Anxiety reason?

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by EvoStyle, Sep 7, 2010.

1. EvoStyle

EvoStyle Banned Banned

Hello sherdoggers,
    After nearly 7 months of almost 0 workout and focusing on my studies, i decided to go back to the gym and start a training program that will eventually lead me to restart my BJJ classes. Lemme start of by saying i suffer from a little depression throughout the week mainly because i wasn't doing any exercise and some problems that life throws at student. Decided to take supplements to help me build muscle and get leaner which are Whey protien, glutamine, mega men sport multi vitamins, BCAA, and fish oils. This is the 5th day now and those anxiety attacks are increasing even though im doing exercise which lead me to believe that from all of those supplements, the sport vitamins and BCAA Are having the most effect on my mood. Just wanna know am i right with this? Does these mood swings go as soon as my body gets used to the supplements after not taking any for 5 months. Also this is my first time using BCAA.. Or is this unusual and best to be recommended to see a doctor? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

2. EvoStyle

EvoStyle Banned Banned

Just found this on body building.com
    "however, in people who are prone to sleep disturbances, to anxiety or depression, excess of BCAAs can worsen or lead to an exacerbation of those problems due to competitive inhibition of the uptake of tyrosine and tryptophan through the blood-brain-barrier."
    Excess BCAA's - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Might lower the required amount by half and see how the anxiety acts.

3. jjfishing

jjfishing White Belt

I have had really bad anxiety since I was 16 and I'm 31 now. Supplements and a lot of medicines can make it a lot worse. I can't even take cold or alergy meds without getting really jittery and anxious, sometimes even full blown panic attacks. Now I just take a multivitamin and fish oil and try to watch my diet and I don't have too many problems. If it gets worse see a doctor there are a lot of things out there that help with anxiety.

4. bobthebuilder

bobthebuilder Special Belt

a friend of mine had anxiety problems, he said he got over it by imagining himself sexually dominating hot girls, also he got a nice gf, now I don't think he has any panic attacks and he is one of the best people I know.

5. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Why not just drop the supplements (leave the fish oil and multi) and keep working out and see how you feel?

6. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

I doubt the BCAA's exacerbate anxiety that much. First of all, unless you're taking them in a liquid form, most BCAA pills are relatively low doses, I couldn't see them actually inhibiting anything in the blood-brain barrier. Secondly, if you're taking them pre-workout, theoretically, they're all used up by the time you're done.

Also, the Mega Men Sport vitamins are not very strong, they're no stronger than the original Mega Men (which means next time, don't waste the extra $$ on them).

If anything, it's most likely just the stress of exercise, particularly if the rest of your life is stressful and you don't sleep very well as it is and are prone to depression. During exercise, the body is in a relative state of panic, cortisol increases, as does adrenaline, which both of those can and will directly onset panic attacks. Especially if you don't come down easily from it after the workout. A supplement, unless it directly effects the adrenal system (which nothing you named would be potent enough to do so), wouldn't make that big of a difference unless it was a strong stimulant, or something with yohimbine (which is an adrenaline mimetic).

One thing you could try, if you have trouble sleeping...and I'd be surprised if you don't, is taking tryptophan directly before bed. It can have similar effects as SSRI drugs do, if taken in high enough doses, and it's safe enough to experiment with. Source Naturals makes a pretty pure one. This will not only help with the anxiety, but it'll also help the depression overall. The object is to cause a serotonin washout in the brain (because most people aren't serotonin deficient, they're serotonin saturated and dopamine deficient). This will allow a lot of it to be dumped and better converted to melatonin, which means you'll sleep better. Then your dopamine levels will rise correspondingly, and you'll feel a lot more clear on things. Fair warning, though, don't take the tryp and then do everything you can to stay awake despite feeling sleepy, that will make it a thousand times worse. The sleep is necessary.

7. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Great post.

8. Blackice

Blackice Orange Belt

I'm taking 5 mg of melatonin before bed right now, and so far it's done absolutely nothing to enhance my sleep quality. I still sleep as shitty as I ever did. I even tried taking my Mg and zinc not long before bed and again....nothing changed. The tryptophan I have yet to try, so if the melatonin hasn't made a distinct difference after I up the dosage to 10 mg, that may be next in line.

9. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

That sucks man, hope it works for you. If melatonin does work, does it eventually become less effective?

10. Blackice

Blackice Orange Belt

I've heard that you really shouldn't take melatonin because eventually it will mess with your own natural production of it, so I've been hesitant to use it, but it was on sale, and obviously my own melatonin production must suck to begin with, so I thought I'd give it a try. I figured I'd start with a 5 mg dosage for a week, see if it helped any and if not try doubling it since it says on the bottle that I can. I won't go any higher than 10 mg though. If that doesn't work I'll just simply keep trying different things and hope that I find something that works for me. I have NO idea what it's like to be able to go to bed, fall asleep quickly and have 8 hours of uninterrupted deep sleep and to wake up feeling energized and ready to go. It sucks because I'm sure it's holding me back in my muscle gains, and a lot of my training has to be mind over matter because of my shitty sleep quality. I'm still doing pretty good regardless, so I can just imagine whjat it would be like if my body could actually recover properly.

