in there is trying to set a pr in the size of his biceps. FUCK THAT, I KEEPS IT REAL. Be proud of that PR, doesnt matter what the weight is. Its for you, and about you, and nothing else matters.

without getting into the psychotherapy....

you should be psyched to go to the gym. it's the highlight of my day. All morning is dedicated to what I'm going to do, all afternoon is dedicated to recovery, all night is dedicated to starting it all over again. I feel like hammered shit when I miss a workout.

Are you afraid of being crushed by the bar? Setup the rack with the pins up high enough to save your ass. Practice getting down far enough for a good squat (ass to heels!!!!!) and let it hit the pins, set it in the pins, get out from under it. the pins are there to help. I've had to help a few newbs learn that even if your legs completely crumble to dust, you won't get crushed.

I show them that you can set 315 on the pins, hard, from 3 feet away with no harm.

Afraid of looking like a pussy? go to the gym at odd hours, catch up. You are already ahead of the game by doing squats.

you should do deadlifts too. squats, deadlifts, bench press all recruit lots of muscle fiber and increase testosterone production. Test' will help you feel better too.

just go lift, you'll learn to love the endorphins.

wrassler

I don't really know why I get that feeling. I'm also not sure if I feel insecure about myself, but if I go to the gym, I don't think I really do. It also has to do with the way I am feeling about myself right now. Mainly, I feel like shit due to a bunch of things, and this has been going on and off for a few years. But mostly I think it is due to the way I act in social environments. I feel like doing something or saying something, but I can't think of anything and it later gets to me and I get angry. Like how others are fine but I'm not or something. But I will finally be seeking help from someone now. I think lifting and getting stronger and healthier is a good way to boost up confidence, so I'll definetely be sticking with it. All that about me getting anxious probably has to do with the way I am around other people most of the time. I do not also think that I'm usually bothered too much by others or getting embarassed, but sometimes people will come up to me and give me advice that I know is wrong, but then it is like, I do the same thing next week, will they keep telling me so and so..? Other then that, I think I am good about actually lifting and minding my own business and not giving a fuck of what others think.

But like I mentioned before, I think all of this has to do with the way I am around others, especially things like school (Do not start talking in group conversations, keeping to myself all the time in class, etc. ). I am now tired of it and do not want to go on with my days like this so hopefully I will get some help and start trying to make something good happen for myself so that I am happier.

Good luck man, we're on the same boat here. I can't afford therapy it's expensive. I'll try and help myself out though....(in the meantime).

Here are some tips you or anyone else should take to heart. It will help you. Everything is always easier said than done. But just read, copy the text, print it out or whatever you want. Just learn it. And use it to your knowledge.

First is you have to ACCEPT your problem. You have to tell yourself "Ok, I feel a little anxious when I go train. It's not the best thing that could've happend but It happend and that's the way it is."
It is OKAY to feel that way. Nothing is wrong with you. ALOT of people feel anxious over various things. Probably people close to you that you've never ever thought are feeling that way. Anxious is a human defense mechanism. So nothing is WRONG. So the feeling isn't wrong. It's just that it happens at the wrong time! That's all!

When you've accepted it you'll have to start fighting it. Depending on how much anxiety you get, this can be hard at times. But it will get better eventually. I promise. So you're feeling anxious. You go do it anyway. You'll have to convince yourself that nothing is going to happen. You're not gonna die. You're not gonna get sick. All there is to is a feeling you have inside of you. Though it may not be pleasant, it's still just a FEELING. Tell yourself that that's all it is. And if it's something that won't kill you or make you sick or anything, that means you CAN DO it and nothing is going to happen.

So it doesn't matter how nervous or worried you are, you can still do it. Like I said, it may be hard at times. And it might take some time to prove to yourself that nothing is happening besides getting that feeling. Eventually you should challenge that feeling. So you're in the gym, alot of people there. You're feeling anxious.

At THAT moment, tell yourself "F*CK this feeling. It's just a feeling. I'm not gonna let something like that BEAT me. I'm stronger than that f*cking axiety feeling. And I know nothing is going to happen."

So you step up and start training. You might feel anxious still. Or it might come back. When it does, take five seconds and breathe and then MAKE yourself stay. MAKE yourself continue training. Because again, NOTHING is happening to you. You are still you. You're bodily values aren't changing. You're still the same type of human being you were two years ago when you didn't have that feeling. Get mad if you have to. Be stubborn. Don't let something like a silly little feeling BEAT you. You are going to WIN. Not the axiety. YOU are.

So the feeling might come. So what!? Tell yourself: "COME ON. I HOPE it comes so I can beat it. Like it's gonna beat me? Yeah f*cking right. BRING IT AND I'LL BEAT IT". And IF it comes. YOU BEAT IT. You do what your feeling tells you not to do. That's how you beat it. If you wanna beat Mike Tyson in the ring, you punch him in the face. You wanna beat anxiety? You do what it tells you not to do. Be stubborn. You are the man of you. Nothing and no one else.

Even if you feel sick. That's just the axiety playing games with you. To try to make you leave or stop training. NOTHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN. So f*ck that feeling. KEEP TRAINING ANYWAYS. No matter how you feel. If you're feeling sick. Even if you're feeling like you have to run out of there. Your instinct will tell you not to train. You do it ANYWAY. Because NOTHING is going to happen. I SWEAR that nothing is going to happen if you stay when you feel like you should leave. NOTHING. NADA. I PROMISE you that. Again, I PROMISE you nothing is going to happen. Fight that instinct!

You're not the first person to feel anxious over something. There are other people in the same situation you are in. There are other people who have been in that situation and beat it. You WILL too.

I wish you the best of luck.

Take care. And FIGHT through it!

Hamit Aktas said:
You wanna beat anxiety? You do what it tells you not to do. Be stubborn.

That'S key. I had a girlfriend who had panic disorder w/ agoraphobia (not saying this is what you have, but it might be in the same family). She took like 3 months of cognitivo-behavioral therapy, and the one thing they said from day 1 was DO NOT AVOID WHAT MAKES YOU ANXIOUS.

Example:
If you dread going to movie theaters, pick someone you trust and go with him/her.

Next time, go alone.

Same thing for the restaurant AND same thing for the gym.
Etc...That is also a matter of training. Now she is fine, she very rarely has any of those panic attacks and when she does, she controls them.

AND GET STRONGER. QUICK. It will help you with confidence.
Good luck man.

Zeirhk said:

Should I get therapy ?
one of my friends did the exact same thing.

he dropped out of high school in grade 10 said he was coming back for 2nd semester... he did and thne just didnt come and dropped out again. he had mad depression problems but took meds and we all thought he was alright... untill school started and he just never came. we havnt seen him in a few months we call him to hang every once in a while but he wont come out...

r i l e y said:
one of my friends did the exact same thing.

he dropped out of high school in grade 10 said he was coming back for 2nd semester... he did and thne just didnt come and dropped out again. he had mad depression problems but took meds and we all thought he was alright... untill school started and he just never came. we havnt seen him in a few months we call him to hang every once in a while but he wont come out...

Yeah I think my friends gave up on me. I never wanted to go out anymore either. Can't blame them though, it ain't there problem.

Put on your headphones, crank up the rob zombie, take 4 giant breaths before each lift and think that you are 3 times bigger than you really are. Convince yourself that you are an absolute animal and that you will destroy any weight you lift. Become and absolute beast before every lift.....it makes a difference.

ps. stop being a pussy

Make sure your eating enough meat, no im serious if your not go get a hamburger or somthing because i heard that can do it to ya.

Back