11. scottm

scottm Green Belt

Try less, like 1mg or even 1/2 ... lower doses are supposed to work better with melatonin.

12. MCon

MCon White Belt

I've suffered from anxiety for a while now and since anxiety and depression are closely linked,both a lack of seratonine, ?I figure the best advice to give you is to go on some medication. I currently take effexor and its completely changed my life. A million times better.

13. mrpunch

mrpunch Orange Belt

I have had a history of anxiety/depression & sleep problems as well as a family history of both. Seemed like always as I was trying to fall asleep even when tired I would get a flood of thoughts and minor problems always seemed to magnify. My attitude was I just need to suck it up and it will go away and was always hesitant to seek a professionals advice, long story short I now take seroquil at bedtime and it has made a huge difference in my sleeping patterns, now I can actually go to bed at the same time & know I will get my 8hrs, plus I haven't needed to use an alarm in a long time. By all means try natural remedies but at some point if they don't work and it is causing problems in your life don't be afraid to talk to a Dr about it. Just my $0.02

14. OlyLowLife**

OlyLowLife** Blue Belt

Just start running, thats how I dominated my anxiety and depression. The combo of endorphines getting released into your brain and also feeling good about how you look is enough to do the job.

15. Todd Gack

Todd Gack Dutch

Since I started taking Quercetin for prostatitis I noticed somewhat of a reduction in my anxiety. I experience more a general feeling of wellbeing but I notice my lack of anxiety the most at night when I'm going to sleep. My mind is no longer buzzing with worry.

Shitty thing is, no one knows what the long term affects of Quercetin is/are so I'm not sure I want to keep taking it for extended periods of time.

16. templewarrior

templewarrior Blue Belt

Oh yeah....I feel your pain! Two months ago I had my first anxiety attack and called for ambulance to take me to hospital. I thought I was going to die. Had no idea what was happening. I suffered for the next two weeks of extreme emotions of regret and sorrow for other people but that gradually diminished. I cut out all caffeine and that for sure helped me. One woman that I know has had them for long time and would go into seizures, they were that bad and a dr. told her about a all natural product that would help. She has taken it for quite awhile and swears how good it is. Never a attack again. Cannot think of it offhand but if you interested, I can get name for you.

17. Sinister

Sleep is a touchy issue. There could be a thousand reasons why you can't. Everything from light toxicity, to high electromagnetic fields from electronics in your room, to an actual chemical imbalance in the brain (often caused by light toxicity).

But as for melatonin causing a down-regulation, nah. That's been refuted in medical studies, it's one of those things where it made sense to say because a lot of things do get down-regulated in the body, so on paper it looks correct, but it's not panned-out that way in any clinical trials that I know of. So at the very least, you ARE getting a potent anti-oxidant. Just make sure when you attempt to sleep there's no light on your body (your chryptochrome cells will register it, and THAT will stop serotonin/melatonin conversion), power points are off, cool temperatures, but some source of white noise, etc. All the normal sleep hygiene. Tryptophan may work if melatonin simply does nothing. It may get expensive, but it has all the benefits of SSRI drugs, just without the side-effects.

18. EvoStyle

EvoStyle Banned Banned

All your replies are helpful and i do think that seeing professional help will be the best solution.. mostly just to solve my bad sleeping patterns. Also after my 1st post i stopped taking bcca after the workout (only before) and anxiety attacks have really went down. Like i said not doing any any exercise for 7 months then starting again with all these supplants really had an effect on my brain.

19. Sinister

Here's one reason why that could have happened, but I thought it was a stretch because I've not seen anyone make it happen with simple BCAA's, but there's a first time for everything I guess.

Leucine is insulinogenic, which is bad for natural cortisol levels. It could raise them even higher in high enough doses. This is one reason I often suggest some clients back off their protein intake because athletes tend to overdo it, which could interfere with their goals. So if you were taking in enough of that to keep cortisol levels that high, which would slow the coming down process from a work out, it makes some sense. It's just not very common. But you're right in thinking the sleep disorder is at the bottom of it, not the supplements. Being serotonin-saturated (which keeps cortisol higher than it should be as well) in the first place is the root of the problem.

20. WitchCraft

WitchCraft Blue Belt

I had anxiety issues when I first started lifting/doing BJJ. The night of a training session, I would have trouble sleeping and have severe panic attacks to the point where I would start avoiding the gym. I wasn't taking any supplements realy besides occassionally taking fish oil ( I really suck with staying on top of taking my vitamins) But I continued going to the gym and toughed it out and eventually, the workouts started to have a positive effect. I also cleaned up my diet (less carbs/sugar/caffeine) and started taking a calcium/magnesium supplement which I read a lot about its calming effect and how many people with anxiety/depression have a deficiency in magnesium. You mighht want to look into that.

The best of luck to you, I feel your pain!